KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » The New 52... Will it last?

The New 52... Will it last?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The New 52... Will it last?

As you all know, Pandora is the sinner who revamped DC into what it is now, with Barry's (yet undisclosed) "help":
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/13129441/0.jpg.html

However, when the Phantom Stranger confronted Pandora, he acted as though the New 52 was an abomination that needed to be undone, so that reality could be set back to the way it was:
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/13129355/1.jpg.html
And since PS was sent by the Circle of Eternity(of whom represent a higher power than Spectre himself), it means they [also] wish reality to be reverted back by proxy.

So my question is if you guys think the New 52 will ultimately be transformed back to its pre-Flashpoint self after "Trinity War" has concluded, or do you think DC will opt to keep the New 52 around permanently? They've certainly left it open to go either way, imo.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 5th, 2012 at 08:04 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:01 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

As long as their making money and for the most part reviews are good they won't change. I could see them do it when sales are down, but as of right now it's only been one year of the new 52, I just don't see them ending it already.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:08 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I think it'll last for awhile, but it wouldn't shock me if they did something like Marvel and Ult Marvel and run new and old side by side.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:14 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ That's kind of how I see it, as well. Sales are ultimately the deciding factor in EVERY comic book venture.

However, that brings up another question: The Circle of Eternity are seemingly the most powerful entities in DC, short of God himself... They apparently want reality set back to the way it was before Pandora's tampering... They aren't going to just 'stop' wanting this. So unless the CoE are beaten outright (which is possible, I suppose, just very unlikely) I'm curious how their will/power will be thwarted, in order to postpone the reversion(if that is, indeed, what happens)..?

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:14 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

This is what might happen, Galan. Once Action and Detective reach 1000 issue, they will return to the regular DCU, with some of DCnU still intact. Sort of like AOA from Marvel. That won't be for some years, though.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:17 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

DC has had like 4 large-scale Crises since '86 (3 of them occurred in a 5 year span.) Something will happen soon enough.

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 5th, 2012 at 08:26 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:21 PM
Senor Cage

Yeah, it's called Trinity War. stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:25 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

as long as the good reviews keep coming in they will keep it.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:27 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
as long as the good reviews keep coming in they will keep it.

Well, reviews tend to be pretty mixed, separate from sales numbers.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:31 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

DCnU certainly has more critically acclaimed books then they did before. Sales are up as is interest, so they won't change so soon. I predict once Action hits 1000, something big will happen.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:32 PM
BlackZero30x
Jack

Originally posted by Galan007
DC has had like 4 large-scale Crises since '86 (3 of them occurred in a 5 year span.) Something will happen soon enough.

I think this is a problem that was building itself in a way. Crisis's are becoming the only way to truly show the heroes being put to the test. I mean simple story arcs can challenge a hero but not on the scale that a crisis can. These big events actually put more then the world at risk most of the time and it can bring in more diversity to the story via more heroes and villains in a single story. That being said Green Lantern has been a very solid book for the last few years imo. The Sinestro Crops War was a great story and it was a pretty big arc but Blackest Night encompassed the entire DCU and threatened the lives of everyone. I think its either hard for the writers to write a single story arc that makes the reader feel the intensity that a crisis would or it's just laziness.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Sep 5th, 2012 08:42 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

They will probably do a major crisis soon, if it doesn't work then they will bring back the New52.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 06:46 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Golgo13
DCnU certainly has more critically acclaimed books then they did before.
Critically acclaimed by you, maybe.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 02:51 PM
Cogito

At first I was annoyed. I didn't like a lot of the changes that happened, the trainwrecked continuity, etc.

Then there was some creativity. Some neglected characters (e.g. Aquaman) were brilliantly revived, and some new characters were added that I enjoy (e.g. Batwing).

But then, that boost started to wear off. Too much creativity is being lost in the process (e.g. Morrison), too many characters are falling beyond redemption (e.g. Firestorm(s), JSA), and some of the mystery was lost (e.g. Phantom Stranger origin story). Overall it feels like there was a lot of thought put into the first story arc for a lot of titles -- but now that we're past that, the intensity and the energy is lost and I find myself waiting for the next big thing (Trinity War) rather than waiting impatiently for the next issue as I was before.

So, IMO DC should go back following Trinity War. It was an interesting experiment that doesn't have staying power.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 03:01 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That is an excellent analysis-- one that mirrors my own views to the 't'.

Even comics that I used to eagerly await each month, such as Action and I Vampire, have become progressively more stale as the series' have continued-- simply put: they're overproduced. Tbh, the only comic I have enjoyed on a consistent basis is Captain Atom(which, ironically enough, will be cancelled shortly.) I recently got into Aquaman as well, and it is definitely a good read, but it is something I could do without if push came to shove... And as you mentioned, it seems like the New 52's failures are beginning to overshadow many of its staples--what they did to Firestorm and the JSA lineup, for instance, borders on unforgivable. On top of that, the Superman and JLA books have been cheese for a while now.

That being said, reverting back to the pre-Flashpoint era would be a good thing, I think. Johns had his fun, but now it's time for other writers to enter the fray-- Johns' ideas, much like the New 52 itself, are getting more and more stale with each passing month, imo. Even if DC wants to keep the New 52 around AND bring back the old DCU, it'd be easy enough to make it an alternate universe.

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 6th, 2012 at 03:33 PM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 03:30 PM
Cogito

Originally posted by Galan007
Even if DC wants to keep the New 52 around AND bring back the old DCU, it'd be easy enough to make it an alternate universe.

thumb up

Much like Marvel's Ultimate Universe

'Be.'

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 03:45 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I would ask what do you guys miss so much about the Pre-Flashpoint character's that they couldn't put into the new 52 story arcs?

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 05:43 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I miss the characters themselves, personally. Booster Gold, Swamp Thing, Firestorm, Alan Scott, Blue Beetle, etc. These all used to be some of my favs... Now they've been entirely ruined by horrible ideas/stories, imo.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 06:18 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

That sucks

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 06:22 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

thumb up

And the whole "learning to be superheroes" and "gaining the respect of the world" thing is something we've seen a hundred times and gets old fast.

'Be.'

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 06:23 PM