KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Ultimate Spider-man Animated

Ultimate Spider-man Animated
Started by: Estacado

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Finally got around to watching this show and I found it pretty enjoyable. To each their own though.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 30th, 2014 05:24 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

I occasionally watch this show on Netflix and it's pretty good.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2014 11:13 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

NO! They've been brainwashed into believing they actually want to watch this!

In all seriousness, catching the odd episode I can see it has improved, but it's still way too kiddish for my taste. And has nothing on all previous Spider-Man animations.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2014 08:47 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
NO! They've been brainwashed into believing they actually want to watch this!

In all seriousness, catching the odd episode I can see it has improved, but it's still way too kiddish for my taste. And has nothing on all previous Spider-Man animations.
I never watched teh Spectacular one but I recently rewatched the old 90s Cartoon and I don't think it holds up well.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 08:07 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Spectacular was amazing. With the nostalgia glasses removed, I'd say it was the best Spider-man show.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 08:48 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Spectacular was my favorite too. But I also loved the 90's one. I remember how excited I was for that Spiderman/X-Men crossover. Because they were both great cartoons at the time.

That was the only thing missing in Spectacular- The superhero crossovers.

But even the crossovers in Ultimate are Meh. Just hate how damn kiddish it is. And really hate those "freeze frame for a laugh" moments.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2014 10:56 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KCJ506

Spectacular is probably the Spider-man show that paid tribute most to the original comics. As every character that appeared that had a name was from the comics. Not a single one was made up for the show. It even used obscure characters like Sha Shan Nguyen.

It also had great characterization(just about every character was developed enough that Peter didn't even have to be around for there to be story), great story arcs, phenomenal fight scenes and the villains are handled great, like the creators actually gave a damn. Especially with how Norman Osborn and Doc Ock were handled. Helps that it's producer was Greg Weisman.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2014 05:22 PM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Disney wanted the show to continue. It was Sony that canceled this show. Disney wanted to continue the show under their banner with the same animation style. Sony threw a fit and was going to sue Disney since this the animation style and property was Under Sony not Marvel or Disney. So it was Sony's fault and if you read in interviews Greg Wiseman said Sony is to blame not Disney.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2014 02:49 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Femi32

I never saw Spectacular Spider-man. sad

Old Post Feb 10th, 2014 02:49 AM
Femi32 is currently offline Click here to Send Femi32 a Private Message Find more posts by Femi32 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KCJ506

Originally posted by Firefly218
Disney wanted the show to continue. It was Sony that canceled this show. Disney wanted to continue the show under their banner with the same animation style. Sony threw a fit and was going to sue Disney since this the animation style and property was Under Sony not Marvel or Disney. So it was Sony's fault and if you read in interviews Greg Wiseman said Sony is to blame not Disney.

That is incorrect. The issue was that even though Marvel/Disney had the animation rights to Spider-man, Sony still owned certain elements of Spectacular, since it was produced by them. So if Marvel/Disney wanted to continue Spectacular, they'd then have to license those elements back. And it's very unlikely they'd pay off a rival studio for a character they own, instead of starting from scratch.

Here's a quote from Weisman pretty much saying the same thing.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg...h.php?qid=14223

quote:
Marvel DIDN'T cancel it.

It's all very complicated, and we were certainly the recipients of bad corporate luck, but no single company cancelled the series. We just wound up with a situation where no single company could proceed with it.

I'll try to break it all down:

1. Sony had originally produced SpecSpidey as part of their overall entertainment license of the Spidey property (which of course included the extremely lucrative live action films).

2. But in order to win some concession on those live action feature films, Sony returned the animation rights to the character back to Marvel.

3. So now only Marvel could produce a Spider-Man cartoon. Sony no longer could, which meant SpecSpidey couldn't continue at Sony.

4. I have no idea whether Marvel was interested in continuing Spectacular Spider-Man or not. But let's assume for the sake of argument that they would have liked to.

5. They couldn't.

6. Why? Because Sony owned all the specific elements (designs, storyline, etc.) to the SpecSpidey VERSION of Spider-Man. So Marvel would have had to license all that BACK from Sony.

7. You can imagine how unlikely THAT scenario was. Marvel finally gets the rights back to do an animated version of their marquee character, and then they have to pay Sony to do it instead of just starting from scratch. That was never going to happen.

8. Of course, all this was complicated by the fact that Disney purchased Marvel, and Disney and Sony are direct competitors.

9. And I'm sure Marvel was excited to put their own stamp on an animated Spider-Man. Who could blame them?

10. So that was it. We were toast through no fault of our own. The folks at Marvel, Sony and even Disney all seemed to like our show, but the corporate mess made it impossible for us to continue.

11. And, yes, it is a bummer. (For me, at least.) But it's no single person or single company's fault. It's just how things shook out.

12. And finally, though I have no involvement with the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man, you can't deny that a lot of great people have worked on it. There's no reason to think it won't be as good or better than SpecSpidey. To a certain generation, SpecSpidey will always be THEIR Spider-Man cartoon. But to a new batch o' viewers, I'm sure their Spidey of choice will be the Ultimate.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2014 04:16 AM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Marvel wanted to continue the series, but it wasn't logical doing so if Marvel had to pay Sony - a direct competitor.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2014 06:36 AM
Darth Thor

All this goes to show- We always whine about Sony having the rights to Spider-Man instead of Marvel, but clearly we should be careful what we whine about.

It was Sony that gave us the awesome show that was Spectacular Spider-Man. Whilst Marvel has got the rights back now and given us this Ultimate rubbish. Also someone pointed out to me that if Marvel won Spider-Man back, that we would not get all these Avenger movies plus new Spider-Man movies every year. Because there's only so much Marvel studios could produce.

On another note I wonder what "concessions" Marvel gave Sony for the Live-Action Spider-Man movies as part of the deal for regaining the Spider-Man cartoon rights?

Old Post Feb 10th, 2014 09:15 AM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ultimate Spiderman is geared towards a younger audience, and is doing quite successful. Sucks for you if you don't like it.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 02:29 AM
BruhMan
World Champion

I feel like since Disney bought Marvel it means we may never see a shred of maturity in their animated works again.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 05:44 AM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Sadly JayDaDon is right. Actually wish they left the rights with Sony. Who cares about animated crossovers when they're as childish as they are now at Marvel.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 09:19 AM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ Sadly JayDaDon is right. Actually wish they left the rights with Sony. Who cares about animated crossovers when they're as childish as they are now at Marvel.

Um... Kids would care

BTW, I actually think kids are a bigger market when it comes to Disney animation. As far as I know, kids love this show. Even my little sister watches this on Netflix

Last edited by Firefly218 on Feb 11th, 2014 at 05:14 PM

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 05:07 PM
KCJ506

The reason Ultimate is so "successful" is because little kids will literally watch anything you put on TV for them. That's not really saying much though. Any show will be a success with that particular age group. On the other hand, shows like Batman TAS, X-men TAS and Justice League/Unlimted were a far bigger success due to being watched by not only that age group but also by older kids, teens, and adults. That is why those shows left such a legacy behind.

I don't hate Ulimate Spider-man, but for people to keep using it being geared towards the younger crowd is really not a good excuse. Just because a work of fiction is aimed at a certain demographic doesn't mean they don't need to put any quality or effort into anything. It doesn't matter who it's aimed at. I mean the Disney and Pixar films have a good number of both kid and adult fans. And Spongebob has even been a hit with it's intended demographic and the older ones.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
I feel like since Disney bought Marvel it means we may never see a shred of maturity in their animated works again.

That's actually more on Jeph Loeb(the current head of Marvel animation). He thinks serialized story telling doesn't work in cartoons.(despite past cartoons having them) He's pretty much saying that all kids these days have ADD. This is one of the reasons why Earth's Mightiest Heroes was replaced with Avengers Assemble.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 06:29 PM
BruhMan
World Champion

If he doesn't think serialized story telling works in cartoons, the only conclusion is he must be deaf and blind.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 08:14 PM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by KCJ506
The reason Ultimate is so "successful" is because little kids will literally watch anything you put on TV for them. That's not really saying much though. Any show will be a success with that particular age group.

Generalization

Originally posted by KCJ506

Just because a work of fiction is aimed at a certain demographic doesn't mean they don't need to put any quality or effort into anything.

There are a lot of people who put a lot of effort into making this show.

Quality is subjective. I don't share your opinion, as don't the millions of people who watch Ultimate Spiderman consistently.

I like the idea of spidey joining SHIELD. There may be a couple odd elements, like spidey breaking the 4th wall, being part of a team, having a motor cycle, killing genuine moments with punny comedy etc.. It doesn't bother me too much.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2014 09:33 PM
Darth Thor

Generalization

There are a lot of people who put a lot of effort into making this show.

Quality is subjective. I don't share your opinion, as don't the millions of people who watch Ultimate Spiderman consistently.

There's nothing subjective about it. No one under the age of 5 enjoys this show. And like KCJ506 said, with popular brand names like Spider-Man, Avengers or Batman, you can easily put them in stupid funny (for kids) low quality format, and that demographic is guaranteed to watch it.

Doesn't change the fact that this is a poor show, and that the one Sony was doing "Spectacular" was a great show.

I like the idea of spidey joining SHIELD. There may be a couple odd elements, like spidey breaking the 4th wall, being part of a team, having a motor cycle, killing genuine moments with punny comedy etc.. It doesn't bother me too much.

Your not capable of criticizing Marvel so your opinion holds little weight.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2014 08:55 AM