KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » The New 52... Will it last?

The New 52... Will it last?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Regular Superman has been largely shit since 2008. I miss him when he was great, but he hasn't been great since Johns and Busiek were regular writers on the books.
Really? Like most series' Action had it's weak points, but I thought it was still pretty good as a whole, post-'08. I also thought the post-'08 issues of Superman(v3) were well done... And Superman/Batman was one of my favorite series' in the pre-Flashpoint era, from start to finish. I also quite enjoyed the team-books Supes was in (JLA, for instance.) /shrug

Superman may not have been *as* good the last few years(though it's arguable, imo), but I definitely wouldn't say he was shit.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 17th, 2012 at 03:49 PM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 03:47 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Galan007
Really? Like most series' Action had it's weak points, but I thought it was still pretty good as a whole, post-'08. I also thought the post-'08 issues of Superman(v3) were well done... And Superman/Batman was one of my favorite series' in the pre-Flashpoint era, from start to finish. I also quite enjoyed the team-books Supes was in (JLA, for instance.) /shrug

Superman may not have been *as* good the last few years(though it's arguable, imo), but I definitely wouldn't say he was shit.

Once Robinson came on board, Superman was terrible. It started out as barely average, and just descended in to mediocrity.

Him in McDuffie's JLA was bad too, sadly.

At least, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 03:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

To each his own.

But I actually thought McDuffie's stint on JLA was pretty well done, tbh. Every character (including Firestorm, which was rare) got their just desserts while he was writing the series... And he also reintroduced Milestone Comics back into the mainstream DCU, which was awesome.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:03 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

To each his own.

But I actually thought McDuffie's stint on JLA was pretty well done, tbh. Every character (including Firestorm, which was rare) got their just desserts while he was writing the series... And he also reintroduced Milestone Comics back into the mainstream DCU, which was awesome.

You think Superman getting worf-effected in almost every fight is the same as getting his just-desserts? stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:14 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Yeah, I will say that McDuffie seemed to enjoy using Supes as the initial 'villain-benchmark'. Many times he'd have a baddie show up and own Superman, which swiftly solidified said baddie's uberness. But usually Supes would get back in the game and either own the baddie solo, or assist in owning him/it, swiftly thereafter.

Lot of good stories in his run, though, so it's hard for me to hate on it. stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:24 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

^ Yeah, I will say that McDuffie seemed to enjoy using Supes as the initial 'villain-benchmark'. Many times he'd have a baddie show up and own Superman, which swiftly solidified said baddie's uberness. But usually Supes would get back in the game and either own the baddie solo, or assist in owning him/it, swiftly thereafter.

Lot of good stories in his run, though, so it's hard for me to hate on it. stick out tongue

When did Superman own villains by himself?

Bar the moon thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:45 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

After briefly skimming through McDuffie's run again, you're right, most of Superman's victories were shared with the rest of the JLA-- but it's a team-book, so that's to be expected... The moon thing happened in Superman/Batman, iirc.

But on that note, who beat Superman in McDuffie's run that shouldn't have been able to?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:54 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

After briefly skimming through McDuffie's run again, you're right, most of Superman's victories were shared with the rest of the JLA-- but it's a team-book, so that's to be expected... The moon thing happened in Superman/Batman, iirc.

But on that note, who beat Superman in McDuffie's run that shouldn't have been able to?

Wonder Woman fans, McDuffie's pettiness about speed.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:56 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

In JLA? Not following...

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:58 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

In JLA? Not following...

McDuffie was an open Wonder Woman fan, and the "Usain Bolt vs Bruce Lee" thing was purely done to piss off some people on the forum and show them he was right.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 04:59 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

laughing out loud

u so picky. stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 05:03 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

laughing out loud

u so picky. stick out tongue

stick out tongue

Sorry, the shadow moon thing was JLA, as it was during the arc with the Milestone folks.

Also, Kimiyo Hoshi's characterisation, and Flash's "we're gonna **** you" line too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 05:05 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by -Pr-
Sorry, the shadow moon thing was JLA, as it was during the arc with the Milestone folks.
You're right. JLA #30, to be exact. Regardless, I never thought of it as a poor showing for Supes, tbh.

The Dark Moon had 81 billion tons worth of mass. It was traveling 7,614,000km/hr. Supes flew into it moving just short of light speed, and was only momentarily KO'd, but otherwise none the worse for wear (he wasn't even scratched, and John's scans confirmed he was a-okay immediately afterward.) Had the Moon not have been moving at incredible speeds when Supes flew into it, I would have agreed that it was a poor showing-- but all things considered, it wasn't that bad, imo.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 05:27 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

For me that was the one -almost- highlight of the McDuffie run Superman wise.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 05:38 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Aside from what I mentioned above, the scene also showed us that Superman can, and has, traveled FTL-- it showed us that he can easily do so, in fact.

Don't think it was a bad showing, all things considered... But the hate is strong with you. stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 05:47 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Aside from what I mentioned above, the scene also showed us that Superman can, and has, traveled FTL-- it showed us that he can easily do so, in fact.

Don't think it was a bad showing, all things considered... But the hate is strong with you. stick out tongue

I can't help hating bad writing, what can I say...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 06:00 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I just checked out all of the instances where Supes was 'owned' during McDuffie's stint on JLA, and I honestly can't find anything illogical/stupid about any of them... Amazo, Starbreaker, Lex /w/ Kryptonite, etc.-- these are all characters who, given the chance, should be able to get the better of Supes. Don't really see the problem with it, tbh, but like I said: to each his own. If you think it was "bad", then that is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

I'm not a McDuffie fan by any means, but I thought his JLA issues were pretty good as a whole. It's a team book, and if take all of the issues into account, I wouldn't say that Superman was treated any worse than the rest of the Leaguers on average. What I will say is that Superman didn't attain too many high-end feats during McDuffie's run-- while some Leaguers did ('Duff did great things for Firestorm, for instance.).

Old Post Sep 17th, 2012 06:18 PM
Senor Cage

Galan might be on to something. Just read some of Newsaram's article on the whole Pandora thing.

quote:
And it's hard to forget that Pandora affected the creation of the New 52 universe last year. Could this "great power" within the box — combined with her vengeful heart — allow Pandora to undo the New 52 universe and put things back the way they were?

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 06:23 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

What a waste...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 06:57 PM
Senor Cage

Nobody ever said it was going to go back, but I think they put that option there for when they do it. More than likely it won't be for a long time. Seeing as they have more plans for the DCnU.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2012 07:03 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote