KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The books to the films

The books to the films
Started by: kjm87

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
kjm87

The books to the films

I've just started reading the books again, and must say that there are quite big differences between the books and the films. I suppose it's because I read the books ages before I watched the films, and didn't think anything of it. Am I correct in saying, that in the films the Fellowship were in the mines for hardly any time at all, yet in the books I think it was months. Also when Frodo Sam Merry and Pippin were travelling through the old forest, and before that, they met a lot of people who weren't featured in the first film. Can someone help me on this part? When Gandalf visits Saruman, he is imprisoned at the top of a tower, but I never read anything about that in the book.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2003 07:39 PM
kjm87 is currently offline Click here to Send kjm87 a Private Message Find more posts by kjm87 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

They weren't in moria for months in the movie either...mearly days.
I think gandalf is imprisoned in the book as well.

The main differences i noticed were the time the hobbits took to reach bree....it's considerably longer than in the movie.
And the part where gandalf leaves the ring to frodo while he goes to do some research on it...he reteruns after some good years back in hobbiton. In the movies we understand he comes almost right back.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2003 08:03 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrixStar
I see you

They leave the entire part out about the old forrest, and meeting Tom Bombadier (sp) and the part where frodo and the other 3 got captured by ugh what were they called, frodo chopped off the hand of the wallking arm and they sang that song and Tom came and helped them again.

Also when Frodo first got the ring in the book, and Gandalf left to gather his info to see if it was the one ring int he book he was gone for 9 years.

I just started reading the books ive finished the first 2. I was rather frustrated with the amount of things they left out. Of course if they put them all in the movies would be 10 hours each.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2003 09:39 AM
TrixStar is currently offline Click here to Send TrixStar a Private Message Find more posts by TrixStar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

they cut out the old forest, yes. it was necessary

Old Post Mar 24th, 2003 10:17 AM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indee.d The focus of the film needed to be on the Fellowship itself- not the journey to Bree which was not vital to the main plot.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 24th, 2003 12:35 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

the movie would be too long if they go with the book.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2003 02:05 PM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

hey, if you're not a fan..i bet the movie's even a lil boring.
The fellowship isn't that action packed as it is

Old Post Mar 24th, 2003 08:15 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moogly

quote:
Originally posted by Dexx
hey, if you're not a fan..i bet the movie's even a lil boring.
The fellowship isn't that action packed as it is

Yup ur right the two towers is way better.... stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 4th, 2003 06:33 AM
Moogly is currently offline Click here to Send Moogly a Private Message Find more posts by Moogly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

They are both great films...and books.

I found a list of rumored changes for ROTK. It might open with [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the reforging of Narsil if you didn't already know.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2003 03:47 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

naah..space kid. I liked fotr better

Old Post Apr 4th, 2003 07:16 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Both are good, now be quiet...

Old Post Apr 5th, 2003 01:34 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

definately a big difference, but I think the movies may be better at least to me...b/c I saw them first...the books are interesting though

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2003 03:27 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

nooks gives u more, ill give it that, but movies every one likes.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2003 01:15 PM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

*sigh stilll chugging through ROTK

Old Post May 5th, 2003 04:02 AM
Julie is currently offline Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote