KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.

As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.
Started by: juggernaut94

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Insomniatric
The Spider

That's a lot compared to the amount of tigers left in the world (a little over 100, I think).

Sig and Avatar made by Steverules_2 (Thank you!)

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 07:25 PM
Insomniatric is currently offline Click here to Send Insomniatric a Private Message Find more posts by Insomniatric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If whales were to disappear it would be a tragedy, but life would go on and eventually another kind of animal would take their niche.

I'm not saying "fvck the whales", I'm just wondering how essential they are to the ecosystem...maybe keeping krill from overpopulating?

And how essential are humans to the eco system?

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 07:53 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Archaeopteryx

we're the apex predator on like 70% of the planet's land...

EDIT: where we aren't, it is due to humans not living there

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 07:56 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

When the giant asteroid is days away from smashing Earth into space dust, I highly doubt the whales are going to be the ones stepping up to the plate to save the planet.

Bruce Willis alone is worth the human population's weight in whale blubber.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 08:43 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

The only reason ecology is of any importance (i.e., why we'd care about whales) is the effects that ecological changes have on human life.

Remove humans and it's a moot point. So humans are absolutely, supremely essential to the ecosystem.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 08:54 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Originally posted by Oliver North

Yes we are, but that doesn't mean we're essential to the eco system. The opposite in fact is true...if humans were to disappear from the earth the eco system would be much healthier.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 09:14 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Yes we are, but that doesn't mean we're essential to the eco system. The opposite in fact is true...if humans were to disappear from the earth the eco system would be much healthier.

a different ecosystem would be different in ways you call healthier, sure

and yes, apex predators are essential to their ecosystems

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 09:20 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

a different ecosystem would be different in ways you call healthier, sure

and yes, apex predators are essential to their ecosystems

Apex predators existed for hundreds of millions of years before we were here, though unlike us were not harmful to the biosphere. We do far more damage to the eco system than good.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 09:23 PM
tsilamini

that is an entirely unrelated point though

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 09:53 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

if humans were to disappear from the earth the eco system would be much healthier.

No, just different. Ecosystem "health" really just means something we consider healthy or beneficial.

Take cities for example. They are a whole new ecosystem, one that is almost totally dependent on human action. If you remove people from cities the existing ecosystem there will collapse and be replaced with a new one. Neither is "healthier".

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 09:59 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, just different. Ecosystem "health" really just means something we consider healthy or beneficial.

Take cities for example. They are a whole new ecosystem, one that is almost totally dependent on human action. If you remove people from cities the existing ecosystem there will collapse and be replaced with a new one. Neither is "healthier".

The reason why I've never bought into the notion of nature having a "balance".

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 10:25 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Neither is "healthier" in and of itself, but and other top predators don't sustain themselves in ways that destroy the environment they are in without balance. That said, I don't know that humanity suddenly disappearing and leaving untreated toxic waste, spent and unspent nuclear fuel, and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals lying around would be a good thing.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 10:45 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Ascendancy
Neither is "healthier" in and of itself, but and other top predators don't sustain themselves in ways that destroy the environment they are in without balance.

You can't destroy "the environment" only whatever environment there currently is.

Health is really a human-centric thing. Cyanobacter killing off so many other life forms it defined an epoch was natural. An asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs was natural.

In both cases the environment wasn't destroyed. It just changed.

Humans are no different except that, unlike cyanobacter and large pieces of rock, we are consciously self interested. If the current environment changes too much we all die. That's bad because we die not because things have changed, change is a constant.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2012 11:03 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Neither is "healthier" in and of itself, but and other top predators don't sustain themselves in ways that destroy the environment they are in without balance. That said, I don't know that humanity suddenly disappearing and leaving untreated toxic waste, spent and unspent nuclear fuel, and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals lying around would be a good thing.

Actually they can, just look what the grey squirrels did to red squirrel populations.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2012 09:43 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

That said, I don't know that humanity suddenly disappearing and leaving untreated toxic waste, spent and unspent nuclear fuel, and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals lying around would be a good thing.

But that's the thing, untreated toxic waste, pent and unspent nuclear fuel and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals are only bad in relation to humans.

We don't like those things cause they **** us up.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2012 04:32 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insomniatric
The Spider

Actually, there's a small village somewhere in Asia where tigers prey on people (it's so bad that people wear masks on the back of their heads to deter the tigers). The tigers will even attack their canoes when they're in the middle of a river.

My second post in this thread about tigers, weird, didn't even intend for that to happen.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2012 09:34 PM
Insomniatric is currently offline Click here to Send Insomniatric a Private Message Find more posts by Insomniatric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Originally posted by Insomniatric
Actually, there's a small village somewhere in Asia where tigers prey on people (it's so bad that people wear masks on the back of their heads to deter the tigers). The tigers will even attack their canoes when they're in the middle of a river.

My second post in this thread about tigers, weird, didn't even intend for that to happen.

Big cats (and bears) kill people all over the world. Having said that we kill a lot more of them than the other way around.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2012 09:37 PM
Insomniatric
The Spider

Big cats (and bears) kill people all over the world. Having said that we kill a lot more of them than the other way around.

I know that, we've driven tigers to the brink of extinction. I was just talking about this one particular village where the tigers are higher on the food chain than people.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2012 12:20 AM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Insomniatric
I know that, we've driven tigers to the brink of extinction. I was just talking about this one particular village where the tigers are higher on the food chain than people.

I think in those cases tigers are cordoned into such tight spaces that they have a caged animal mentality and will be unnaturally aggressive toward humans.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2012 02:44 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Whale shit reduces carbon levels greatly by stimulating growth of phytoplankton.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2012 03:18 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote