KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Started by: Phanteros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
"Less interesting"? They look just as interesting the ones in Smash Bros.
There will never be a character on Sony more interesting than a multiversal plummer who fights his way through impossibly ridiculous worlds and lands to save a princess with seemingly no functional power or office who gets kidnapped constantly by an enormous kappa capable of building galaxies for the sole purpose of being a dickhead to said plumber.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 08:26 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Originally posted by Bro SMASH
"Less interesting"? They look just as interesting the ones in Smash Bros.

Right, who would choose this group of characters over Mario, link, donkey kong, samus, captain falcon, Fox McCloud and sonic the hedgehog? Less interesting sounds right on the money to me.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 08:55 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
There will never be a character on Sony more interesting than a multiversal plummer who fights his way through impossibly ridiculous worlds and lands to save a princess with seemingly no functional power or office who gets kidnapped constantly by an enormous kappa capable of building galaxies for the sole purpose of being a dickhead to said plumber.
What you've described is a premise. The actual character within that premise, Mario, is essentially a mute with no personality.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 09:20 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
What you've described is a premise. The actual character within that premise, Mario, is essentially a mute with no personality.

Like all Nintendo characters. cool

Anyone who thinks Mario is an interesting character is suffering from a severe case of Nintalgia.

Originally posted by ares834
I don't know Parappa or Fat Princess.

Parappa is a from the PS1 classic Parappa the Rapper, and Fat Princess is a PSN game of capture the flag except the flag is a kidnapped Princess who you feed cake to make it harder for the other team to rescue her.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Apr 28th, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 11:03 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

This game is such a blatant copy/rip-off of Smash Brothers, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't filed a claim or at least called them on it.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 12:38 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Originally posted by KingD19
This game is such a blatant copy/rip-off of Smash Brothers, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't filed a claim or at least called them on it.
That will be like Id trying to sue all of the FPS makers for stealing their ideas, Rockstar suing anybody who made a open world game like GTA. SB doesn't have the patent on fighting games. But I trust Nintendo to have more class to not even acknowledge this game's existence, as that will be more damaging to this game than them calling on it for being a blatant rip.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 01:51 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

Hmm...someone's a bit TOO big of a Nintendo fan here.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
Right, who would choose this group of characters over Mario, link, donkey kong, samus, captain falcon, Fox McCloud and sonic the hedgehog? Less interesting sounds right on the money to me.

Who would choose those characters? Obviously PlayStation fans.

The only people who find these characters uninteresting are probably those are not all that familiar with them.

Originally posted by KingD19

It's inspired by Smash Bros., not a copy/rip-off. It's also not the first time it's been done either (Jump Superstars Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble, Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion) so why should Nintendo fuss over it? It would sound ridiculous.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Last edited by Bro SMASH on Apr 28th, 2012 at 02:18 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 02:14 PM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Lets not kid our selves, it's fully a Smash Bros. rip off... only in HD, with better characters, on a console with a better controller (which happens to be the best fighting game controller), and better online play.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Apr 28th, 2012 at 02:33 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 02:30 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

I kind of hope they add Cloud to the game. FFVII was such a big seller for the PlayStation so it makes a lot of sense for him to be in this game. Him and Sephiroth.

Lightning may also have a chance to get in since she's recent.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Lets not kid our selves, it's fully a Smash Bros. rip off... only in HD, with better characters, on a console with a better controller (which happens to be the best fighting game controller), and better online play.

Inspired, not "rip-off".

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 02:33 PM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Dante, Cloud, Snake, Ezio (or Connor) for 3rd party would be my assumption.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 02:57 PM
BruhMan
World Champion

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

How are these better characters? If you mean they have better or more fleshed out stories that alone doesn't make them a better character. So what makes these characters better than the icons of smash who will probably still be talked about 20 years from now?

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 03:22 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

^ What if Sony put Crash Bandicoot on this "rip-off" game...considering how he was supposed to be Sony's answer to the likes of Mario anyhow.

Well....I would like Crash anyway no expression

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 03:44 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by JayDaDon
How are these better characters? If you mean they have better or more fleshed out stories that alone doesn't make them a better character. So what makes these characters better than the icons of smash who will probably still be talked about 20 years from now?

The same thing that makes Jean Valjean a better character than Big Bird. Depth. Nuance. Pathos. The fact that they actually have personalities and back stories. Mario is a character only in the vaguest, most basic sense of the term. He might be a more popular intellectual property, but he isn't a better character... he is barely a character at all. One rung above Pac-Man. Nintendo focuses %100 on game play with no emphasis on story, character development and plotting which is fine because the target demo is children, but the end result is recognizable but underdeveloped characters.

The only well defined, complex and "good" character in Smash Bros is Solid Snake.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 03:53 PM
CosmicComet

This will be better than Smash Brothers as a game.

Let's not think otherwise. Everything Nintendo gets to market first that Sony seems to copy(PS Move's copyright existed well before the Wii btw), Sony always improves on.

Also, barring Link and Captain Falcon, I prefer Sony's characters by far over Nintendo's.

Last edited by CosmicComet on Apr 28th, 2012 at 06:25 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 06:23 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Yet his actual character is less interesting than that of his younger brother.

Your nerdrage and nerdboner for Nintendo is reaching dangerous levels.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 06:39 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

It's bound to be better than that TMNT one, but considering the most consistent issue with shameless Smash Bros. ripoffs is the fact that they're all extremely skimpy on content compared to Smash Bros., then this game has yet to prove itself as an exception until we can actually play it; just because it's another shameless rip-off doesn't mean they have to cheapen the potential experience and refuse to build on anything.

Still, I'd'a thunk Sega would try their hand at this kind of game before Sony would, considering the last blatant rip-off Sega did of Nintendo was with the All-Stars Racing game, which was still good nonethless.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 06:50 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

Originally posted by CosmicComet
This will be better than Smash Brothers as a game.

Let's not think otherwise. Everything Nintendo gets to market first that Sony seems to copy(PS Move's copyright existed well before the Wii btw), Sony always improves on.

Also, barring Link and Captain Falcon, I prefer Sony's characters by far over Nintendo's.

I'm still thinking otherwise, considering my previous statement on how every other Smash Bros. ripoff is extremely cheap in content and playability. That, and have you ever played NMH Heroes' Paradise with the PS Move? It handles like shit.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 06:53 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

The only other Smash Bros type of games I played was the one for Onimusha, which was shit because of the playability and lack of content, as you said, and both Power Stone games, which were kind of different as they weren't 2D plane fighters, but they were both superior to any Smash Bros games.

Sony has a lot of universes. At least as much as Nintendo. Content will not be a problem. Playability? Well, from the preview at IGN I already have reason to believe it will do just fine on that regard, it plays quite differently to SSB. And because, the developers are/were part of Sony Santa Monica's team, and those guys are fantastic.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 07:00 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Power Stone was also released at nearly the same time as Super Smash Brothers, it must be mentioned.

Admittedly, I am not sure why douches like Fat Princess are in the game. Parappa though? Awesome. Kick, punch, it's all in the mind!

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 07:12 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

so she's a douche because she's a she?

racist!

Old Post Apr 28th, 2012 07:30 PM