KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » X-Men: First Class 2 (2014)

X-Men: First Class 2 (2014)
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

So many characters for this movie now......no way Singer can make use of them all.

Old Post May 26th, 2013 03:13 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah way too big a cast.

Old Post May 27th, 2013 08:29 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Any word on Peter Dinklage? Ahab?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 16th, 2013 04:38 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Bryan Singer On Building The X-MEN "Universe" & Competing With Marvel

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...e/news/?a=81631

quote:
"I’ve basically rebooted the universe twice already, in that I booted it up once with X-Men and then rebooted it with First Class. I’m very keenly interested in exploring the X-Men universe in the same way that Marvel have done with the Avengers. It’s an enormous universe and not just in the issues that it confronts. A lot of Marvel’s famous characters have already been used but there’s still a few left. DC have got some as well; the Justice League film is going to be a monster!"

So will they be in direct competition with Marvel? Singer reckons they won't be, but then goes on to suggest that both sets of films bring different things to the table anyway, and -- while praising their characters -- says that Marvel perhaps don't take things as seriously with their movies. "You can never compete with that," admits Singer. "Tonally it’s a very different experience as the X-Men movies operate on very specific themes and it’s a much more serious kind of universe, as the Marvel movies universe is not so serious. It’s got its own emotional points and the characters are obviously amazing."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2013 09:06 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr.RemyLebeau

I hope this means that he's interested in staying on for a few more and taking the stories forward post X3 (doing some serious damage control).

Old Post Jun 26th, 2013 07:13 PM
Dr.RemyLebeau is currently offline Click here to Send Dr.RemyLebeau a Private Message Find more posts by Dr.RemyLebeau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Looking pretty badass here... thumb up

(please log in to view the image)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 16th, 2013 11:40 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Old Post Oct 29th, 2013 10:32 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Looks awesome!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2013 11:23 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

It looks good but i'm more pumped for The Winter Soldier.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2013 03:36 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yet another Wolverine saves the day movie.

As pumped as I was for First Class when I watched it, this just kills it for me.

Maybe next time.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2013 05:11 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

An X-men fan's rant about the trailer

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=48822

Old Post Oct 31st, 2013 07:01 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
An X-men fan's rant about the trailer

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=48822

Blahblahblah, blahblah... blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbl
ahblah, blahblahblahblah....blah...

Typical X-Men fan hysteria; criticizing the film already just by it's trailer. These are the kinds of fans that made Grant Morrison bow out of having to 'write under the hot lights', while doing New X-Men.

Newsflash (...actually it's very old news, but it must be constantly repeated) - they haven't made a single X-Men movie that doesn't have an appearance by Wolverine, because they know he's the most popular and drives box office & comics sales more than anyone. I'm not even a Logan fanboy, and I get it. Secondly, the the conflict of philosophy between Charles and Erik is what has driven the X-Men mythos for most of it's publication. Maybe this film - with the holocaust feeling of the future it shows - resolves it at last, just as the comics have done. But I'm willing to see it again.

This will probably be the last go-round with most of these actors, playing their parts since 2000. How about celebrating the films and their legacy, rather than just being typical comic geek negative nancies?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2013 06:36 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

If they were good, fair representations of the source material, they would be.

Outside of the Charles and Erik stuff, which is admittedly excellent, they've been Wolverine fests that have pushed X-Men to the side whose prominence in the lore was completely disregarded in the movies.

They aren't a reflection of the X-Men comic books in many ways; hell, even Morrison, as much as he might complain, wrote an absolutely fantastic X-Men run.

Who were his main characters? Xavier, Scott, Jean and Logan.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 31st, 2013 06:43 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Odekahn

I think the movie is more an attempt to bring all of the movies together and fix the many holes and garbage that took place after Singer left. As a launching pad, I understand the reasoning for using the most important pieces of the past movies for Singer's return.

He had to establish a connection so the GA can understand how the history ties together otherwise they won't care what happens and will still be pissed off about X3 and Origins.

We need to give him the benefit of the doubt for this movie. What we truly want as X-men fans is coming imo, but this movie has to happen first.

And it will still be a great movie on it's own merits.

You believe you are dealing with a mere mortal? Foolish is the man who knows not when a god stands before him...

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2013 11:27 PM
Odekahn is currently offline Click here to Send Odekahn a Private Message Find more posts by Odekahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider

Newsflash (...actually it's very old news, but it must be constantly repeated) - they haven't made a single X-Men movie that doesn't have an appearance by Wolverine, because they know he's the most popular and drives box office & comics sales more than anyone. I'm not even a Logan fanboy, and I get it.

Talking about the box office success that "Wolverine" apparently attracts, think of how Avengers didn't become the 3rd Grossing movie of all time by just being an Iron Man wankfest. Despite IM being the most popular Avenger by far. He was highlighted, but it was without a doubt an Avengers movie, and not an Iron Man + Friends movie.

Honestly X-Men hasn't been that big box office wise next to the likes of Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and Iron Man. When it really should have and would have if they stuck to the comics more Imho.

Secondly, the the conflict of philosophy between Charles and Erik is what has driven the X-Men mythos for most of it's publication. Maybe this film - with the holocaust feeling of the future it shows - resolves it at last, just as the comics have done. But I'm willing to see it again.

This will probably be the last go-round with most of these actors, playing their parts since 2000. How about celebrating the films and their legacy, rather than just being typical comic geek negative nancies?

If the movie centers around Charles and Eric with Wolverine being the 3rd main character behind them I'll be satisfied with that. Or even if the 3 of them are in the spotlight, I'd be Ok with it, as long as it's all 3 of them. Then the secondary characters will obviously be Mystique, Beast and Storm.

All the other long long list of mutants in this movie are clearly going to be blink and you miss them cameos(with the possible exception of Quicksilver given how they've highlighted his appearance in this). He's really crowded this film for no good reason. Singer doesn't get what made Avengers such a successful ensemble.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Nov 4th, 2013 at 01:42 PM

Old Post Nov 4th, 2013 01:40 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

This is all about jealousy, isn't it? The X-Men books were the biggest selling comics for decades, and fans wonder why - successful as the films have been - why they aren't the biggest films in the genre too. The Spider Man films...well, they get that, how they would be just as big or bigger. But the Avengers film series being even more popular??? 'Heresy!' as Zod would put it.

Where was Iron Man's legion of followers all these years, who unexpectedly made his films alone bigger hits than all the X-Men films? Thor? - he's silly, with the hair, cape and pseudo-Shakespearean dialogue! (As the new Thor films breaks box office records overseas...) Captain America?? He's dated, old, he wears the flag! (Meanwhile, the trailer for his next film looks as serious as any of the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight films...)

People will continue to argue that the X-Men films would be the biggest of all comic book films if they were 'better' (whatever that means) - I say being the biggest in one medium doesn't automatically equal dominance in another one.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 03:59 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

...Huh?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 04:22 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by -Pr-
...Huh?

In a nutshell - that the X films could be different to reflect what the hard core fans seem to want (colourful costumes, more Cyclops stick out tongue etc.) and it wouldn't change anything. Avengers films have proven to be even more accessible, to casual movie fans.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 04:27 PM
Darth Thor

LOL you honestly think if they made the Avengers movie all about IM without marketing it at all towards Thor, Captain America or Hulk and without having solo movies for those 3, that it would have done anywhere near as well?

How did the people behind the X-Franchise at Fox even decide that Wolverine was the most popular so to focus all the movies and all the marketing around him? The X-Movies have been focused around him from film 1. Why?

Because unlike Marvel studios they have no clue how to make a good/epic team up movie and thought the only way to do it is to focus it around 1 character. First Class was the only one to move away from that stupidity and the result was an EPIC movie and BY FAR the best X-Men they've made.

It's only now that they're looking at the success of Avengers and realizing, "Oh right, people actually want to see a movie about more than 1 hero.." so they've jumped into the DOFP storyline. And this can be confimred from Singer's original interviews on DOFP where he would say things like "I think there's a real desire out there to see different franchises melding together." This of course after the mega success of Avengers.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 04:32 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

In a nutshell - that the X films could be different to reflect what the hard core fans seem to want (colourful costumes, more Cyclops stick out tongue etc.) and it wouldn't change anything. Avengers films have proven to be even more accessible, to casual movie fans.

I don't think anyone is really debating that. You could, but I wasn't.

I just think that people (like me) want X-Men movies that are more faithful to the lore, at least in representing the character roles they have in the comics.

Not looking for a literal translation or anything; it just makes sense that if you were making a Justice League movie, you wouldn't shove Batman in to the background.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 7th, 2013 04:41 PM