KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » What example of plot induced stupidity (PIS) is your most/least liked in a film?

What example of plot induced stupidity (PIS) is your most/least liked in a film?
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

What example of plot induced stupidity (PIS) is your most/least liked in a film?

A lot of people I speak to don't know what plot induced stupidity (PIS) is. Take Star Wars episode IV, for example:

"Hold your fire. Scans indicate no life forms on that escape pod that just launched."

"Sir, we just boarded a mock freighter that is a front for the Rebel Alliance. The Alliance has stolen Death Star plans that they plan to use to overthrow the Imperial government. You're telling me to leave that pod alone, even though we're arresting radical militants with plans of espionage? As if they wouldn't go to any means to protect their plans? How stupid are you, sir?"

"By gum, you're right, gunner. Open fire and blast the shit out of that pod! Lord Vader will give us promotions for this!"

"Yes, sir! Long live the Empire!"

Yeah. If it happened like that, we wouldn't have a saga. Hence, we have PIS.

So many movies have PIS in them. What are some examples of PIS that you like and dislike?

Tell us why!

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 28th, 2011 07:30 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Like: Obi-Wan not finishing off Anakin at the end of ROTS. I'm 0kay with this scene because Obi-Wan is a compassionate person and its clear that despite whats happened he still loves Anakin as a brother and can't bare to crawl down a hill and coldly execute him like that. Its definately an understandable and human mistake for him to make, even if it was really dumb and he should have at least confirmed he was dead before leaving.

Dislike: Anakin or the Jedi never going back for his mother before AOTC. Thats just stupid.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2011 08:13 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Predator 2

A LA cop defeating a predator.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 06:14 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

X-Men 1st Class.

At the beginning of the movie when Sebastian kills Eric's mother.
Eric shows his anguish & rage by killing the 2 soldiers but does NO HARM to Sebastian at all.

He then spends the rest of the movie & his adulthood hunting him down.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 07:25 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Predator 2

A LA cop defeating a predator.

Considering Danny Glover was the star of the movie & his character was a LA cop....that doesn't really call for plot induced stupidity.

You're forgetting too that the predator was heavily injured, had one hand severed & was missing his shoulder gun, even a rookie could've defeated it.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 07:32 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Its still PIS

i can understand maybe an elite soldier beating one but a LA cop erm

the book which the movies story is based on makes alot more sense with it being Dutch Schaefer's brother.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 07:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilAngel
Over the hills

Kill Bill - How a group of supposedly elite assassins leave what I would assume to be a hugely dangerous hit alive. I like it because it's just so painfully ironic. The merchants of death who can't even do it right without being paid. They should have kept her, she's apparently the only one beside the cyclops who is any good at her job =D

Indiana Jones; Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Refridgerator. Nuff said.

I will most certainly be back for more, but these are the only things that come to mind initially. Good thread idea.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 09:54 AM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by Kazenji
Its still PIS

i can understand maybe an elite soldier beating one but a LA cop erm

the book which the movies story is based on makes alot more sense with it being Dutch Schaefer's brother.

Not neccessarily, by that time the Predator was heavily injured like Esau Cairn said, not to mention it didn't have it's invisibility cloak/laser which it relied on far too much. Also, did you see the hardware Harrigan carried around with him? And it's not as if he took it on hand to hand, he had a weapon at all times during his encounters.

If anything, you could say Dutch had PIS working for him more when the Pred was smacking him around like it was a structured fight, considering it aced Billy in an instant who only had a knife.

Last edited by Lord Shadow Z on Sep 29th, 2011 at 03:39 PM

Old Post Sep 29th, 2011 03:36 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mine would be another star wars related one...Why didn't obi wan use force speed when qui gonn was fighting maul to get through the force fields in one shot? they were shown to be able to do it when they ran from the roller droids. if he did then qui gonn would still be alive and all the mess afterward would likely have been avoided. numpty

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2011 01:22 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Well, all the Harry Potter films were check your brain at the door unless you read the books, or had someone next to you in the theatre who could explain what was going on. So I don't know if that's a bad thing for the people whose brains had to be checked - or if all the poked holes made for an extremely confusing film set.

Can anyone comment regarding that?

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2011 08:58 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I get irked when I watch the dark knight and they don't blame two-face's murder streak on the joker.

I really like that flick so I try not to think about that. Someone want to explain that one to me?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Oct 1st, 2011 09:50 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mardook
Easier said than done!

Shocked

Vanishing on 7th Street.

(SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT)

Much of the movie makes no sense. Although this is about Plot Induced Stupidity.

1. The scene where the lone female character goes running out onto the street because she hears her baby crying. She knows full well that her baby is long gone at this point, so this makes this scene extra stupid and obvious. I hate it when movies do this... nose diving moments like this kill the movies.

2. Another one happens later on in the movie when the little boy runs into the church thinking his mom is there... the plot does this so the Hayden Christiansen character gets offed next. Not that that is a real big issue.

Off-topic:
I wish someone would remake this movie... it had some legitimately creepy scenes. The hallway scene with Hayden's character at the news station is one.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2011 04:03 AM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Originally posted by Quincy
I get irked when I watch the dark knight and they don't blame two-face's murder streak on the joker.

I really like that flick so I try not to think about that. Someone want to explain that one to me?

The don't blame it on the Joker because it was Dent's decision to go completely mad. That was the point of the "nurse" scene, when the Joker helped Harvey lodge the gun against the Joker's forehead. He sincerely didn't care if he died - he just wanted to knock Dent of the sanity wagon... and once that happened, Two-Face's actions were his responsibility. Through the movie we get an example that perhaps Dent is not the shining knight he is portrayed to be - when he takes off in the ambulance with the paranoid schizophrenic and plays Russian Roulette with him - Batman has to come and explain that he's going to get no where through violence.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2011 06:38 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Originally posted by siriuswriter
The don't blame it on the Joker because it was Dent's decision to go completely mad. That was the point of the "nurse" scene, when the Joker helped Harvey lodge the gun against the Joker's forehead. He sincerely didn't care if he died - he just wanted to knock Dent of the sanity wagon... and once that happened, Two-Face's actions were his responsibility. Through the movie we get an example that perhaps Dent is not the shining knight he is portrayed to be - when he takes off in the ambulance with the paranoid schizophrenic and plays Russian Roulette with him - Batman has to come and explain that he's going to get no where through violence.

I mean why did they think it was smarter to blame it on Batman, than on the Joker?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2011 07:39 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Originally posted by Quincy
I mean why did they think it was smarter to blame it on Batman, than on the Joker?

I agree with this one.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2011 08:59 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Not neccessarily, by that time the Predator was heavily injured like Esau Cairn said, not to mention it didn't have it's invisibility cloak/laser which it relied on far too much. Also, did you see the hardware Harrigan carried around with him? And it's not as if he took it on hand to hand, he had a weapon at all times during his encounters.

If anything, you could say Dutch had PIS working for him more when the Pred was smacking him around like it was a structured fight, considering it aced Billy in an instant who only had a knife.

Seriously, none noticed how the predator went from being a highly efficiant killer to worthless junk?

I mean it takes out the entire team that is meant to capture it, well aware of what limits it has in regards to it's cloaking, the next scene (where the cop is involved) the predator is suddenly standing like a complete moron "well I guess I never have experienced water before" then Harrigan, by some freaking miracle manages to hit the Predators laser cannon on the first burst fire he unleashes, etc. etc.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2011 09:16 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by mardook
Vanishing on 7th Street.

(SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT)

Much of the movie makes no sense. Although this is about Plot Induced Stupidity.

1. The scene where the lone female character goes running out onto the street because she hears her baby crying. She knows full well that her baby is long gone at this point, so this makes this scene extra stupid and obvious. I hate it when movies do this... nose diving moments like this kill the movies.

2. Another one happens later on in the movie when the little boy runs into the church thinking his mom is there... the plot does this so the Hayden Christiansen character gets offed next. Not that that is a real big issue.

Off-topic:
I wish someone would remake this movie... it had some legitimately creepy scenes. The hallway scene with Hayden's character at the news station is one.

I don't feel that both the plight of the mother & later the little boy fell on plot induced stupidity...

Neither the audience or the characters in the movie knew what was happening...or for that matter why it happened & why they seemed to be the only ones left alive.

The only reason & sense of reality both mother & little boy had was that one had a daughter & the other a mother who promised she'd come back. I mean in real life there's still parents who grasp on blind-hope that their missing child would one day just turn up or be found after years have past.

Lastly, I don't think a remake would do it justice. The low budget, the limited acting ability of the cast & the unknown of what actually happened wouldn't hold together with a bigger budget & better cast.

It was a good movie for what it was.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 07:24 AM
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Any movie where tons of bad guys surround the good guy, yet the bad guys only attach one at a time.

One I really like (because it is making fun of the concept intentionally) is Austin Powers when Dr. Evil and Scott argue about how to kill Austin Powers. Scott suggests just shooting him, but Dr. Evil wants to do something slow and elaborate, which gives way for Powers to escape.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2011 07:07 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Utrigita
[B]Seriously, none noticed how the predator went from being a highly efficiant killer to worthless junk?

Wasn't it implied somewhere that this was a young, in-experienced predator on his first hunt to prove his "manhood"?

That's why all the other Predators (at the end of the film, carrying his body away) never interfered.

Unlike the 1st Predator against Arnie who was a seasoned & skilled hunter/killer.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2011 01:37 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Not to mention the entire Fast & Furious series is just one big load of P.I.S.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2011 04:29 AM