KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman - how much can he lift?

Superman - how much can he lift?
Started by: Placidity

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

You obviously missed the cluster**** that was the JLA Vs Onslaught thread...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 11th, 2012 10:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-

This is a classic of kmc

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...threadid=562513

Old Post Apr 11th, 2012 10:54 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Yes sadly I did and it was a real cluster****

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2012 02:09 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Diesldude

It really doesn't matter, he has lifted infinite weight do whatever you use to get the mean, it will always be infinite weight. But superman doesn't lift infinite weight everyday so I believe on average (i agree with beinsalsa) he lifts whatever he has to, whatever he has to or whatever needs to be done.

Old Post May 11th, 2012 05:27 PM
Diesldude is currently offline Click here to Send Diesldude a Private Message Find more posts by Diesldude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I've gotten into this with people in the past, that his greatest lifting feats have come when he's flying. So he's using a different powerset when he's holding something in mid air; it's not a feat of strength, but an extension of the inner telekenesis that allows him to fly and hover in place.

You just have to look at the many non-flying characters who have repeatedly been able to match his strength - Darkseid, Orion, Mongul, Doomsday, Solomon Grundy - none of whom have strength feats on the books as dramatic as Superman's. That they are in his strength class comes right from DC editorial and from character statements made through the decades.

The alleged planet moving feats of years past - it can't happen unless he's flying; he can't stand on one planet and push another. Hence, different powerset at work.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 11th, 2012 08:14 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

His greatest lifting feats come when He is flying?

(please log in to view the image), (please log in to view the image),

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums...OSINGPOWERS.jpg

I don't see him flying in any of those

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post May 12th, 2012 02:12 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by roughrider
I've gotten into this with people in the past, that his greatest lifting feats have come when he's flying. So he's using a different powerset when he's holding something in mid air; it's not a feat of strength, but an extension of the inner telekenesis that allows him to fly and hover in place.

You just have to look at the many non-flying characters who have repeatedly been able to match his strength - Darkseid, Orion, Mongul, Doomsday, Solomon Grundy - none of whom have strength feats on the books as dramatic as Superman's. That they are in his strength class comes right from DC editorial and from character statements made through the decades.

The alleged planet moving feats of years past - it can't happen unless he's flying; he can't stand on one planet and push another. Hence, different powerset at work.

That's not really definitive proof, tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 13th, 2012 10:09 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

He's well in to the quintillion/sextillion range if we're talking upper levels. Probably higher depending on writer.
If He Is In The Sextillion Range That Means He Is Just As Good Enough To Lift One Planet(Refering To Our Own Planet Which Weighs 6.6 Sextillion As I Heard) When Clearly Supermam Can Lift More....

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post May 25th, 2012 05:52 PM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Originally posted by roughrider

This was how Byrne portrayed it. Don't know if anybody else actually followed it. The way you're doing this feels like you're grasping at straws to say Superman isn't really as strong as he is.

Salsa already pointed-out two massive feats of strength(both that put moving a planet to shame) that he was NOT flying when he did them, so I won't go on that. The other serious flaw in your argument is bringing-up non-flying characters. So what that they've matched him in strength despite not having strength feats like his? None of them really even HAVE feats of strength. The only major one I can think for any of them is Darksied ripping-apart that planetoid as a side-effect of his fight with Superman. All of them but Solomon Grundy(since he's been at different power levels pretty much every time he comes back from "death" are all consistently stronger than Wonder Woman, despite they don't have feats to match her's, and she just flies through magick, you can't make an argument of "telekinesis" here. Kurse and Mangog are stronger than Thor, but what feats of strength does they have to compare? I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, the answer is "none."

Old Post Jun 5th, 2012 01:23 AM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Galan007
to the earth itself (roughly 3,250,000,000,000,000,000 tons)

The problem with that is that you're not working against the earth's gravity when you move it.

The centrifugal force of the earth orbiting the sun is cancelled out by the sun's gravity on the earth, so it's in balance. If you were to increase the earth's speed then the shape of the orbit around the sun would become more and more elliptical until it reaches a point and starts spiraling away.

I could make a calculation on it if there's an interest, and explain exactly how much energy would be required before that occurs. It's basic Newtonian mechanics.

to the infinite book (infinite tons.)

Wasn't that with the help of Captain Marvel? Ultraman managed to lift it alone, though.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 12:55 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Astner
The centrifugal force of the earth orbiting the sun is cancelled out by the sun's gravity on the earth, so it's in balance. If you were to increase the earth's speed then the shape of the orbit around the sun would become more and more elliptical until it reaches a point and starts spiraling away.

I could make a calculation on it if there's an interest, and explain exactly how much energy would be required before that occurs. It's basic Newtonian mechanics.

Nevermind I just checked the numbers, you can't break the orbit unless you have an interference of external gravitational fields. Then again, if you speed it up or slow it down to where the ellipsis goes through the sun then that should be enough. Slowing it down would be the most energy efficient.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 01:25 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Are there many instances where Superman was unable to lift something and it wasn't do to lack of power but instead some outside factor like being weakened?

Seems he's as strong as he needs to be for the given occasion, majority of the time.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jun 15th, 2012 at 05:06 PM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 05:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Robtard
Are there many instances where Superman was unable to lift something and it wasn't do to lack of power but instead some outside factor like being weakened?

Seems he's as strong as he needs to be for the given occasion, majority of the time.

That's the correct answer. He's as strong as the story needs him to be.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 05:21 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Wasn't that with the help of Captain Marvel? Ultraman managed to lift it alone, though.

The scene didn't show Superman REQUIRED Captain Marvel's help as much as he wasn't sure it was possible to even lift it, and had Cap help him. If Ultraman lifted it on his own, I'm sure Superman can.

Not that I'm aware of.

Pretty much.

Originally posted by abhilegend
That's the correct answer. He's as strong as the story needs him to be.

thumb up

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 06:19 PM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Wasn't that with the help of Captain Marvel?
Half of infinity is still infinity.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 10:08 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 11:59 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

If you don't account for order there's no difference, however if you do then ω > ω/2. That said, ω/2 is still infinite so you're technically right.

Then again it all boils down to the axiomatic. Check out cardinal numbers and ordinal numbers for reference.

That said,

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 06:16 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If you don't account for order there's no difference, however if you do then ω > ω/2. That said, ω/2 is still infinite so you're technically right.

Then again it all boils down to the axiomatic. Check out cardinal numbers and ordinal numbers for reference.

That said,
All I know is that those symbols looks like ballsacks.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 09:52 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Francisco

Last issue of Superman he benched the weight of the earth for 5 days.

Not contentment, but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but efficiency (virtue in the Renaissance sense, virtu, virtue free of moral acid).
The weak and the botched shall perish: first principle of our charity. And one should help them to it.
What is more harmful than any vice?--Practical sympathy for the botched and the weak--Christianity...

Old Post Oct 18th, 2012 03:19 AM
Francisco is currently offline Click here to Send Francisco a Private Message Find more posts by Francisco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14060044

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14060045

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14060050

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Superman #13, Volume 3
Writer: Scott Lobdell
Penciller: Kenneth Rockafort
Date: October 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Post Oct 18th, 2012 03:37 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote