KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » The Dark Knight Returns

The Dark Knight Returns
Started by: sindahouse

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

For me, that was due to the larger cast, most of which was quality.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2013 09:46 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Part II was a great, great(that's 2 "greats") film. Definitely my favorite animated comic-flick to date-- I give it 5/5 stars.

I was actually surprised DC allowed so much violence in this movie. That is likely what set it so far apart from anything else in the genre... Not to mention that the animation, storytelling, and voice actors were nearly perfect as well.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 03:01 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I was actually surprised DC allowed so much violence in this movie.

Mutant Leader didn't kick Bruce in the nuts in part one sad

Haven't seen part two yet.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 03:58 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

It was good but this isn't better than Under the Red Hood.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 06:09 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Just watched Mike Matei's review of the two movies

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/02/06/...tains-spoilers/

changed a few things from the graphic novel (Which i haven't read myself) and with that, some things with these animated movies seem confusing.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 08:43 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Finally saw them both last night. Enjoyed them very much. Tho i never enjoy Supes losing to Bats

"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 02:18 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent_Bomber

I really, really hated this, seem to be in the minority though.

I enjoyed Year One a HELLUVA lot more.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2013 11:09 PM
Silent_Bomber is currently offline Click here to Send Silent_Bomber a Private Message Find more posts by Silent_Bomber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Haven't seen it yet. That good huh?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2013 07:48 PM
juggerman is currently offline Click here to Send juggerman a Private Message Find more posts by juggerman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent_Bomber

Originally posted by juggerman
Haven't seen it yet. That good huh?

I liked it, it was much more grounded in reality than Dark Night Returns, and much more character driven (a lot of time was spent with Commissioner Gordon and his wife's relationship as they first move to Gotham).

Some Batman fans seem to think it boring, but I like some of these more grounded, less action-intensive stories from Batman, the ones with normal gangster villains, corruption etc.

Frankly Dark Knight Returns felt like a long sequence of "jumping the shark" scenes to me, and everybody seemed to act out of character IMO.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2013 08:01 PM
Silent_Bomber is currently offline Click here to Send Silent_Bomber a Private Message Find more posts by Silent_Bomber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Silent_Bomber

You do realise that both TDKR & Year One animations were based on graphic novels, written by the same person?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2013 07:48 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

So he couldn't enjoy one story over the other?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2013 01:26 PM
Silent_Bomber

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
You do realise that both TDKR & Year One animations were based on graphic novels, written by the same person?
I don't really understand the relevancy here, I don't have to automatically love or hate all things from the same writer confused

Also I haven't read the original TDKR, just seen the animated version, so I don't know if they created new problems not present in the original source material.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2013 01:27 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Well...straight up, my opinion's gonna be biased.
I was in my mid-twenties when the graphic novel was released & at the time it was considered & labelled as, "The very first comic, written for adults."
Frank Miller's rendition of The Batman was praised as "The Bible for the Batman Universe." Countless writers afterwards respected the notion that this would be how Batman's future would become & wrote their stories to hint both at his retirement & senility. Even Miller's "abstract" art was viewed as both a pleasant change & a challenge to the clean cut, conventional/cliched illustrations of other heroes at the time.

So to finally see an animated version that follows the storyline BUT tones down Batman's senility & suicidal monologue... is in my opinion
a bit of a disappointment but at the same time enjoyable & tame enough that I can watch it with my 7 yr old son & not deal with issues of "Why does Batman have a death-wish?"

Last edited by Esau Cairn on Mar 6th, 2013 at 06:59 AM

Old Post Mar 6th, 2013 06:57 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggerman

Gonna try to watch Year One tonight and it better be good!!!!!

How did you like Under the Red Hood?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2013 11:59 AM
steverules_2

I watched both parts together and did love them both, it was awesome

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Mar 18th, 2013 06:56 PM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Gonna try to watch Year One tonight and it better be good!!!!!

I enjoyed Under the Red Hood. Definitely worth watching.
Originally posted by steverules_2
I watched both parts together and did love them both, it was awesome

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Mar 21st, 2013 04:27 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Mar 21st, 2013 10:36 AM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent_Bomber

It was ok, but I didn't really enjoy it that much tbh.

Spent the whole film thinking the writer was trying to make a name for himself by retconing one of the most important Batman stories simply so that he could tell a very by-the-numbers story which didn't really add much to the Batman mythos in comparison to what it had undermined.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2013 02:08 AM
juggerman

It was ok, but I didn't really enjoy it that much tbh.

Spent the whole film thinking the writer was trying to make a name for himself by retconing one of the most important Batman stories simply so that he could tell a very by-the-numbers story which didn't really add much to the Batman mythos in comparison to what it had undermined.

The past was altered cuz of Superboy Prime shattering reality in the comic. They couldn't really go that route in the movie tho. BTW i saw Year One and enjoyed it very much tho i like the others better. Maybe it's cuz i like the Joker so much.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2013 04:43 PM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

So does this open the possibility of all of Miller's Batman being adapted? Spawn/Batman was pretty good. DK2 and All Star/Dark Knight Boy Wonder are more controversial though, what with these being the books where he really regressed into fascism.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2013 03:59 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote