KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

I've wondered, is XMFC a prequel to the main trillogy, or is it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?

Old Post Apr 4th, 2012 12:05 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Re: Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I've wondered, is XMFC a prequel to the main trillogy, or is it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?
Come on! Some one must know the answer to this!

Old Post Apr 6th, 2012 02:03 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

Originally posted by C-3POTheClever

If you can't work out that its a prequel..........then i don't know go back to sleep erm

Old Post Apr 6th, 2012 02:30 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Re: Re: Is X-Men: First Class a reboot?

Originally posted by Kazenji
If you can't work out that its a prequel..........then i don't know go back to sleep erm
I know it's a prequels as in it's set before the main trillogy, but I wasnt to know if it like part of the originals, but just set before it, or a complete reboot and nothing to do with the originals; like the new narnia films are nothing to do with the BBC Narnia films. I mean like that. I've heard some people say that it's a complete re-boot.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2012 02:36 PM
GonzoMcFonzo

It certianly feels like a reboot. There are several things that don't line up with the trilogy, the problem is they are small enough that it's really hard to say. Like, we see Hank McCoy in X-2 (he's on a tv in the bar where mistique drugs the guard) and he looks like a normal human. Or the fact that in 1st class Magneto has nothing to do with designing or building cerebro, but in X-2 he can manually rearrange it to do hardwire it for normal humans. Or the way Charles didn't seem to have any knowlage of magneto's helmet in the first movie, or of Mystique's abilities. Wouldn't you think if his sister was a shapeshifter who ran off with his arch nemesis, he would've added more protection from that type of infiltration to the mansion?

The problem, as I said, is that none of that is conclusive. I could come up with half a dozen justifications for why those nitpicks don't actually break continuity. In the end, I think it's a question left for the viewer to decide (don't you hate those?)

Edit: actually, as I was writing this post, another, much bigger one came to me: If Erik and Charles parted ways at the end of 1st class, why were they recruiting gene together at the beginning of X-3?

Old Post Apr 6th, 2012 06:18 PM
GonzoMcFonzo is currently offline Click here to Send GonzoMcFonzo a Private Message Find more posts by GonzoMcFonzo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

That's the problem with not starting at the very beginning

should've done First Class well first and then go from there.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2012 01:08 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

It's a prequel to X-Men 1&2.

Singer doesn't consider X3 to be canon.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 7th, 2012 01:32 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ingonyama
Gay X-Geek

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

Did Singer have a hand in FC? I never heard anything about him being on the production team at all.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2012 11:22 PM
Ingonyama is currently offline Click here to Send Ingonyama a Private Message Find more posts by Ingonyama Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Yeah, Singer was originally the director but stepped down and became the producer and co-writer instead.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 8th, 2012 12:21 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

That makes sense. I'm assuming he doesn't consider Wolverine Origins to be canon either correct?

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 08:45 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Big O
The Original O

GAWD, I hope so!

In the mean time, I never DID see that anime where I unintentionally got my name from. Is it any good

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 06:41 PM
The Big O is currently offline Click here to Send The Big O a Private Message Find more posts by The Big O Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by ares834
That makes sense. I'm assuming he doesn't consider Wolverine Origins to be canon either correct?
I'm assuming so, yeah.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2012 09:40 PM
wasson66

it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 08:19 AM
wasson66 is currently offline Click here to Send wasson66 a Private Message Find more posts by wasson66 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by wasson66
it a complete re-boot, so nothing to do with the main trillogy?(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 10:22 PM
KCJ506

It's actually a prequel. Vaughn himself has already said that he doesn't care about continuity so much, or about X3 or Wolverine. If it was a different filmverse then why did it have a big round Cerebro, a blue-scaled Mystique, the exact same opening footage from X1, and a cameo by Hugh Jackman?

This is just a prequel with some relaxed continuity, not a "clean slate".

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 11:50 PM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by KCJ506
It's actually a prequel. Vaughn himself has already said that he doesn't care about continuity so much, or about X3 or Wolverine. If it was a different filmverse then why did it have a big round Cerebro, a blue-scaled Mystique, the exact same opening footage from X1, and a cameo by Hugh Jackman?

This is just a prequel with some relaxed continuity, not a "clean slate".

Old Post Apr 14th, 2012 11:59 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Even if Singer doesn't consider X3 or Wolverine Origins to be canon to his movies, still doesn't explain why we saw McCoy in human form on that TV in X2 when he already became Beast towards the end of First Class.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2012 12:12 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
(>^^)>
is it there yet?

Small continuity flaw, but it's a prequel to the current movies not a reboot, and I really hope they just sorta ignore x-men 3 when they do 4, or at least cyclop's death (I don't like him much but) he's pretty damned important to the x-men and the rough relationship between wolverine and Scotty boy is a huge part of the x-men

Lilypop Shots on XBOX
Lilipopshots on insragram

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 02:33 AM
(>^^)> is currently offline Click here to Send (>^^)> a Private Message Find more posts by (>^^)> Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

It was supposed to be a prequel to X1 and X2. But the last line in this article suggests Vaughn might just take it in the direction of a complete reboot for the sequels:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...ming-in-january

I would actually prefer a reboot. Because it's gna be a class series, and I'd hate for it to be limited to having the events of X1 & X2 dictate where it goes and which characters can be used.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2012 11:47 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote