KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Best Superman Fights No One Ever Talks About

Best Superman Fights No One Ever Talks About
Started by: PillarofOsiris

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PillarofOsiris

Best Superman Fights No One Ever Talks About

Comics only. And don't say "Death of Superman, or Kingdom Come.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 01:03 AM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

I don't know if this gets talked about a lot, but I thought it was pretty awesome.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums...aster%20Jailer/

Old Post Jun 15th, 2012 01:35 AM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I always liked Superman vs the leader of the white martians during Morrison's outstanding JLA run.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 09:57 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Greg Rucka's "Sacrifice", Superman versus Wonder Woman, WWv2#219.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 10:08 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Greg Rucka's "Sacrifice", Superman versus Wonder Woman, WWv2#219.

I don't see how that qualifies as one that nobody ever talks about. stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 10:40 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Serious question, P.R. -- how does one go about creating a forum for a particular character?
There aren't any guidelines that I can see.
It isn't covered in any of the frequently asked questions.

Who do you talk to and what do you need to demonstrate to get one going?
If you don't feel it appropriate to respond here, please send me a private message or something.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 11:04 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Serious question, P.R. -- how does one go about creating a forum for a particular character?
There aren't any guidelines that I can see.
It isn't covered in any of the frequently asked questions.

Who do you talk to and what do you need to demonstrate to get one going?
If you don't feel it appropriate to respond here, please send me a private message or something.

Thank you in advance for your time.

You need to make a request to the mods, usually by making a thread in the "News And Questions" forum at the bottom of your page, to try to get support. The current admin isn't really around much nowadays, so I don't know, even if you got the support for a Wonder Woman forum (if that's what you're suggesting), if anything would actually come of it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 20th, 2012 11:08 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

people actually like superman?

I have returned

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 01:14 AM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
people actually like superman?

Yes. More than Black Adam generally, too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 02:21 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Ones they don't talk about very much? Hard to say, since people like debating Supes & his potential...

I've always liked the brawls he's had with Orion, despite the fact they're allies. Because Superman always seems dumfounded by Orion's personality, like "What the hell is his problem? This psycho practically drools anger! He should suffer a heart attack and leave me alone." big grin

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 03:34 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by roughrider
Ones they don't talk about very much? Hard to say, since people like debating Supes & his potential...

I've always liked the brawls he's had with Orion, despite the fact they're allies. Because Superman always seems dumfounded by Orion's personality, like "What the hell is his problem? This psycho practically drools anger! He should suffer a heart attack and leave me alone." big grin

Case in point...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...an/pic003-1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...an/pic004-1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...an/pic005-1.jpg

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 03:51 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Superman's first fight with the Hulk back in 1981. Actually, I consider it one of the best crossover fights, period.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 05:45 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

Scans?

I have returned

Old Post Jun 21st, 2012 08:41 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Scans?
No. Read it years ago. But I can still find pages from it when I google "superman vs hulk" 1981. While most of the fight is uneventful, the 'wow factor', for me, was at the end.

Basically, pre-crisis Superman decides he's not going to be punched around anymore. He takes a stand, literally, even saying once he decides this, no force on Earth can move him if he doesn't want to be moved. And sure enough, Hulk is wailing away and Superman isn't even flinching. I thought this scene wonderfully highlighted the power of Superman.

However: the narration reads that as this goes on, the Hulk is getting madder and madder and his strength is growing geometrically, to where Superman has to block a punch, and the narration reads that "the outcome of this strange duel is in doubt." I thought this superbly highlighted the power of the Hulk.

It ends with Superman discovering a tiny robot orbiting Hulk's head at superspeed, driving him batty, and he destroys it with HV, wherein Hulk starts to calm down.

Last edited by Mindship on Jun 22nd, 2012 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2012 07:18 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Mindship
No. Read it years ago. But I can still find pages from it when I google "superman vs hulk" 1981. While most of the fight is uneventful, the 'wow factor', for me, was at the end.

Basically, pre-crisis Superman decides he's not going to be punched around anymore. He takes a stand, literally, even saying once he decides this, no force on Earth can move him if he doesn't want to be moved. And sure enough, Hulk is wailing away and Superman isn't even flinching. I thought this scene wonderfully highlighted the power of Superman.

However: the narration reads that as this goes on, the Hulk is getting madder and madder and his strength is growing geometrically, to where Superman has to block a punch, and the narration reads that "the outcome of this strange duel is in doubt." I thought this superbly highlighted the power of the Hulk.

It ends with Superman discovering a tiny robot orbiting Hulk's head at superspeed, driving him batty, and he destroys it with HV, wherein Hulk starts to calm down.

Yes, that tiny robot was put there by Dr. Doom, and it was driving Hulk insane. As soon as Superman crushed it, Hulk stopped and was confused as to where he was. Though Superman never seemed to pull a stunt like that again - putting all his power into not being moved - the fight was handled pretty logically. I think it was the second of two crossovers Superman had with Spider Man, and this one was done by Marvel veterans Jim Shooter and John Buscema.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2012 04:56 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

the fight was handled pretty logically.
Exactly. The fight paid homage to both characters w/o shortchanging either.

I think it was the second of two crossovers Superman had with Spider Man
I believe you are correct, sir, the first being The First Crossover Ever between Marvel and DC.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2012 06:06 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 12:44 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

The Dominus fight, even though it was massive PIS I liked how he kept changing into the alternate versions of his character and making puns based on them, reminded me of Spider-Man almost

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 12:45 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Galan007
T'was a swift fight, but good nonetheless...
Thanks for posting scans. thumb up

Old Post Jun 24th, 2012 11:31 AM
riv6672

Post Crisis Superman's first meeting with the Joker.
He'd already met Batman by this time, but this was a one on one.
It was quite a nice battle of wits between the two.
What really did it for me though, is a subtle nod to just how bat crap crazy and psychotic Joker is.
Byrne doesnt beat you over the head with it but, at the start of the book, Joker damn near sets off a nuclear bomb in the middle of Metropolis.
At the end, Supes asks why the Joker even came to his City. His response: "Why not?"
Thats just chilling, especially viewed in post 9/11 world.

And of course, no one really talks about this story that i've seen.

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by riv6672 on Feb 1st, 2015 at 01:37 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2015 01:30 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote