KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » David Cronenberg Is Not Fan Of Superhero Movies

David Cronenberg Is Not Fan Of Superhero Movies
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

David Cronenberg Is Not Fan Of Superhero Movies

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...s/news/?a=65779

Says that they're for kids

he might be a good a director but obviously hasn't read a comic.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 06:36 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Cronenberg is misery, IMO. Boring movies, except for a few.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 07:29 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Around the time he released Dead Ringers, he also said he would never make a movie about lawyers, either. So there's at least two genres he won't touch. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm surprised to hear him make such a generalized statement about comics, considering he directed the adaption of Vertigo's A History Of Violence. Things have leaped way forward in maturity levels since the mid-1980's, David. Perhaps his words were out of context from a much longer interview. There's great and juvenile examples of films in all genres, including horror films. What if someone said to him "I don't care if you made some of the greatest, most disturbing horror films ever; all horror movies are immature fluff at their core"...?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 04:33 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Golgo13
Cronenberg is misery, IMO. Boring movies, except for a few.

Cronenberg is a great director.
Films like ExistenZ and Videodrome were better than the Matrix. Though the first Matrix still rocked.
The Fly remake was better than any Spiderman film.
His films focus more on the human condition. And in circumstances the condition in situations of philosophical out of body and genetic manipulations to create the sense of endless possibilities.

I agree with him comicbook movies simply give audiences a fun ride with characters with a theme or personality trait viewers can relate to but give them a power to express their desires and intent.

Peter Parker received his powers and struggled against similar villains. His only struggle.....keeping his secret from those he loved lest they be in danger. His life partner continuously moving on to other men whilst he weeped from afar. His best friend becoming an enemy/ally due to Peter killing his father. LAME.
I always liked the story of Parker slowly becoming a spider. His gifts becoming a curse.
The symbiote storyline could've looked into this but all it did was make him an angry douche.

I will always love comic books, they are modern mythology. And their films will always cater for the kids both young and adult.
Is this a bad thing? No.

It's not Hollywood's weakness that it needs to cater for the masses.
Money's money.
But I would like to see comics venture more into mature television.
Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad. The Wire. THE WALKING DEAD!
I would like to see comics enter the mature TV market. And give us adults something to appreciate.

Unfortunately in an environment of piracy. No medium of entertainment is escapable by kids with a computer. So the restrictions I grew up with are now impossible.

I may never see a mature ultra violent, well acted and deep Wolverine movie/series but I can hope for one!

I'm blabbering but Cronenberg is right to some degree. But the nature of the beast isn't so easy to tame.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 05:58 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by the ninjak
Cronenberg is a great director.
Films like ExistenZ and Videodrome were better than the Matrix. Though the first Matrix still rocked.
The Fly remake was better than any Spiderman film.
His films focus more on the human condition. And in circumstances the condition in situations of philosophical out of body and genetic manipulations to create the sense of endless possibilities.

I agree with him comicbook movies simply give audiences a fun ride with characters with a theme or personality trait viewers can relate to but give them a power to express their desires and intent.

Peter Parker received his powers and struggled against similar villains. His only struggle.....keeping his secret from those he loved lest they be in danger. His life partner continuously moving on to other men whilst he weeped from afar. His best friend becoming an enemy/ally due to Peter killing his father. LAME.
I always liked the story of Parker slowly becoming a spider. His gifts becoming a curse.
The symbiote storyline could've looked into this but all it did was make him an angry douche.

I will always love comic books, they are modern mythology. And their films will always cater for the kids both young and adult.
Is this a bad thing? No.

It's not Hollywood's weakness that it needs to cater for the masses.
Money's money.
But I would like to see comics venture more into mature television.
Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad. The Wire. THE WALKING DEAD!
I would like to see comics enter the mature TV market. And give us adults something to appreciate.

Unfortunately in an environment of piracy. No medium of entertainment is escapable by kids with a computer. So the restrictions I grew up with are now impossible.

I may never see a mature ultra violent, well acted and deep Wolverine movie/series but I can hope for one!

I'm blabbering but Cronenberg is right to some degree. But the nature of the beast isn't so easy to tame.

You know I love horror movies, Ninja, but Cronenberg isn't my cup of tea. Even his movies that I like are hard to sit through at times.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 06:17 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HarryCanyon

Cronenberg is an artist and he does like comics but not superhero ones, but he should watch Nolan's Batman movies and Watchmen which are ones aimed at adults.

He should read Alan Moore's Watchmen to see that a superhero comic isn't always kids stuff and he did terrific job of doing Vertigo's History of Violence on the big screen

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 04:25 AM
HarryCanyon is currently offline Click here to Send HarryCanyon a Private Message Find more posts by HarryCanyon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by HarryCanyon

He should read Alan Moore's Watchmen to see that a superhero comic isn't always kids stuff and he did terrific job of doing Vertigo's History of Violence on the big screen

And also Garth Ennis's run on Punisher Max.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 07:44 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

he's just riding batman's coattails (or cape?) to promote his new movie..

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 08:00 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

David Cronanberg starred in Nightbreed!

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 08:05 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by super pr*xy
he's just riding batman's coattails (or cape?) to promote his new movie..

Yeah... because that makes sense.

Anyway, I like Cronenberg, and with his film catalog I think he has earned to the right levy criticism against any director if he sees fit... but I wish he would just concentrate on making a good film. His one two punch of a History of Violence and Eastern Promises was amazing... unfortunately it was fallowed by Dangerous Method and Cosmopolis. Get back on point David and let Nolan worry about how terrible a film TDKR is.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 08:24 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Nightbreed was a comicbook movie folks.....

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 08:31 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Croninberg is an idiot..

prolly jealous because Marvel nor WB has ever asked him to direct one of their films

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 09:13 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Croninberg is an idiot..

prolly jealous because Marvel nor WB has ever asked him to direct one of their films

I heard that Stanley Kubrick really died of a deep depression brought on by the fact that he had never directed a Marvel or DC movie, and not a heart attack.

Directors like Nolan do big movies like Batman so they can get more clout with the studios that they can use to make the riskier films they actually want to make, like Inception. Cronenberg is one of the best directors of all time, he has all the clout he needs and can do what ever he wants. I doubt he gives two f@cks about Marvel, DC or Nolan.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Aug 18th, 2012 at 07:53 PM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 07:49 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by srankmissingnin

I heard that Stanley Kubrick really died of a deep depression brought on by the fact that he had never directed a Marvel or DC movie, and not a heart attack.

Directors like Nolan do big movies like Batman so they can get more clout with the studios that they can use to make the riskier films they actually want to make, like Inception. Cronenberg is one of the best directors of all time, he has all the clout he needs and can do what ever he wants. I doubt he gives two f@cks about Marvel, DC or Nolan.

well then no one told him to open his mouth regarding comic book movies...

as i said he probably is jealous, he prolly has wanted to direct a comic book film and was turned down.. not my problem if that possibly is a true statement

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 07:58 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Cronenberg would be #100 of all time on my list. That's being generous.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:03 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
well then no one told him to open his mouth regarding comic book movies...

as i said he probably is jealous, he prolly has wanted to direct a comic book film and was turned down.. not my problem if that possibly is a true statement

He was asked a question about super hero movies from an interviewer. He answered.

The notion that Cronenberg is jealous is absurd, even relative to the dumb ass shit you normally post. Let me guess, you think Scorsese and Spielberg are sitting by they phone this instance praying the get a call form Marvel or DC?

laughing

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:05 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Golgo13
Cronenberg would be #100 of all time on my list. That's being generous.

He'd probably hit the 60s might 50s on mine.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:06 PM
Senor Cage

Who is your top 5? In no order, if you want. Hitchock is my all time fav.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:07 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Maybe:

Hitchcock
Polanski
Scorsese
Kurosawa
Sergio Leone

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:17 PM
Senor Cage

lol! No wonder you hate Quentin Tarantino. I love Leone myself along with Scorsese. I would put David Lean in my top 10 or so for epic movies. Woody Allen would have to be in my top 5 as well.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 08:20 PM