KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 100 101 [102] 103 104 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hmm, 200 dollars does sound tempting..

My TV isn't exactly stellar, though. Half the reason I bought it was so I can enjoy retro gaming and last gen gaming, without needing expensive hardware (PS2 looks fine, plays fine, the 360 looks fine, plays fine.)

So, what are the games that make an Xbox One S again?

Top ten list me, please.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2018 11:24 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Agreed, a PS5 with no backwards compatibility with at least the PS4 would be really bad. I have trouble imagining them doing that, though, but then again I wouldn't have guessed MS would come out of the gate as badly as they did with the initial ideas for Xbox One so who knows.

I too think MS will release another revision that is more powerful in 2 or 3 years. It does make sense, but you know, the fanfare for a "new" gen console is something to consider. A new revision of the Xbox One wouldn't really have that.

And really both Sony and MS are offering the same choice. With MS it's the S or the X, with Sony it's the Slim or the Pro. I guess it just depends on if there really needs to be a refresh or not. This gen it made some sense for both of them to do that to take advantage of 4k started to get adopted in the middle of the console gen. That won't always be the case, though.

The only problem is the Pro is not nearly has powerful as the X. I wouldn't compare them.

The X is like getting a more powerful PC and having games look and run better. It might not be the case anymore but I have heard PS4 Pro can sometime make games run worst because it's not powerful enough for developers to increase the graphics slider from High to Ultra. The X can do that.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 12:41 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hardware limitation problems now.. That is NOT good.

Forget the list, I'll stick with my 360 and PS2 backlog..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 01:08 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Smasandian
The only problem is the Pro is not nearly has powerful as the X. I wouldn't compare them.

The X is like getting a more powerful PC and having games look and run better. It might not be the case anymore but I have heard PS4 Pro can sometime make games run worst because it's not powerful enough for developers to increase the graphics slider from High to Ultra. The X can do that.

Sure, but the Pro more powerful than the standard PS4 by a big margin. It's something like 2.5 times as powerful. The X and the Pro should definitely be compared, they're directly competing with eachother. The Pro and the X are both the expensive 4k option for their particular console. They aren't identical, the Pro isn't as powerful but it's also $100 cheaper. Even still they both fill the same niche.

I do remember reading about some segments of some games on the Pro running worse than normal PS4, I don't believe that's really the case anymore because the devs have learned a few tricks to increase the graphical fidelity, particularly the resolution without having too big an impact on performance. The checkerboard rendering some devs use seems to work really well. Trying Horizon Zero Dawn and Witcher 3 on the pro, they both look incredible and both use the checkerboard rendering, they look crisp and sharp but both also run noticeably better than on the standard PS4. I think that was just growing pains with the PS4 Pro.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 02:16 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I guess. If graphics were the thing, I don't see a reason to ever own an PS4 Pro over an Xbox One X.

Obviously, whatever games people like would determine the system they buy.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 04:46 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by cdtm
Hardware limitation problems now.. That is NOT good.

Forget the list, I'll stick with my 360 and PS2 backlog..

Every console has hardware limitations. It's developers either a. pushing the limits or b. terrible coders.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 04:50 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Every console has hardware limitations. It's developers either a. pushing the limits or b. terrible coders.

Not this early though.

The whole point of getting a console is not having to worry about hardware issues. It's usually only near the end of a gen that the hardware is pushed to its limits, and you get games like Shadow of Colossus or God of War II..

If they're pushing limits on purpose to entice people to buy an upgrade for a smoother experience, I'd call that shady business practices.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 01:02 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Not really.

We are in the 5th year of this generation. That's usually on par with every generation aside from the last. There was a 6 year gap between PS2 and PS3. A 5 year gap between Xbox and Xbox 360.

And you making it sound like previous generations didn't have hardware limitations. Go back and play Mass Effect and the framerate issues that it had. It's almost unplayable. The difference is that people are more aware of framerate issues this generation. Every generation has good performing games and shitty performing games and this one is not any different.

Look at Forza 7 at 4k....it's one the best looking games out there and it runs at 60FPS without any slowdown. But that's because its a racer. Origins runs at 4k at 30FPS and slowsdown in cities occasionally. But.....that's because it's open world and has hundreds of NPC's and animals roaming around.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 02:34 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Also keep in mind that this generation of consoles were built with ease of development in mind. No Cell processors or anything like that, just basic PC architecture that dev teams are already pretty familiar with. So it makes sense that these consoles would be maxed out earlier than other gens.

Also if Horizon Zero Dawn or Uncharted 4 is the PS4 "maxed out" then I'm fine with that. Both those games look amazing on base ps4 or ps4 pro.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 10:41 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Absolutely. Witcher 3 looks fantastic on the X.

It's funny when the last few years, people have been saying this generation is garbage in terms of graphics but if you play a game like Resident Evil 5, the comparisons are not even close.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 01:24 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's funny when the last few years, people have been saying this generation is garbage in terms of graphics but if you play a game like Resident Evil 5, the comparisons are not even close.

While I agree, graphics kind of lose their pizazz fast.

And if I cared about them, my favorite games wouldn't all be in Dosbox. 4d boxing is amazing.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 01:59 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

How are the Xbox One controllers on batteries?

In my experience, the 360 was always losing contact. Battery packs somewhat fixed that, but over time those heavy things gradually loosened the holder so badly they'd randomly lose contact, or even pop out.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 08:13 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Lol, Resident Evil 5 has amazing graphics to be almost ten years old.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 08:45 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Agreed. RE5 looks just fine, even by modern standards.

Maybe not the best, but not exactly the degredation 10 years used to bring.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 08:50 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

No it doesn't. It's not a bad looking 360 game but it's far from anything in this generation.

The texture difference is very noticeable and the lack of visual effects outdates RE5.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 09:17 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

This generation didn't make that big of a jump as you are implying. At least not quite at the same level of past generations, costs of production skyrocketed too high for that.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 10:46 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pfft, that's marketing talk. Like the 720p/1080p debates back in the day.

On average, most console gamers would be just fine with something like RE5. Just like Persona 4 and God of War 2 looked just fine by last gen standards.

Which they did. I can play both games today, and they won't hurt the eyes.

Last edited by cdtm on Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:58 PM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 10:55 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
This generation didn't make that big of a jump as you are implying. At least not quite at the same level of past generations, costs of production skyrocketed too high for that.

Did I imply that it was on par with the generation jump from 480 to 720/1080? No, I didn't.

But a game like Witcher 3 would never be possible on last gen systems. Compare Witcher 3 to Resident Evil 5 and it's not even close.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2018 11:13 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sure, in terms of stuff on the screen. Current gen is obviously capable of more of everything.

Most current gen games also aren't Witcher 3. That's like saying Uncharted 2 is a representation of last gen, when it's far from the average.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:56 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Interesting ideas imo. I find Jim's argument far more convincing than Extra Credits'.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2018 09:31 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote