KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » George Lucas Butthurt that Nobody Cares about 3D JarJar, Retires.

George Lucas Butthurt that Nobody Cares about 3D JarJar, Retires.
Started by: focus4chumps

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Yes, that kinda true. Although the poop jokes work, I doubt kids are very interested in taxation of trade routes... wink

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 03:20 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Yes, that kinda true. Although the poop jokes work, I doubt kids are very interested in taxation of trade routes... wink

im sure it goes right over their heads and think of them as "those boring scenes"

and what kid flick is complete without saber duels leading to impalement and being sliced in half. wait.....wtf is wrong with george lucas?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 03:21 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Well it was family movie.. As in a movie for parents and kids to go enjoy. That's probably why it grossed so much back in '99.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 03:24 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by focus4chumps
im sure it goes right over their heads and think of them as "those boring scenes"

and what kid flick is complete without saber duels leading to impalement and being sliced in half. wait.....wtf is wrong with george lucas?

laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 03:28 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ Well it was family movie.. As in a movie for parents and kids to go enjoy. That's probably why it grossed so much back in '99.

the OT were family movies as well, simply because parents and children alike enjoyed them...not as a result of being shoehorned into a genre with cheap tacky sideshow distractions (ewoks excluded).

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 03:34 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

let me also just point out the the ep 4 special edition grossed over $138 million domestically in 1997.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars4se.htm

yup. 'special edition' that everyone hated. greedo shooting first, obnoxious cartoony in-your-face mos eisley scene, a midget pile of polygons that was supposed to pass as jabba the hutt, random unnecessary dewbacks, etc.

138 million vs the 50-60 million lucasfilm would be lucky to total in domestic ticket sales when all is done. AND with tickets nearly twice as expensive considering inflation + 3d theater markup.

point: it isnt doing well at all. adults have been turned off by the forced slapstick humor, lack of a clear protagonist and hero's journey...etc. even the kids are getting bored with it, and thats the problem with turning your back on your fanbase and pandering to small children exclusively. children are fickle and easily grow bored with straight-up kid flicks, especially when they get older.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 03:54 PM
queeq
Chaos

Ah, we're all suckers for SW, we go and see it... you know how it is.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 04:55 PM
Darth Thor

let me also just point out the the ep 4 special edition grossed over $138 million domestically in 1997.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars4se.htm

yup. 'special edition' that everyone hated. greedo shooting first, obnoxious cartoony in-your-face mos eisley scene, a midget pile of polygons that was supposed to pass as jabba the hutt, random unnecessary dewbacks, etc.

138 million vs the 50-60 million lucasfilm would be lucky to total in domestic ticket sales when all is done. AND with tickets nearly twice as expensive considering inflation + 3d theater markup.

point: it isnt doing well at all. adults have been turned off by the forced slapstick humor, lack of a clear protagonist and hero's journey...etc. even the kids are getting bored with it, and thats the problem with turning your back on your fanbase and pandering to small children exclusively. children are fickle and easily grow bored with straight-up kid flicks, especially when they get older.

Yeah you see I dnt know if you remember or not but I do, The SW special edition was hugely hyped back in 1997. Everyone knew it was out and it was the first chance in almost 20 years to see the most epic sci-fi film ever on the big screen (the way it was meant to be seen).

TPM is nothing next to the Original SW. Im not gna pretend it is, but your point here proves nothing.

For a movie that according to critics (and what is a common joke) is supposed to be one of the worst movies ever made to have already made 80million for a 3d re-release 13 years down the line, with no where near the marketing SW special edition had, certainly says a lot.

It says people dnt hate that movie, and a lot of people actually like it.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 05:36 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 05:34 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

As part of SW no doubt.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 05:46 PM
darthmaul1

I think even if it WASN'T in 3d it would still be generating the same numbers, and the same amount of people would be going to see it just because it's star wars and its on the big screen. Let's face it the 3D has little to nothing to do with people going to see it. We will have to see how the 3D bluray release does in terms of sales.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 07:27 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ It would earn more if it was just on general release, as in 3d screens and regular screens.

It would earn A LOT more if it was properley marketed months before its release.

Just shows its just something Lucas is doing for the fans. Give them a chance to watch the movies in 3d.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2012 11:38 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah you see I dnt know if you remember or not but I do, The SW special edition was hugely hyped back in 1997. Everyone knew it was out and it was the first chance in almost 20 years to see the most epic sci-fi film ever on the big screen (the way it was meant to be seen).

my point is it had the same stigma, if not more so.

TPM is nothing next to the Original SW. Im not gna pretend it is, but your point here proves nothing.

thats your opinion. however on TPM millions of small children enjoyed that while finding the OT kinda boring. i know 'wtf' right? but thats how it was. i was pointing this out to illustrate the stay power of NOT pandering exclusively to that age group. they get older and lose interest in farts and poopoo slapstick, while even a broken and despised version of ep4 managed to triple its domestic box office earnings at almost half the ticket cost.

For a movie that according to critics (and what is a common joke) is supposed to be one of the worst movies ever made to have already made 80million for a 3d re-release 13 years down the line, with no where near the marketing SW special edition had, certainly says a lot.

no, it made just over 30 mil. not 80. i projected 60 mil future domestic total and i was being very generous.

It says people dnt hate that movie, and a lot of people actually like it.

im not sure how that proves anything
some people liked battlefield earth too. does that make it worthy to consider as a cinematic triumph?

^ It would earn more if it was just on general release, as in 3d screens and regular screens.

It would earn A LOT more if it was properley marketed months before its release.

Just shows its just something Lucas is doing for the fans. Give them a chance to watch the movies in 3d.

sorry but thats blind and baseless speculation.

Last edited by focus4chumps on Feb 24th, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 12:11 AM
Darth Thor

my point is it had the same stigma, if not more so.

No. Not at all.

thats your opinion. however on TPM millions of small children enjoyed that while finding the OT kinda boring. i know 'wtf' right? but thats how it was. i was pointing this out to illustrate the stay power of NOT pandering exclusively to that age group. they get older and lose interest in farts and poopoo slapstick, while even a broken and despised version of ep4 managed to triple its domestic box office earnings at almost half the ticket cost.

What you're forgetting was there were whole generations who remembered and loved the Original Star Wars. Doesnt really matter that kids in 1999 found TPM more entertaining than the OT. Im sure they found Finding Nemo more entertaining than the OT as well. So what?

As for half the ticket price, it was released on all screens though, not just special 3d screens.

You also seem to be ignoring how incredibly well TPM did back in 1999 with those SAME ticket prices as the SW special edition.

no, it made just over 30 mil. not 80. i projected 60 mil future domestic total and i was being very generous.

Its made 80 worldwide. TPM was on a worldwide gross of approx 920 million before the 3d re-release. Its now passed the Billion mark. Do the math.

im not sure how that proves anything
some people liked battlefield earth too. does that make it worthy to consider as a cinematic triumph?

Lol Iv never met anyone who went on about how awsome Battlefield Earth is, but I do remember back in '99 despite all the negative reviews many many people left the cinema saying "that was awsome" after watching The Phantom Menace.

And comparing Battlefield Earth to a movie that became the second highest grossing movie of all time back in '99 is frankly meaningless.

sorry but thats blind and baseless speculation.

Yeah because Marketing does nothing right??

So TPM teaser trailer 9 months before its release did nothing to help boost its revenue back in '99?

So a new Star Wars film could just be released without any marketing whatsoever and expect to become the highest grossing film of all time right?

Stop being crazy, and accept there are plenty of people who love the Prequels including TPM. We dnt need a re-release as proof of that, just look at the DVD sales. For all the prequels they were sold out on the first day of release.

Why would such terrible movies sell out? Was Battlefield Earth ever sold out on dvd??

Im afraid you're hatred of Lucas and all SW movies after ROTJ(assuming you even enjoyed that one) has made you the blind one, not me.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 10:40 AM
queeq
Chaos

It's not always a HATRED thing... that seems to be the new mantra against critical SW fans, these days.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 02:44 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

switching figures from domestic to worldwide and adding original box office gross is just toying with figures to support your non-case.

then you come up with the baseless statement that there wasnt enough marketing. pure puffery. i could go on about the hundreds of tv spots and product commercials with SW characters in cross-marketing promotions, but that would be anectdotal hogwash of my own.

i dont hate lucas. the OT came from that beautiful brain of his. however im deeply disappointed in his questionable and sometimes downright idiotic decisions in the 90's and beyond, especially his decision to alter and desecrate a vintage piece of american art and his most beloved creation. maybe you just cant handle debating a topic without....

It's not always a HATRED thing... that seems to be the new mantra against critical SW fans, these days.

indeed

because ad hominem = insta-win

Last edited by focus4chumps on Feb 24th, 2012 at 03:51 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 03:39 PM
Darth Thor

Well when he's just out to prove TPM disappointing box office performance when non-exists, the you cant tell me he's not making a biased crticism.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 04:33 PM
Darth Thor

switching figures from domestic to worldwide and adding original box office gross is just toying with figures to support your non-case.

80 million just for showing a 13 year old movie in 3d is not exactly bad. If it was such an appauling movie, then why's anyone bothered to watch it.

And you keep ignoring TPM box office earnings back in '99 and how hugely successful it was, how much the movie made in merchandise, and how the VHS and DVD sales were excellent.

Basically you've got no point.

then you come up with the baseless statement that there wasnt enough marketing. pure puffery. i could go on about the hundreds of tv spots and product commercials with SW characters in cross-marketing promotions, but that would be anectdotal hogwash of my own.

Lol @ baseless.

If the special edition had as much marketing as TPM3D and and was only shown in a certain format, then you could make a comparison.

And you keep comparing to the Original Star Wars. The most epic fantasy film of all time. And saying because it doesnt compare to that its a flop??

If you cant see what a stupid comparison this is of yours then I cant help you. Its just a stupid debate.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 04:40 PM
queeq
Chaos

It is.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 05:25 PM
S_D_J
Bane

oops wrong thread

btw: TPM rocks

(please log in to view the image)

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Last edited by S_D_J on Feb 24th, 2012 at 05:43 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 05:41 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 24th, 2012 05:44 PM