KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Best travelling speed feats

Best travelling speed feats
Started by: abhilegend

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (55): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dream Stuff

http://tinypic.com/r/10dgncw/6
http://tinypic.com/r/2h4c4fk/6

This is one of the more quantifiable high-end speed feats in comics. You know about how great the distance is (just over 1 light year) and the equivalent of a starting gun courtesy of warlock.

Using deliberately low-ball estimates of Thanos' punching speed (trying only to put him around peak-human) and a generous assumption that his punch was already 25% completed before he was interrupted, I figured that Surfer was averaging over 40 billion x the speed of light--traveling over one light year in under a thousandth of a second.

Not bad from a standing start.

Last edited by Dream Stuff on Jul 25th, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 12:42 AM
Dream Stuff is currently offline Click here to Send Dream Stuff a Private Message Find more posts by Dream Stuff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

The Flash races himself up across Mercury (3032 miles radious) by jumping the time stream.

I think most feats are kind of "possible" but the Flash racing himself up and beating himself up is kind of impossible

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 12:50 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Re: Re: Best travelling speed feats

quote: (post)
Originally posted by h1a8
I see you used that he traveled a half million light years in 10 seconds. Well this isn't quite true since the conversation took at least 20 seconds. I took a stopwatch while reading the panel in conversation speed. So about half your number seems best.
umm, surfer was telling genis they were about to hit warp speed. there was no talking during that point

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:00 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by -Pr-
Where does the ten second count come from?

That's the only way he could get his answer from. He used 10 seconds.
But the conversation took at least 20 seconds. I used a stopwatch and read the conversation in natural speed.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:02 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Re: Re: Re: Best travelling speed feats

Originally posted by psycho gundam
umm, surfer was telling genis they were about to hit warp speed. there was no talking during that point

Surfer was accelerating the whole time. It took time for him to reach warp speed. Thus the conservation should count since Surfer is still racing to get there.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:03 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Dream Stuff

This is one of the more quantifiable high-end speed feats in comics. You know about how great the distance is (just over 1 light year) and the equivalent of a starting gun courtesy of warlock.

Using deliberately low-ball estimates of Thanos' punching speed (trying only to put him around peak-human) and a generous assumption that his punch was already 25% completed before he was interrupted, I figured that Surfer was averaging over 40 billion x the speed of light--traveling over one light year in under a thousandth of a second.

I would say it took 1 to 3 seconds for SS to get there. Thanos wasn't trying to use his full force on Cap. Cap had time to act (as shown in his facial expressions) when Thanos was moving.

Last edited by h1a8 on Jul 25th, 2012 at 01:08 AM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:05 AM
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

lol. they were 500,000 light years away when he said that stuff, goes into warp speed, and in the next panel they reach their destination

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:06 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

But the conversation took at least 20 seconds. I used a stopwatch and read the conversation in natural speed.
(please log in to view the image)

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:12 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Did you time yourself ten times, and average it out

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:21 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dream Stuff

I would say it took 1 to 3 seconds for SS to get there. Thanos wasn't trying to use his full force on Cap. Cap had time to act (as shown in his facial expressions) when Thanos was moving.

Even holding back, it would not take anyone 1 to 3 seconds to throw a punch. Try it right now. It feels ridiculous, doesn't it?

I also don't see why an estimate for peak human punching speed would be considered Thanos going all out.

And Cap, a low-end bullet-timer, having time to react to a punch at peak human speed isn't unusual. Him having only time to make a slightly different facial expression indicates that the fist is moving much faster, but I didn't take that into account to avoid any more speculation than necessary.

Besides, Surfer's typical speed is around 1 light year per second, based on just the scans you'd see in the respect thread. That's him from a standing start, not particularly trying.

Last edited by Dream Stuff on Jul 25th, 2012 at 01:26 AM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:22 AM
Dream Stuff is currently offline Click here to Send Dream Stuff a Private Message Find more posts by Dream Stuff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Even holding back, it would not take anyone 1 to 3 seconds to throw a punch. Try it right now. It feels ridiculous, doesn't it?

I also don't see why an estimate for peak human punching speed would be considered Thanos going all out.

And Cap, a low-end bullet-timer, having time to react to a punch at peak human speed isn't unusual. Him having only time to make a slightly different facial expression indicates that the fist is moving much faster, but I didn't take that into account to avoid any more speculation than necessary.

Besides, Surfer's typical speed is around 1 light year per second, based on just the scans you'd see in the respect thread. That's him from a standing start, not particularly trying.

Cap knew resistance was futile and that is why he allowed Thanos to punch without dodging it. Thanos cocked back as well.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:29 AM
Dream Stuff

Cap knew resistance was futile and that is why he allowed Thanos to punch without dodging it. Thanos cocked back as well.

Cap gave up. That's your explanation. Sure.

Anyway, I accounted for the cocked back punch.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:37 AM
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by Galan007

Considering no specifics were given regarding the amount of time it took them to travel that distance, I'm curious to know how you came up with such an exorbitant figure..?

My best guess is:

Since OA is a planet in the center of the universe and the nearest Galaxy to Andromeda is about 2.52 million light years away from it, it will mean they have to fly AT LEAST that distance in comic time. That could be a starting point.

But like I said, I'm guessing in here.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 01:47 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

This isnt anywhere near as great as the other examples, but I always dug this one of the Surfer scanning the entire planet in mere seconds.

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/...nual0508tc4.jpg

By Stoic

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 02:23 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

The Plutonian taking a bomb from groundside on Earth, to space in under the 4 seconds it had on the timer. He even had time to throw it away from itself.

Plutonian again, sensing a radio signal, reaching it in under a pico second, then outracing it back to it's source which was a pretty good distance away.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 03:09 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

I have another one

Superman matching teleportation from the ionosphere to 2000 ft below ground. This means he had to dig a hole, while matching the JLA teleporters.

They are communicating via MMH, Flash is the only reacting to SM speed, well... because He is Flash.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 03:40 AM
janus77
Banana Genius

anyone got the scan of Surfer mapping the universe whilst travelling at many times FTL?

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 03:52 AM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

what do you mean "used ten seconds". Was ten seconds stated in the comic?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 03:56 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Surfer beaing to fast for a human to comprehend.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 03:56 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

This is INSANE! This shit takes the cake!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2012 03:57 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote