KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Higgs boson particle

Higgs boson particle
Started by: Digi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101

Or "of" and "have"

An example of this kind of glaring mistake? Is it a British thing?

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 12:01 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I read that they still need to confirm that this new particle has a spin value of 0 before we official confirm that it is the Higgs Boson. Probably is though, so hurrah for the completion of Standard Model of particle physics.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 12:01 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
An example of this kind of glaring mistake? Is it a British thing?

Seen it hundreds of times on this forum...People thinking that when you physically say the contraction of "should have" into "should've" it sounds like "should of" so that's what they type...Idiots.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 12:08 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Seen it hundreds of times on this forum...People thinking that when you physically say the contraction of "should have" into "should've" it sounds like "should of" so that's what they type...Idiots.

Ahh. Yeah, that is annoying.

Your/you're is also vexing. Imagine someone warning someone with "watch you are back"

And "I could care less" in place of "I couldn't care less"

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 01:01 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I read that they still need to confirm that this new particle has a spin value of 0 before we official confirm that it is the Higgs Boson. Probably is though, so hurrah for the completion of Standard Model of particle physics.

They'll probably want to confirm that it has the right charge and parity and all kinds of other vastly more obscure things that the Standard Model predicts about it before they're satisfied.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 01:12 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

This one always irked me. The contractions I can chalk up to typos and carelessness, but that phrase was just poorly thought out.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 02:06 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Realistically though, the only way you could stamp out those kinds of mistakes would be to institute totalitarianesque reeducation camps.

And even well-educated people occasionally have slips--I catch myself speaking solecisms all the time (though I usually self-correct...aloud...it confuses some people when they see me doing it)

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 04:14 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
They'll probably want to confirm that it has the right charge and parity and all kinds of other vastly more obscure things that the Standard Model predicts about it before they're satisfied.

It is supposed to have no color charge, as well.

As I understand the results, it was surmised that it is the "particle they were looking for" due to how massive it is at at the energy state they were looking. So the properties do go largely unconfirmed.

But, based on where they found their results, they are pretty dang sure (apparently).

Eat all the cupcakes because...

THE HIGGS BOSON IS ITS OWN ANTIPARTICLE!

And even well-educated people occasionally have slips--I catch myself speaking solecisms all the time (though I usually self-correct...aloud...it confuses some people when they see me doing it)

I do this, as well. I can write a 10 page paper in a few hours with no mistakes but can't have an IM convo longer than 10 minutes without a mistake. Something about the internet makes them stupid.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 06:25 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Morridini
Curious, how do anyone reach the conclusion that this disproves God?

To call it the God particle is a bit misleading. It doesn't disprove God.

The Higgs particle is a component in the Higgs' field which is a theorized field in the standard model that through various Lie couplings — depending on the particle — attributes the particles with mass. It's all very basic, and I'll be glad to answer any question you have regarding the matter. Because I like flexing my intelligence.

But it would be comfortable if there was experimental verification of it. If we've actually discovered it then I'm curious as to the method employed, I'm looking forward for the article.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 09:32 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I think it would cost billions in order to make sure no one in the world ever mixed up "there", "they're" and "their" again.

Or "of" and "have"

Or any of those stupid mistakes that make me want to kill people.
Ahh. Yeah, that is annoying.

Your/you're is also vexing. Imagine someone warning someone with "watch you are back"

Your both really close minded. I could care less weather that offends you, you should of some decency! Their is just a lack of respect in your posts.

Put one in for good measure.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 10:58 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I know all that, I was just perplexed how anyone would say that discovering a Higgs boson would disprove God...

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 10:58 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

God requires faith.
Evidence of God's existence disproves him.
The Higgs Boson is made of God.
Thus we found God.
Thus God does not exist.

Lol, the Babel Fish argument, I like it!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 11:03 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Morridini
I know all that, I was just perplexed how anyone would say that discovering a Higgs boson would disprove God...

This is Symmetric Chaos we're talking about, even when he's not intentionally fooling around what he says should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 11:12 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Ahh, I didn't know that that was a factor, I don't usually venture outside the Video Game section of this forum (only came here as it is fun seeing how non-physicsists reacted to this).

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 11:22 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Bardock42
Your both really close minded. I could care less weather that offends you, you should of some decency! Their is just a lack of respect in your posts.

Put one in for good measure.

This reminds me of when someone got annoyed with me when I typed: "who're" instead of "who are" because it reminded him of "whore".

Last edited by Astner on Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 11:25 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
It is supposed to have no color charge, as well.

As I understand the results, it was surmised that it is the "particle they were looking for" due to how massive it is at at the energy state they were looking. So the properties do go largely unconfirmed.

But, based on where they found their results, they are pretty dang sure (apparently).

Eat all the cupcakes because...

THE HIGGS BOSON IS ITS OWN ANTIPARTICLE!

CERN says they know what they found is a boson as well which narrows things down a lot. A few physicists have said that there are dozens of candidates that are bosons with roughly that mass but the Higgs is considered the most likely due to its pedigree.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 01:14 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

CERN says they know what they found is a boson as well which narrows things down a lot. A few physicists have said that there are dozens of candidates that are bosons with roughly that mass but the Higgs is considered the most likely due to its pedigree.

It was the the energy required and 122? (I have seen 133) proton masses properties that I was talking about.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 02:03 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
It was the the energy required and 122? (I have seen 133) proton masses properties that I was talking about.

Oops, there was supposed to be an "also" in there. With the mass and the type of particle they were able to narrow it down to the Standard Higgs, several Higgs variants, or a few fringe ideas.

Its huge and its the right kind of particle so they're fairly confident. It has to be 133 since its 125 GeV and protons has a mass of less than 1GeV. In looking this up I found that the particle the found is SEVEN times as massive as a water molecule. That's insane.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 02:38 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I was curious what you two meant with 122 and 133, then I Googled it and found out that it Wikipedia describes the energy of these particles in proton masses of those numbers.

If you have any actual questions regarding the standard model of quantum field theory, then I'm your guy.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 04:26 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Astner
I was curious what you two meant with 122 and 133, then I Googled it and found out that it Wikipedia describes the energy of these particles in proton masses of those numbers.

If you have any actual questions regarding the standard model of quantum field theory, then I'm your guy.

You're my guy regardless of that.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2012 04:34 PM