KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » DC's Shared universe will start with...

DC's Shared universe will start with...
Started by: Prep-Man

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (38): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
spidermanrocks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Prep-Man
did anyone check christopher nolans IMDB page? he is listed as one of the writers for the batman reboot. hes probably only the producer, since he is going to oversee all dc movies.

IMDB is not that good of a source. There is a whole laundry list of stuff they got wrong in the past.

As for Clooney, I think he would make a good Bruce Wayne but I don't think he would be a good Batman.

Last edited by spidermanrocks on Jun 24th, 2012 at 07:30 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 07:27 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote:
Spidermanrocks
And before that, we need at least a basic version of Wonder Woman in the comics. Every writer does something completely different with her and yet we expect Warner Bros to be able to be consistent and do her justice.

While it would be nice to have the comics first, it's not even close to necessary. Young Justice doesn't have any problem with versions that don't match the comics. Heck, Batman Begins was not not based on the Batman of the time and Batman has a whole lot of versions, yet no-one says it's impossible to do him.

You act like it's so hard to do her consistently and do her justice... but, it's a movie. You pick one take, you stick with it, you make a good script, and you use it. Done. Rhe comics aren't nearly as different as you make ou eithert- Perez, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone, if I pick them up I clearly have the same characters. Ditto her from Waid's Justice League run or Kelly's or Morrison's or League of One.

If you can't figure out how to decide on a take of a character who has multiple, you have no business making a movie in the first place, because every movie has to decide on a take for their characters without exception.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
There is no damn reason why Wonder Woman should be this extremely difficult project to translate into live action. Seriously, just look at the animated solo DVD she did or George Perez' run or even Gail Simone's.

Or Greg Rucka's. Heck, Rucka's done novels and comics, I'm sure he could do a script too! (If it'd be willing to),

Gail Simone, obviously, did do the animated DVD.

Hm, or for a non-WW writer, I bet John Rogers, who started as a screenwriter in addition to writing the Blue Beetle comic, could do a great job.

Originally posted by Nephthys
"BUT NOOOO, A FEMALE LEAD IN AN ACTION MOVIE WOULD NEEEEEVER WORK!"

coughkillbillcough

Hunger Games too.

Last edited by Q99 on Jun 24th, 2012 at 07:51 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 07:49 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
They probably already attempted it and reached the same conclusions I did. That's probably why they might reboot Batman if they want to have a DC movie universe. I know that they wanted a Batman/Superman crossover with Christian Bale as Bats and Brandon Routh as Superman to tie in Batman Begins and Superman Returns together. But that got canned due to Superman being rebooted.

Let's keep in mind that we still don't know whether or not Warner Bros will do a shared movie universe. There hasn't been any official announcement yet. All we have so far is rumors that they want to do it because they saw how successful Avengers was. Before these rumors came out, Warner Bros officially came out and said that they wouldn't do a DC movie universe. Their original plan was to release a JL movie after they introduce all the JL members on screen that would be separate from the Snyder Superman, from the Nolan Batman, from the Batman reboot, from the upcoming Flash movie, from the Reynolds GL movie, etc. This means that their plan to reboot Batman had nothing to do with doing a JL movie because both the Nolan Batman and the Batman from the reboot wouldn't have been the Batman we would have seen in JL. So even if the new rumors that they now want a DC movie universe is false, we still won't see the Nolan Batman in a JL movie. And even if they decide not to reboot Batman after TDKR, we still won't see the Nolan Batman in the JL movie (once again, assuming that the rumors about them doing a shared movieverse are false).

lol They're even slower than Bale's Batman.

By "real", they don't mean more grounded. They mean more real in terms of how the characters act and in tone. They want to make it more believable that the characters and tone are real. Superman Earth One is a good example. They made it more "real" by giving Clark a reason to why he chose that specific costume, to why he got a job at the Daily Planet, and all of that other stuff. But they didn't necessarily make it more grounded or took out elements of fiction from it. They still kept him hiding his identity with the glasses and all of that. Another example if the Ultimate Marvel universe. It's definitely more "real" but I wouldn't say it's any less grounded than the regular Marvel universe.

They're probably going to reboot both.

i don;t think they have... otherwise they would not have Chris Nolan still around..

did anyone check christopher nolans IMDB page? he is listed as one of the writers for the batman reboot. hes probably only the producer, since he is going to oversee all dc movies.

not really a surprise.. WB trusts him wholeheartedly and should let him do what he does so they can create a shared universe starting with Man of Steel..

Originally posted by Kazenji
(please log in to view the image)

nice fake

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Last edited by BruceSkywalker on Jun 24th, 2012 at 08:16 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 08:13 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

They already have a JL writer and he has such films like Gangster Squad under his belt, which I hear is fantastic.

Nice fake poster. I would love to see that at one point,.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 09:28 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

They already have a JL writer and he has such films like Gangster Squad under his belt, which I hear is fantastic.

Nice fake poster. I would love to see that at one point,.

i believe he could very well write something fantastic

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 11:12 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I think Clooney could play a great Wayne/Batman under the right script and director, especially an older Bruce.

But yeah, Nolan's Batman is just too drastically different from the kind of world Superman and the rest of the JLA will inhabit on the big screen.

It was Clooney's attitude towards the character that put me off. I think he's capable, just not sure about his mindset.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 11:14 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by Q99
While it would be nice to have the comics first, it's not even close to necessary. Young Justice doesn't have any problem with versions that don't match the comics.

True. Young Justice does do that well. I take that back then. You don't need that to happen in the comics before it happens in the movie.

Originally posted by Q99
Heck, Batman Begins was not not based on the Batman of the time and Batman has a whole lot of versions, yet no-one says it's impossible to do him. You act like it's so hard to do her consistently and do her justice... but, it's a movie. You pick one take, you stick with it, you make a good script, and you use it. Done. Rhe comics aren't nearly as different as you make ou eithert- Perez, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone, if I pick them up I clearly have the same characters. Ditto her from Waid's Justice League run or Kelly's or Morrison's or League of One.

I wasn't talking about the movie. I was talking about the comics. She's not written consistently in the comics. While Batman and Superman are not always written the same and have many different takes, they still have the basic traits that make them Batman and Superman (unless the story isn't in canon continuity). I feel Wonder Woman is almost completely written different through the DC universe. I feel that sometimes she doesn't even have her basic traits while being written. Maybe it's just me. Hopefully this changes with the current run. Though I haven't read it yet.

I never said it's hard to do her in a movie. I said that it won't be as easy as people think it would be. People seem to think her movie will automatically make half a billion just because it's Wonder Woman. It can definitely do well (maybe even make half a billion or more) but only if you advertise it right and do her justice (like Iron Man). She hasn't yet reached Batman and Superman status. Their movies can make at least a decent amount of money at the box office solely by selling the movies on their names.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 03:15 AM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

People seem to think her movie will automatically make half a billion just because it's Wonder Woman.

If only that were true. Then WB wouldn't be so scared to just make it! I heard they had Joss Whedon on board to make it once, but he got fed up of them waiting to make a move on it.

Originally posted by -Pr-
No. Nolan (finally) specifically said that Superman doesn't exist in a world like the one his Batman inhabits. And Zack Snyder is directing.

Nolan's Batman just doesn't fit in a JLA movie; They can't do it well without rebooting it imo.

Well seems to me like they're back to the drawing board then as far as a JL movie goes. Without even one big hit to back it up so far.

Drawing on the mega success of the Bale/Nolan franchise would have brought a JL movie forward and given it some good backing imo.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jun 25th, 2012 at 09:39 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 09:36 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I wonder how they will link all the movies together to build up, like the Avengers had Shield and Fury and the ending credits showing all the movies connected

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 05:38 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by -Pr-
It was Clooney's attitude towards the character that put me off. I think he's capable, just not sure about his mindset.

Clooney has said that he played Batman gay. Maybe thats it (not that I'm calling you homophobic).

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 05:42 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I wasn't talking about the movie. I was talking about the comics. She's not written consistently in the comics. While Batman and Superman are not always written the same and have many different takes, they still have the basic traits that make them Batman and Superman (unless the story isn't in canon continuity). I feel Wonder Woman is almost completely written different through the DC universe. I feel that sometimes she doesn't even have her basic traits while being written. Maybe it's just me. Hopefully this changes with the current run. Though I haven't read it yet.

Uh, other than her current run and Odyssey before it, I'd say this is very much not true. She's been fairly consist from the Crisis to Simone. Some variation, but not that huge. This is very much a thing that people act like is this huge issue with her... but I question whether most of these people read much WW.

I mean, I'm talking roughly a 30 year period where aside from some experimentation (which *every* character has) she's written fairly consistently, outside of some annoying bits like her overly-rotating supporting cast (seriously DC, tell new writers they can't just scrap everyone from the previous writer's supporting cast).

And, general note: One doesn't get things more consistent by re-inventing things and doing a new take rather than working with what you've got. It leads to this:
[b](please log in to view the image)

quote:

I never said it's hard to do her in a movie. I said that it won't be as easy as people think it would be. People seem to think her movie will automatically make half a billion just because it's Wonder Woman.

I'm pretty sure people said "And make it a good movie" about a half-dozen times.

Basically people are saying there's a two step process: "Make the movie about Wonder Woman," and "Make it good."

And the main trip-up that keeps occurring is people keep on trying to not do 1, in a way that violates 2 as well.

quote:
It can definitely do well (maybe even make half a billion or more) but only if you advertise it right and do her justice (like Iron Man). She hasn't yet reached Batman and Superman status. Their movies can make at least a decent amount of money at the box office solely by selling the movies on their names.

Well, yea. People have been emphasizing that too.

The main problem is that while we're focusing on "take what's there and do it well, ala several times it's been done well before," DC seems to focus on, "Ok, what we need to do to make Wonder Woman do well is do something other than Wonder Woman!" rather than on focusing on assembling a team that can simply do WW well.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 06:15 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Newjak
I wonder how they will link all the movies together to build up, like the Avengers had Shield and Fury and the ending credits showing all the movies connected

if truly The Man of Steel starts their shared universe, I have got to believe that at some point during the film, unless they wait and its a post credit scene, their will be something regarding Batman or Flash at the very least

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 06:22 PM
Darth Thor

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 06:26 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Yes but when we see the body under the suit it makes a difference. You have to believe Batman is this guy who can kick anyone's butt.

What I didn't mean that's how it always works. Yes a lot of fun making is because of how silly something is. But a lot of the time they just like making fun of something that's popular. Look at how often people make fun of the "My precious" line from LOTR. Or how often Star Wars fans make fun of Star wars.

Well it's impact and success and the anticipation each movie has created is fact and not opinion. What's opinion is Bale's impact on this most successful take on Batman.

But when fighting his physique is covered (and enhanced) by the suit so your claim that his physique adds to his demeanour when fighting is a contradiction. We might see his physique when training but as soon as that suit goes on it's meaningless when beefing up his image. You couldn't see his pecs and abs after putting the BB and TDK suit after all. In fact Bale looks quite gaunt at times as Bruce Wayne, especially in the face.

Not quite sure with the Gollum example as that's a readily identifiable quote and is repeated often but not made fun of. What is made fun of more is the actual performance of an actor and how they perform in a particular scene, like if an actor delivers a really bad accent/voice. They don't laugh at Bale because of what he says, it's how he says it.

I can't deny it has because it has generated excitement but even Nolan has fallen into some of the same mistakes as the previous franchise and did many things similar - but doesn't get taken to task for it. A reboot would hopefully put Batman in a thinner, more comic-book oriented suit and rely on psuedo-science to make it work, or keep his identity secret, or have an actual Batmobile, or skip love stories (and saving girlfriends), or have him be a martial arts master, or a great detective etc. I could go on but I believe we've discussed this before so...

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 08:46 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Who says they will link all the movies together just because they're doing a shared universe? There's a possibility they won't connect the movies at all (or at best just a few names and locations being mentioned) until the JL movie. Kinda like how Alien and Predator both existed in the same universe but weren't linked at all in any way until the Alien vs Predator movie came out (yes, the movie sucked but I'm trying to think of a similar example here). So people might not know these movies exist in the same universe until the JL movie shows they do.

It would make a lot more sense if they do this. How exactly would you set up for a Batman movie in a Superman movie? Or set up for a Flash movie in a Batman movie? I don't think they would go the same route Marvel did and do that even if they are doing a shared universe. And in my opinion, it's better off this way. Marvel crossovers are easier to do because the characters were created by the same group of writers and are all mostly found in the same location (NY) while DC characters were created separate and are spread further apart from each other (Gotham, Central, Metropolis, Star City, etc.).

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 02:35 AM
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
A reboot would hopefully put Batman in a thinner, more comic-book oriented suit

Please please please please please do that DC!!! thumb up

I'm also tired of all the rubber/armor suits we get in live-action. It's time to finally do a good Batman costume on the big screen. It shouldn't be that hard. The fan film City of Scars did it great so I don't see why Hollywood can't do it. If they really think it would look that silly (which doesn't make sense since Batman spends most of his time in the dark and you wouldn't notice the tights that much), just get rid of the underwear and everything will be fine. Or just do the costume from Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. It's the costume from the comics but with a bit of touch to it.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 02:45 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
If only that were true. Then WB wouldn't be so scared to just make it! I heard they had Joss Whedon on board to make it once, but he got fed up of them waiting to make a move on it.

Well seems to me like they're back to the drawing board then as far as a JL movie goes. Without even one big hit to back it up so far.

Drawing on the mega success of the Bale/Nolan franchise would have brought a JL movie forward and given it some good backing imo.

They've already said that Superman would be the anchor movie.

Nolan himself admitted that the world his Batman existed in had no place for Superman. He'd have made wholesale changes himself AND would have had to direct a JLA movie himself to get that kind of backing, imo.

Originally posted by Nephthys
Clooney has said that he played Batman gay. Maybe thats it (not that I'm calling you homophobic).

I hadn't even heard that. I was talking more about how he said Batman wouldn't be as dark as he was, and so on. He didn't get the whole "Bruce Wayne is the identity" thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 02:59 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Who says they will link all the movies together just because they're doing a shared universe? There's a possibility they won't connect the movies at all (or at best just a few names and locations being mentioned) until the JL movie. Kinda like how Alien and Predator both existed in the same universe but weren't linked at all in any way until the Alien vs Predator movie came out (yes, the movie sucked but I'm trying to think of a similar example here). So people might not know these movies exist in the same universe until the JL movie shows they do.

thumb up

Yeah I don't get why people think you HAVE to have camoes/major references in the individual films for the group film to work.

Marvel did that as more of a clever Marketing technique than anything else. And it kind of ruined Iron Man 2 Imo.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 10:32 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

It would make a lot more sense if they do this. How exactly would you set up for a Batman movie in a Superman movie? Or set up for a Flash movie in a Batman movie? I don't think they would go the same route Marvel did and do that even if they are doing a shared universe. And in my opinion, it's better off this way. Marvel crossovers are easier to do because the characters were created by the same group of writers and are all mostly found in the same location (NY) while DC characters were created separate and are spread further apart from each other (Gotham, Central, Metropolis, Star City, etc.).
First off Alien vs Predator is a bad example imo not only because it wasn't that good, I actually kinda liked it myself but mostly for nostalgic purposes, but because when these movies were first created they had no intention of a shared universe. That came way later after fans wanted it because of an Alien Skull prop in the second Predator's movie which was just thrown in there for fun.

That spawned the comics, the game which led into the movies. This kind of showed to as they were basically trying to shoehorn in two separate Universes into one movie.

Now while some would say the time and effort given to showing that the Avengers were a combined universe detracted from the overall story for the individual movies it served to help create a really great one.

Showing them as a shared Universe throughout helped add some depth to the Avengers movie personally. People like Agent Choulson, items like the Cosmic Cube helped link the world a lot better. Howard Stark in Captain America was a brilliant move imo.

Not to say it has to be this way but I do think that marketing choice by Marvel did help give the Avengers movie and the fans a little extra which the JL movie could use.

You could possibly link them all together by say Cademus considering them a threat and deciding to build a super weapon (Doomsday/Amazo) to help the world should these super gods go bad except it gets out and can't be stop. The linkage in every movie could be a Cademus Agent being shown doing something taking something. Superman's DNA or Kyrptonian Tech, GL's bad guy's power source, Wonder Woman DNA Sample, piece of Batman tech or Batman Villain tech, Flash DNA sample stuff like that. Maybe not even that straight forward.

Or you could go a very low brow type of thing and just include a teaser trailer at the end of every movie for the next JLer individual movie coming out.

Just something to get people excited.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 11:42 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Newjak
First off Alien vs Predator is a bad example imo not only because it wasn't that good, I actually kinda liked it myself but mostly for nostalgic purposes, but because when these movies were first created they had no intention of a shared universe. That came way later after fans wanted it because of an Alien Skull prop in the second Predator's movie which was just thrown in there for fun.

That spawned the comics, the game which led into the movies. This kind of showed to as they were basically trying to shoehorn in two separate Universes into one movie.

Now while some would say the time and effort given to showing that the Avengers were a combined universe detracted from the overall story for the individual movies it served to help create a really great one.

Showing them as a shared Universe throughout helped add some depth to the Avengers movie personally. People like Agent Choulson, items like the Cosmic Cube helped link the world a lot better. Howard Stark in Captain America was a brilliant move imo.

Not to say it has to be this way but I do think that marketing choice by Marvel did help give the Avengers movie and the fans a little extra which the JL movie could use.

You could possibly link them all together by say Cademus considering them a threat and deciding to build a super weapon (Doomsday/Amazo) to help the world should these super gods go bad except it gets out and can't be stop. The linkage in every movie could be a Cademus Agent being shown doing something taking something. Superman's DNA or Kyrptonian Tech, GL's bad guy's power source, Wonder Woman DNA Sample, piece of Batman tech or Batman Villain tech, Flash DNA sample stuff like that. Maybe not even that straight forward.

Or you could go a very low brow type of thing and just include a teaser trailer at the end of every movie for the next JLer individual movie coming out.

Just something to get people excited.

thumb up

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 06:58 PM