KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » The New 52... Will it last?

The New 52... Will it last?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Critically acclaimed by you, maybe.

Nah, DC has better books before the relaunch. Before the relanch a lot of the books I liked were getting poor reviews and becoming stale. Before the relaunch, Swamp Thing didn't really matter, Animal Man didn't really matter, an obscure character like Andrew didn't really matter, etc... Swamp Thing sales and Animal Man are holding solid sales and Animal Man got the #2 position in CBR's top 100 books. I Vampire might not be getting as good of sales, but it has good reviews.

People who are wishing it will go back, stop right now. It's not. Sales are up and that's the ONLY thing that matters to a business.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 06:39 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Golgo13
Nah, DC has better books before the relaunch.
I agree. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 08:20 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

One day, Galan. One day.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2012 08:25 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rewmac
{--Classic Member--}

I enjoy the restart so far, but it bugs me too much that it's too different. I mean for years we had the original with the characters having their lives for example Superman. I enjoy it that he is all new now, but it's too new. DC wasn't remade like this ever, not even in the original Crisis. I hope it gets interesting, but I feel it's going to be set back to the original after some time which is a shame.

I agree. thumb up
That I can agree with, but they were chaotic due to the events since 2006.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2012 12:58 PM
Rewmac is currently offline Click here to Send Rewmac a Private Message Find more posts by Rewmac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Rewmac
I enjoy the restart so far, but it bugs me too much that it's too different. I mean for years we had the original with the characters having their lives for example Superman. I enjoy it that he is all new now, but it's too new. DC wasn't remade like this ever, not even in the original Crisis. I hope it gets interesting, but I feel it's going to be set back to the original after some time which is a shame.

That I can agree with, but they were chaotic due to the events since 2006.
Good to see you posting again.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Sep 14th, 2012 07:43 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I miss the characters themselves, personally. Booster Gold, Swamp Thing, Firestorm, Alan Scott, Blue Beetle, etc. These all used to be some of my favs... Now they've been entirely ruined by horrible ideas/stories, imo.

^ this. Add most of Wildstorm to my list. I suppose Ellis spoiled me with early Wildstorm, but the tone of the characters and stories is nowhere near the same. I keep poking my head back into DC books to see what's up, and coming away disappointed. Like, I don't give a **** if Animal Man is brilliant, or I, Dracula produces instant boners or whatever. The titles I followed are, largely, turned to crap. I still don't want to think about what's being done with the JSA, for example. I don't stay away on principle if I enjoy the books again (he says, looking at anyone still boycotting OMD), but I don't enjoy them.

Though I'm somewhat mad at you for getting my hopes up with this thread. Without really knowing the story behind it, I can't imagine them going back this quickly after committing so fully to this. Especially if the reports of increased sales continue to be true.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 14th, 2012 at 08:26 PM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2012 08:19 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think a middle-ground needs to be found. Some reboots have worked, while some have been straight up shite. If they could marry the two, I could see it being good.

In general, I think the reboot was a good thing, even if when I first heard about it I thought it was flat-out retarded. DC just needs to rein in a couple of it's more stupid ideas.

And to fire Robinson.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2012 08:24 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Both the pre and post Flashpoint DCU have the strengths and weaknesses.

The sad part is that the DCnU had major potential, and it either turned out to be shitty from the start (Firestorm, Earth 2, Legion of Super-Heroes etc.) or are about to get shitty (Grant Morrison leaving the Superman line, cancelling the likes of Captain Atom which eventough I don't love as much as Galan does, is above the line's average). At least with the line beforehand, you know you were neck-deep in shittiness, but it's annoying to have your hopes up and then have them crushed, as it is now.

On the whole, though, I'd say:

Batman line is weaker than the Batman R.I.P/Batman & Robin era, but stronger than the Batman INC. one (mostly due to the ridiculous delays which killed all momentum).
The Superman line is much better, but only because Grant Morrison is on it, for the time being.
Wonder Woman is much better.
Green Lantern is basically the same, with a major event coming soon.
Flash is a bit weaker, but that's also due to the writer not having as much 'pull' as Johns did, who connected his run to the Universe-altering Flashpoint by having Professor Zoom, which was intriguing.
Aquaman is much better, obviously.
Justice League is much better (including the auxiliary titles)
Teen Titans are worse.
JSA are much worse than in the Geoff Johns era, but, well, after Johns left they were shitty, too.

Then we have Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Stormwatch, Captain Atom and more, which are welcomed new additions in the quality area.

Other characters though, like Firestorm, are just being butchered.

Overall, I'd say the new DCU is in better shape, definitely.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Sep 14th, 2012 08:47 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Digi
^ this. Add most of Wildstorm to my list. I suppose Ellis spoiled me with early Wildstorm, but the tone of the characters and stories is nowhere near the same. I keep poking my head back into DC books to see what's up, and coming away disappointed. Like, I don't give a **** if Animal Man is brilliant, or I, Dracula produces instant boners or whatever. The titles I followed are, largely, turned to crap. I still don't want to think about what's being done with the JSA, for example. I don't stay away on principle if I enjoy the books again (he says, looking at anyone still boycotting OMD), but I don't enjoy them.

Though I'm somewhat mad at you for getting my hopes up with this thread. Without really knowing the story behind it, I can't imagine them going back this quickly after committing so fully to this. Especially if the reports of increased sales continue to be true.
Agreed. After Morrison leaves Action, and Captain Atom is cancelled, there will really be nothing I'll follow consistently in DC. There are a few other books I used to thoroughly enjoy(ie. I Vampire) but they've just gotten stale for me.

I've heard the Bat-books are good, but I don't give a phuck about Batman(and co.) so that doesn't interest me. New Guardians, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Demon Knights are also pretty good on average, but I could go without reading them and be just fine.

Dunno, I went into this with an open mind, but have been left wanting more-- but like you said, as long as sales are up, they won't be reverting back.

Originally posted by Philosophía
Really? I thought the final volume of JLA(just before the revamp) was really good. There were some shitty stories in there, but I thought it was a great series as a whole. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2012 10:46 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Are they going back? Nah, not with these sales reports:

quote:
The comics shop market is on pace for at least a $470 million year, and at $308 million currently, the industry is only $105 million away from beating last year’s $413 million end-of-year total, and is expected to surpass it in early November.

Suck it! stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 15th, 2012 01:36 AM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Both the pre and post Flashpoint DCU have the strengths and weaknesses.

The sad part is that the DCnU had major potential, and it either turned out to be shitty from the start (Firestorm, Earth 2, Legion of Super-Heroes etc.) or are about to get shitty (Grant Morrison leaving the Superman line, cancelling the likes of Captain Atom which eventough I don't love as much as Galan does, is above the line's average). At least with the line beforehand, you know you were neck-deep in shittiness, but it's annoying to have your hopes up and then have them crushed, as it is now.

On the whole, though, I'd say:

Batman line is weaker than the Batman R.I.P/Batman & Robin era, but stronger than the Batman INC. one (mostly due to the ridiculous delays which killed all momentum).
The Superman line is much better, but only because Grant Morrison is on it, for the time being.
Wonder Woman is much better.
Green Lantern is basically the same, with a major event coming soon.
Flash is a bit weaker, but that's also due to the writer not having as much 'pull' as Johns did, who connected his run to the Universe-altering Flashpoint by having Professor Zoom, which was intriguing.
Aquaman is much better, obviously.
Teen Titans are worse.
JSA are much worse than in the Geoff Johns era, but, well, after Johns left they were shitty, too.

Then we have Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Stormwatch, Captain Atom and more, which are welcomed new additions in the quality area.

Other characters though, like Firestorm, are just being butchered.

Overall, I'd say the new DCU is in better shape, definitely.
The Batman line is probably weaker than RIP, but it still rides high in quality, and pretty much always has. It's DCs most consistent line over the last 30 years. They usually pair high end artist and writers on his titles.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Sep 15th, 2012 11:09 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

JSA was Johns' best work, so it's a tough act to follow. But the next guy was NOT comparable to what's going on right now. Jay, if he can still be called the same character, is a lazy teenager who's into parkour.

no expression

I'll go ahead and agree to your strengths/weaknesses overall point, but my personal interests took a gigantic hit.

Are they going back? Nah, not with these sales reports:

Suck it! stick out tongue

Be fair. That's total comic sales, not DC alone. Given the popularity of the movies (Batman, Avengers, etc.), I'd expect some small growth. Hitting last year's mark in early November translates to maybe a 12-17% hike in overall sales. Good, but not earth shattering.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 03:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I still like the Batman line. Batman Inc, Batman, BOP, Red Hood, and Talon looks promising.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 06:06 AM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Digi
JSA was Johns' best work, so it's a tough act to follow. But the next guy was NOT comparable to what's going on right now. Jay, if he can still be called the same character, is a lazy teenager who's into parkour.

no expression

I'll go ahead and agree to your strengths/weaknesses overall point, but my personal interests took a gigantic hit.

Be fair. That's total comic sales, not DC alone. Given the popularity of the movies (Batman, Avengers, etc.), I'd expect some small growth. Hitting last year's mark in early November translates to maybe a 12-17% hike in overall sales. Good, but not earth shattering.

Never said it was all DC. However it does point out that sales are up through the comic medium. Was up before the movies hit the theaters.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 06:15 AM
Q99

One thing I'm hoping for: Bringing the old DCU back and making it a 616/Ultimates situation.

Don't *get rid* of either of them.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 12:35 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Never said it was all DC.

Then how is it relevant to the "are DC sales up?" discussion?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 04:39 PM
Senor Cage

huh?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 06:35 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Q99
One thing I'm hoping for: Bringing the old DCU back and making it a 616/Ultimates situation.

Don't *get rid* of either of them.

Could happen and I wouldn't be mad, either. One thing I do miss is regular Superman. I also miss some of WS characters as well. Majestic, for instance. However, how would you split the books? Between Earth 2, DCnU, and regular DCU?

BTW, as DC keeps on pumping out new waves and mini series (#1 issues), it's pretty clear they won't change anytime soon.

Last edited by Senor Cage on Sep 16th, 2012 at 06:40 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2012 06:36 PM
Cogito

Could happen and I wouldn't be mad, either. One thing I do miss is regular Superman. I also miss some of WS characters as well. Majestic, for instance. However, how would you split the books? Between Earth 2, DCnU, and regular DCU?

Make Earth 2 blow up

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 12:54 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Regular Superman has been largey shit since 2008. I miss him when he was great, but he hasn't been great since Johns and Busiek were regular writers on the books.

I'll keep DCNU Superman for now, given the choice.

TBH I think that the reboot has been largely a success. The only issues I really have with characters are the lack of some that I like, a shitty Green Arrow, and the JSA. Otherwise I'm generally happy.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 03:17 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote