KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Tandiandthe223 -- The Ultimate Wonder Woman Appreciation Thread

Tandiandthe223 -- The Ultimate Wonder Woman Appreciation Thread
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

Found a remarkable digitally painted image online today.

Creator said it was her first effort in the description.

Pretty good job, if so ...

Attachment: wonder woman by marina maral dg.jpg
This has been downloaded 87 time(s).

Old Post Jan 24th, 2013 05:04 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Rhymer wrapped. Etrigan versus Wonder Woman. ww107v2, John Byrne.

Attachment: 20 etrigan car wrapped. wonder woman #107 v2.jpg
This has been downloaded 69 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 12:50 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Hoplite Dream.

Attachment: 30 javelin diana carano.jpg
This has been downloaded 60 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 12:50 PM
bluewaterrider

Midnight watch.

Wonder Woman #601, Volume 4
(or Volume 1. It depends on what your criterion is.)

Attachment: 40 skylight view. taxying plane.jpg
This has been downloaded 57 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 02:34 PM
bluewaterrider

Diana has appeared in several Elseworlds.

This particular one featured her as a resident of London, unaware of her true historical past.

Attachment: 50 saving vault. amazonia dash..jpg
This has been downloaded 59 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 02:41 PM
bluewaterrider

As you can see, Diana still retains her heroic, action-oriented instincts, immediately stopping whatever she is doing to save the lives of the imperiled.

Attachment: 60 triplicate isolate. dianas saving vault. amazonia dash..jpg
This has been downloaded 63 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 02:43 PM
bluewaterrider

I'm isolating this particular selection because it reminds me of two features that struck me as noteworthy.

1. This is easily the hardest physique rendition I've seen of Diana.
I know it's struck some other people that way. I'm wondering, not for the first time, if one of the 52 writers was similarly impressed.

I don't mean the current DC Universe when I say 52, either.

I refer instead to the Countdown series.

There, some powerful villain managed to compel several versions of particular heroes to fight each other, often to the finish.

Wonder Woman was one such character, forced to fight different versions of herself to see which one was superior.

Despite having nothing that I can identify as true fight experience, this particular Wonder Woman, featured in the Elseworlds titled Amazonia, won. I cannot be sure, but I'm guessing the writer partly, perhaps even subconsciously, chose that result due to the way she is drawn here. She LOOKS physically stronger and harder than the bulk of many superheroines, almost like something carved of marble.
This is communicated despite the true warmth, joy, and deference Diana shows to nearly everyone that she is not absolutely obligated to battle in this story.
The artists did a remarkable job, visually.

2. On a note related to the above, the art does a remarkable simulation of "flamelit" lighting. Seems like it really WOULD be what observers from that angle would see watching a person onstage back then.

The illusion is dependent somewhat on size I note, however.
Enlargements, so useful for appreciating the work of other comicbook artists, don't work so well for the scans here.

I would go so far as to say that it loses some of its magic quality when you get too close ...

Of course, such is the case for many things related to real-life theatrical productions, too.

Source: Amazonia , DC, 1997, William Messner-Loebs, Paul Kupperberg and Phil Winslade

Attachment: 70 elseworlds victorian setting.jpg
This has been downloaded 60 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 03:10 PM
bluewaterrider

Strength display. Construct shatter.

DCnU Wonder Woman versus Green Lantern.

DCnU Justice League magazine, 2012.

Attachment: 80 lantern construct shatter02. dcnu diana versus hal.jpg
This has been downloaded 71 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 03:16 PM
bluewaterrider

The main challenger to Amazonia's claim.

The artwork of Aaron Lopresti.

Aaron is one of the few pencillers who goes not for cheescake, but true athleticism. Diana here has the look of many a true and elite sports competitor. Many of the world class CrossFit participants, for instance, look a lot like this, and perhaps more than a few Olympic Event challengers.
You can BELIEVE Diana has what it takes to overcome tough challenges when seeing her body drawn this way.
A welcome sight; I'm hopeful Lopresti will get pencilling duties for the character again sometime in the future.

Attachment: 90 lopresti upper torso physique shot.jpg
This has been downloaded 73 time(s).

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 03:28 PM
bluewaterrider

I mustn't get too lazy here. Here is the ref info for that construct-shatter scene:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Justice League #11, Volume 2
Writer: Geoff Johns
Penciller: Jim Lee
Date: September 2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Justice_League_Vol_2_11

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 03:53 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

That was a decent issue too. I actually remember reading it as I walked home from the comic shop.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 25th, 2013 03:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

You're a lucky man; those places are practically non-existent now in my area ... sad

Old Post Apr 26th, 2013 08:43 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Back in Ireland, I had to take a bus ride in to the city to a comic shop; it was over two hours each way, so not a lot of fun.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 26th, 2013 08:47 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

I discovered the identity of the model used in my "Diana the Hoplite" submission above. Seems very appropriate given my discussion of Aaron Lopresti, the models he seemed to preference when drawing Diana, and Olympian figures ...

Rachel Yurkovich at Hayward Field. Eugene, Oregon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35BBI8XrO4

Attachment: wonder woman at the olympics.jpg
This has been downloaded 53 time(s).

Old Post Apr 26th, 2013 08:51 PM
bluewaterrider

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
I had to take a bus ride ... over two hours each way ...!

Okay, maybe not quite as lucky as I thought then ...

Old Post Apr 26th, 2013 09:00 PM
bluewaterrider

Old Post Apr 27th, 2013 09:11 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bluewaterrider

Okay, maybe not quite as lucky as I thought then ...

laughing out loud

yeah, a 10-15 minute walk each way here in Calgary, or a 5-6 hours round trip back in Ireland. not fun. and i'm tall, so I hate sitting on a bus for that long.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 27th, 2013 09:13 PM
bluewaterrider

Byrne. Tank tear. Volume 2 number 115.

Attachment: wonderwoman115 diana tank tear.jpg
This has been downloaded 56 time(s).

Old Post Apr 28th, 2013 11:37 AM
bluewaterrider

Secondary view, same scene.

Attachment: wonderwoman115 diana tank tearb.jpg
This has been downloaded 47 time(s).

Old Post Apr 28th, 2013 06:04 PM
bluewaterrider

I've done visual side-by-sides between characters before.

Not sure if I've done side-by-sides of the same character drawn by different artists.

I believe there were actually 2 artists handling Amazonia's sketches. Can't be sure if it were a tandem effort for each panel or if they divided overall selections between each other.

At any rate Paul Kupperberg and/or Phil Winslade Wonder Woman versus Aaron Lopresti Wonder Woman.

Chiselled, semi-classic, like unto marble on the left side.

Versus modern world-class CrossFit, in the style of, say, Miranda Oldroyd, Julie Foucher, or Annie Mist Thorisdottir, on the right.

Can't help but wonder where modern comicbook artists look to for their models nowadays. Lopresti's drawings are so much more realistic than that of most of his peers that I'm thinking he MUST have real-life people to refer to when he does this...

Attachment: lopresti version is bigger, but amazonias sheer visual hardness is tough to match.jpg
This has been downloaded 53 time(s).

Old Post Apr 28th, 2013 06:29 PM