KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games worth playing just for storyline?

Do you...
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
There are no game storylines that are as good as books/movies/tv shows 0 0%
I like most videogame storylines as much as movies/books/tv 4 40.00%
I very rarely like videogame storylines as much as movies/books/tv 4 40.00%
I actually prefer videogame storylines to movies/boooks/tv shows 2 20.00%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Games worth playing just for storyline?
Started by: Darth Ray Park

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
wakkawakkawakka

Catherine had a pretty cool storyline even though it was mostly about a guy cheating on his girlfriend[SPOILER - highlight to read]: with a chick that wasn't even real

The gameplay is also fun though tedious at times and I never bothered to get all the endings for it because of that.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 11:51 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

The Tales series in general, but Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Symphonia stand out for me.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 11:56 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Purely for the storyline?

Max Payne 1-2.

Silent Hill through 4.

Bioshock 1-2.

Alan Wake.

Deus Ex (all three).

Mafia II.

Actually, in a lot of cases, good stories are backed by big production companies and have good playability. The only games that are questionably clunky or barely worth playing for anything but the story would be DX1 and Silent Hill 1-4.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 12:05 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I'm surprised nobody brought up Portal 2 yet.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 12:43 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

And also the Half-Life games.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 02:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

quote: (post)
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Catherine had a pretty cool storyline even though it was mostly about a guy cheating on his girlfriend[SPOILER - highlight to read]: with a chick that wasn't even real

So I assume you didn't get any of the Catherine (Not Katherine) endings?

Howdy!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 03:37 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Baldur's Gate II. **** yeah!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 03:52 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
So I assume you didn't get any of the Catherine (Not Katherine) endings?

Nope. First time I beat the game I got the good ending with Katherine and the second play-through I got the freedom ending(good).

Course I already know that Catherine's a[SPOILER - highlight to read]: succubus but she isn't real to anyone except the guy she's with...and Boss.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 04:23 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by -Pr-
given that you generally only like things that are crap, you agreeing with him makes me feel validated. thank you.

Says the man who's profile is full of self provided documentation of his across the board terrible tastes in movies, actors and comic characters, that anyone can look up on a whim? Funny. cool

Originally posted by Nephthys
That one for a start.

I think First Contact is better than II, and it isn't as good as Prometheus either. Wrath of Khan is too campy to be compared to Prometheus... actually that assertion can be blanketed for the entire Trek universe, and Stargate to a far greater extent.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Jun 14th, 2012 at 04:27 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 04:25 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Prometheus was filled with ridiculous writing and plot-holes, though.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 04:27 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Prometheus was filled with ridiculous writing and plot-holes, though.

More ridiculous writing and plot-holes than Star Trek or Stargate? Chew on that for a moment.

I don't even think Prometheus was all that great, it's just better than Trek and Stargate. You could cut a good 30-40 minutes out of Prometheus and end up with a more focused and just overall better film. Charlize Theron and Guy Pierce can be (and should have been) removed from the film entirely with only minor rewrites, and doing that would have opened up more space for David who could have used some more development (which is funny to say when he is the only character that really got any). Logan Marshall-Green should have been recast or cut from the movie as well, but that said it`s beautiful film and I honestly think there is potential in Prometheus for a truly great film in Director`s Cut of the film.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Jun 14th, 2012 at 04:47 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 04:43 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I think First Contact is better than II, and it isn't as good as Prometheus either. Wrath of Khan is too campy to be compared to Prometheus... actually that assertion can be blanketed for the entire Trek universe, and Stargate to a far greater extent.

Why is First Contact so great? WoK is a genuinely brilliant movie, and while you may not appreciate the more theatrical tone, you should recognise that the wealth of literary references and the extremely strong themes of the movie make it so.

Also First Contact introduced the Borg Queen, which stands as a completely ****head retarded decision.

Last edited by Nephthys on Jun 14th, 2012 at 04:55 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 04:53 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Says the man who's profile is full of self provided documentation of his across the board terrible tastes in movies, actors and comic characters, that anyone can look up on a whim? Funny. cool

It's okay Srank, your trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude is something i've come to expect by this point.

Though your lack of knowledge about the Star Trek universe does amuse me. Not much, but a little.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 04:55 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Why is First Contact so great? WoK is a genuinely brilliant movie, and while you may not appreciate the more theatrical tone, you should recognise that the wealth of literary references and the extremely strong themes of the movie make it so.

Also First Contact introduced the Borg Queen, which stands as a completely ****head retarded decision.

I like Wrath of Khan, I just prefer Fist Contact. I think it`s less campy - which is an easy task when Ricardo Montalban`s tan shirtless torso isn`t chewing up scenery left and right - and I prefer the crew of TNG.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:02 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

So basically its just personal taste.

Cool story bro.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:04 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by -Pr-
It's okay Srank, your trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude is something i've come to expect by this point.

Though your lack of knowledge about the Star Trek universe does amuse me. Not much, but a little.

I have to say, I love the irony in a person who replies to a post with "LOL!!! Everything you like is crap!" Accusing someone of "a trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude". That's really quaint.

You are the Wesley Crusher of KMC, baselessly arrogant, annoying, social inept and a hypocrite. Maybe one day if we are all lucky you will break free of the cocoon of terribleness and turn into a Wil Wheaton. We can only hope.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:14 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I have to say, I love the irony in a person who replies to a post with "LOL!!! Everything you like is crap!" Accusing someone of "a trollish/hipsterish "it's cool to hate the things people like" attitude". That's really quaint.

You are the Wesley Crusher of KMC, baselessly arrogant, annoying, social inept and a hypocrite. Maybe one day if we are all lucky you will break free of the cocoon of terribleness and turn into a Wil Wheaton. We can only hope.

Sounds like you're mad about something... What, because I used the word "generally" in the first place, making your subsequent post incorrect?

It's okay, I don't mind. Get it all out.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:21 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Could we move away from Prometheus, We have a whole thread for it in the movie section.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:24 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

So basically its just personal taste.

Cool story bro.

Did you think I was going to provide you with quantifiable, empirical proof that First Contact is a better film? All I can tell you is what I think, and what I think First Contact is less campy, more serious, suspenseful and dramatic sci-fi story with characters I like more than Wrath of Khan. I don't really know what you are looking for? Rotten Tomatoes ranks First Contact above Wrath of Khan if you place any value in that, but I don't.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:25 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Did you think I was going to provide you with quantifiable, empirical proof that First Contact is a better film? All I can tell you is what I think, and what I think First Contact is less campy, more serious, suspenseful and dramatic sci-fi story with characters I like more than Wrath of Khan. I don't really know what you are looking for? Rotten Tomatoes ranks First Contact above Wrath of Khan if you place any value in that, but I don't.

I was looking for something a bit more serious than that you just like it more. If you're going to mock others on their preferences you should probably be more prepared to actually back up your own preferences, otherwise you might look slightly hypocritical.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 05:30 AM