KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 105 106 [107] 108 109 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The thing I took away from it is that they're trying really hard to make sure that there's less to do on the dev side, and that with them being able to add more complex models with less resources being used than before, the hope is that we can see a ****ton more shit on screen happening at the same time.

That's the hope anyway.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 14th, 2020 12:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Are they talking about ray tracing?

If next gen consoles can do that, that would be really impressive.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 14th, 2020 12:07 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Are they talking about ray tracing?

If next gen consoles can do that, that would be really impressive.

Not exactly.

Here's an example:

In Avengers Infinity War, they built three different CGI models for Thanos. The super high-detailed one for close shots, the decently detailed one for mid-shots, and the not-so detailed one for wide shots.

With Unreal 5, they're claiming you only have to make one for your game. You drop the super-details one in, and Unreal 5 scales it down as needed automatically.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 14th, 2020 12:27 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So the selling point is streamlining development times?

I guess less of a wait between games is a good thing, if they make good games.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 14th, 2020 12:32 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Also, should make things cheaper. The main problem with AAA games is they are super expensive nowadays and publishers/developers might be less willing to take risks...but if this can allow cheaper development, we could see more risky triple AAA titles.

Xbox Series X has hardware ray tracing. I have to assume PS5 does as well.

I know people had the same criticisms regarding this generation compared to PS3/360 but if you go back and play an older open world game and compare it this generation...it's not even close.

Old Post May 14th, 2020 12:50 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Maybe.

Development costs are a factor, but the big sticking point seems to be every game has to make FIFA loot box level profits.

Companies are shortsighted and greedier now then they used to be.

Last edited by cdtm on May 14th, 2020 at 01:19 PM

Old Post May 14th, 2020 01:17 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would agree that has happened a few times in the past few years.

I think it was Deus Ex games, Tomb Raider games and RE7. There was another game that I really enjoyed and sold 5Mish copies but never had a sequel because it didnt mean expectations. For some reason I can't think of it.

Old Post May 14th, 2020 02:01 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah, cheaper and less development time is excellent. They also said that games made in UE4 can be ported over easily to UE5 to take advantage of the better tech.

So games in development in the near future should (hopefully) see less of a disconnect between what gets promised and what gets delivered.

Or it'll just get worse somehow.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 14th, 2020 03:14 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hmm, I never had a problem with graphic promises and what was delivered after released.

As long as the developer/publisher clearly show what the released version of the game looks like..then it's fine.

EDIT: I do agree that publishers/developers should be as open as possible and maybe not release an teaser footage to early but people should figure out what a game looks like when it's released. I find it strange that people go "oh it doesn't look like a gameplay video from 3 years ago..." but still buy it....just don't buy it.

Last edited by Smasandian on May 14th, 2020 at 03:36 PM

Old Post May 14th, 2020 03:30 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I mean stuff like The Division and Watch Dogs. I don't mind things changing over dev cycles (like with FF7R for example), but don't promise me steak and then hand me a hamburger.

And I say this as someone who, after really diving deep in Watch Dogs, actually enjoyed it. I just feel sorry that it suffered because of Ubisoft's dickery.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 14th, 2020 04:37 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I get it for sure.

But didn't you know what the Division looked like when it was released? As long as the dev released a good amount of real-time gameplay footage...it's kind of up to the consumer to figure out if this is what they want or not.

Sounds like I'm saying a company can't be criticized...they certainly can.

Which is strange because Division 2 looks ****ing fantastic.

EDIT: I do agree that DEVS should be as open as possible and when releasing teaser footage for a release years down the road, it should be clearly stated its just concepts and will not look like final footage.

Old Post May 14th, 2020 04:55 PM
cdtm

Friend pressuring me to get Game Pass for a buck.

I refuse on principle. Because it's a buck where it should be free.

With all other services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, even the WWE Network, you get your first month free. MS has the audacity to charge you for the privilege of test driving their service.

No thanks MS.

Old Post May 26th, 2020 09:47 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

You get a 14 day free trial.

I get you refusing on principle but that's a shit load of games for $1.

Old Post May 26th, 2020 11:17 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

So the new standard price for next gen games should be $70 at least in 2K's opinion with the NBA game they're porting.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/2/21...pecial-editions

I don't like what this can potentially start. In a world of microtransactions, loot boxes, "special editions" and Konami, the standard price should not be messed with.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2020 10:40 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That is bullshit.

Even EA is utilizing Microsoft's Smart Delivery service for Madden...2K is charging an extra 30 bucks to people if they want the upgraded version.

This is basically what occurred when 360/PS3 was released.
What is even worst is NBA 2K games are filled with microtransactions.

Considering Microsoft is allow third party publishers to use Smart Delivery (where if you buy the current gen game...you get the upgrade version for free), this is lame (I am not sure if Sony has something similar)

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2020 01:26 PM
cdtm

Decided the 360 is my last console.

quote:
The "Pro" business with MS and Sony. I keep thinking, what if I bought in early and had an original Xbox One or PS4? And then the Pro's come out, and the becomes the new standard.

Its a slap on the face to early adapters. I mean, I spent 600 dollars on something that became obsolete in a few years, and the only way to get the "true experience" is by shelling out another 600.

**** that.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2020 01:29 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Good for you.

What your talking about is complete crap. PC gaming has been doing multiple different graphic settings without issues for years..this is no different.

You can easily play a Xbox One/PS4 without needing the pro version and have a good time. I'm positive I have seen you spout off that graphics are not important.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2020 09:29 PM
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Good for you.

What your talking about is complete crap. PC gaming has been doing multiple different graphic settings without issues for years..this is no different.

You can easily play a Xbox One/PS4 without needing the pro version and have a good time. I'm positive I have seen you spout off that graphics are not important.

Graphics aren't important. Framerate is.

And I've been playing on budget laptops, and my first Borderlands 2 experience required me to disable the textures, shadows, just about everything. And it was still a fun experience.

Incremental purchases are nickling and diming consumers, period. This is true when game company's release episodic content, or "day one dlc", and its equally true when hardware is obsolete after only a few years.

I'm a cheap ass bastard and proud of it. I don't reward obviously predatory consumer tactics. If I spend big, I do it because the value offered is top notch, or because I want to support someone I respect.

I had enough of that nickle and dime shit in the 90's comic book "boom", and have never forgiven the industry for it, nor sank a dime into their trash.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2020 10:39 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I don't necessarily agree about the "pro" thing. Not completely anyway. I agree that they shouldn't be the new standard, but I don't think it's a slap in the face at all to bring out a better machine that can run the same games at higher framerates or better resolutions.

Part of being an early adopter is that you get to have it before everyone else. You have the choice to be one of the first to get the new system, the new game etc before most people, or you can wait.

==

Up until this week, it looked like the PS5 and XBSX were going to be trendsetters when it came to tech... only to be denied so, so harshly by Nvidia's new cards. ****ing monstrous, they are.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 6th, 2020 12:05 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I didn’t really have an issue with the pro or the OneX coming out. It’s not like they were required to play certain games. They just offered an improved experience for those who wanted to spend extra money.

And it was possible to upgrade for relatively cheap if you were patient. I upgraded from a launch ps4 to a PS4 pro for around $150 because i took advantage of a trade in deal at GameStop.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2020 01:22 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote