KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
whats your rig?

windows 7 64 bit

intel core I7 960 processor

evga gtx 680 graphics card (currently the planet's most powerful gaming graphics card)

evga ftw3 x58 mobo (i can go s.l.i. adding a second 680)

800 watt power supply(corsair)

18gb of ram (corsair)

180gb sd drive for the main drive (my pc loads in 15-20 seconds)

2 terabytes of space on second drive

all inside a coolermaster (H.A.F.-high air flow) tower with 6 fans, top, sides underneath, front, and back and optional water cooling abilities.

sony 3d blue ray drive. and a another dvd burner. with room/slots for 4 more drives.

creative audigy surround sound using optical wire. (sound through light)

i play all gameson ultra with no problems. save for metro 2033 but that's because of the games shitty optimisation. but the rest a sweet 60fps, all on a 1080p screen running at 120hz.

And this is a mid 2011 build. and nothing's even overclocked. and this is a mid-high system. and this build would destroy a ps4. now imagine a current build with 4 gtx 680's the latest, best I7 processor. that $1000 Intel chip. you're looking at a ps5. now imagine pc gaming tech when the new next gen systems come out a year from now ..

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 02:00 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

18GB RAM? Wouldn't it be 16?

Also, being as we have no idea what the PS4 will look like in terms of specs, we really can't know for sure where it'll be.

And 4 680s? Talk about overkill. SLI/Crossfire is barely worth it as it is because few games use it - just like there's no point going above a quadcore processor because very little actually threads things so that it's worth it. Just like there's not much reason to go above 8GB of RAM unless you do heavy video editing. 4 graphics cards would be good for doing multimonitors with like...4+ monitors, but that's about it. It's just be a waste of money.

Edit: How could that have been a mid-2011 build when the GTX 680 wasn't out then?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Last edited by Peach on Dec 1st, 2012 at 05:54 AM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 05:51 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Peach
18GB RAM? Wouldn't it be 16?

Also, being as we have no idea what the PS4 will look like in terms of specs, we really can't know for sure where it'll be.

And 4 680s? Talk about overkill. SLI/Crossfire is barely worth it as it is because few games use it - just like there's no point going above a quadcore processor because very little actually threads things so that it's worth it. Just like there's not much reason to go above 8GB of RAM unless you do heavy video editing. 4 graphics cards would be good for doing multimonitors with like...4+ monitors, but that's about it. It's just be a waste of money.

Edit: How could that have been a mid-2011 build when the GTX 680 wasn't out then?

spec-wise, yea there's no way the next gen consoles are gonna have a $500 graphics card, or it's matching power, inside their consoles. or a high to highest end processor a pc gamer could get. it'd be counterproductive financially. they'd end up selling their consoles for $1000+ if they did it that way. and there's no way consoles will come out with more than a terabyte of space on hdd's.

and my ftw mobo has 6 slots for ram. i have 3, 2gb sticks and 3, 4gb sticks in the slots. yea 18gb is way overkill but, just future proofing.

and my build started in mid '11 but i'd constantly upgrade from time to time. i purchased the 680 and 12 extra gigs of ram together about 2 months ago. before that i had 2 gtx 460's in sli and only 6 gigs of ram.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 07:56 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I have never really been sold on the Wii U, and today I got my first chance at playing it (Norways first ever Game Convention, yey!).

First Wii U game I played was Call of Duty: Black Ops. It was cool to have such good graphics available in my hand, but that was about that for this game, I did not feel that the controls worked well (I am too accustomed to having the two sticks closer to eachother, the wide space of the Wii U gamepad threw me off).

Next I got my hands on NintendoLand, first out me and a friend decided to play Luigis Mansion. We asked the rep who was there to join in to have more players, and we had a very fun first run. We got a few more people together and were now 5 players. Lots and lots of fun, loved being both the ghost and tracker. Next up: Mario Chase, pretty much the same, but without the chasee being able to attack the chasers. My friend lasted for 30 seconds, while I lasted for 2 min and 20 seconds, very close to the goal time. Finally we tried the Zelda thing, didn't like it much.

Finally I got to try the new Super Mario Wii U Bros New (yeah, I know thats not the correct position of the words, but blame Nintendo for such horrible titles). It was fun, for the actual players, being the guy with the gamepad was a bit boring, placing platforms around...

So all in all, I see some potential. Party games ala Luigis Mansion and Chase Mario definitely work fine, but I am still not sold on this being a gamers console.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 02:02 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneOfMortis
Restricted

Account Restricted

You can always opt to use gamepad if you think the controller doesn't work well with some genres.

Nintendo has always been a "gamers console", they are in the business of making games that are fun and changing the ways we can have fun, and even the wii which is worst nintendo console ever had best local multiplayer support out of all consoles and a lot of fun games for everyone. Just because it didnt have the best graphics or wasnt over staurated with fpss does not make it a non-gamers conspole.

refer to profile for my mma rankings

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 02:17 PM
TheOneOfMortis is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneOfMortis a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneOfMortis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
spec-wise, yea there's no way the next gen consoles are gonna have a $500 graphics card, or it's matching power, inside their consoles. or a high to highest end processor a pc gamer could get. it'd be counterproductive financially. they'd end up selling their consoles for $1000+ if they did it that way. and there's no way consoles will come out with more than a terabyte of space on hdd's.

and my ftw mobo has 6 slots for ram. i have 3, 2gb sticks and 3, 4gb sticks in the slots. yea 18gb is way overkill but, just future proofing.

and my build started in mid '11 but i'd constantly upgrade from time to time. i purchased the 680 and 12 extra gigs of ram together about 2 months ago. before that i had 2 gtx 460's in sli and only 6 gigs of ram.

Here's the thing you're forgetting - consoles sell at a huge loss for a long time and it usually takes years for components to become cheap enough that they can start making a profit on things. Instead the real profit is on the games and (especially) accessories. When the PS3 came out it cost about $900 to manufacture each system.

You also forget that PC parts have huge markup on them and what a consumer pays for them is not what it costs the company making them. Just because you'd pay $500 for something doesn't mean it costs $500 to produce - not even close.

Also, why the hell are you running your RAM in 3x combos? You should always do it dual-channel - matched sticks in set of two. Running it like you have it is just a waste as you won't be getting the performance out of it you could be - either remove one 2gb and one 4gb, or replace the 2gb sticks entirely with another 4gb. It would be a smaller amount but as it'd be dual-channel instead of single-channel it'd run better than what you have now.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 03:59 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Apparently the Wii U is the first console Nintendo are selling at a loss (at launch, anyway- I don't know where the 3DS price cut left it) for a long time- maybe ever.

However, it also apparently only takes one game sale before they are in the black on it, so it's still a very different strategy from the huge loss-leaders that Microsoft and Sony play with. I reckon it's only going at a loss at all because of the game pad cost.

Btw, I am impressed with the Wii U. The launch game line up is poor for my own tastes (just about everything I actually want has been delayed) but it is pretty slick.The gamepad works excellently (I found it surprisingly comfortable). Nintendo Land is a solid pack-in title, but obviously it's at its best for party situations. I got NSMBU not because I am a big Mario fan, but because I wanted to try at least one other title and it is also good for party gaming (remember the guy with the gamepad in that is the optional bonus player; up to four can play with the remotes with no gamepad needed). I was going to get Zombi U but I was not totally sold on the concept and middling reviews put me off, so now I am watiing for Scribblenauts to come out in the EU as well as Rayman Legends.

(Oh, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, for which I am a total sucker as its really just an upgrade of a game I already put 200 hours into, but it's a good looking one. I might even by the cross-compatible 3ds version at the same time and force friends to play it with me))

Games like Call of Duty etc... well, I'm not a big FPS fan anyway. But I don't really see the point of those sorts of games on the Wii U. I use a PC for my 'hardcore' (or whatever) gaming. I bought into the whole Wii thing because I could get something a bit different there.

I've also never been that interested in the hardcore hardware push. Games like Super Mario Galaxy (much as I got bored with it and utterly so with its sequel|) and Metroid Prime 3 proved that it's just down to getting the most out of what is there, not just lazily relying on horsepower. Not to mention the many sorts of games that don't actually need horsepower at all.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2012 at 06:25 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 06:16 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneOfMortis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Apparently the Wii U is the first console Nintendo are selling at a loss (at launch, anyway- I don't know where the 3DS price cut left it) for a long time- maybe ever.

However, it also apparently only takes one game sale before they are in the black on it, so it's still a very different strategy from the huge loss-leaders that Microsoft and Sony play with. I reckon it's only going at a loss at all because of the game pad cost.

Btw, I am impressed with the Wii U. The launch game line up is poor for my own tastes (just about everything I actually want has been delayed) but it is pretty slick.The gamepad works excellently (I found it surprisingly comfortable). Nintendo Land is a solid pack-in title, but obviously it's at its best for party situations. I got NSMBU not because I am a big Mario fan, but because I wanted to try at least one other title and it is also good for party gaming (remember the guy with the gamepad in that is the optional bonus player; up to four can play with the remotes with no gamepad needed). I was going to get Zombi U but I was not totally sold on the concept and middling reviews put me off, so now I am watiing for Scribblenauts to come out in the EU as well as Rayman Legends.

(Oh, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, for which I am a total sucker as its really just an upgrade of a game I already put 200 hours into, but it's a good looking one. I might even by the cross-compatible 3ds version at the same time and force friends to play it with me))

Games like Call of Duty etc... well, I'm not a big FPS fan anyway. But I don't really see the point of those sorts of games on the Wii U. I use a PC for my 'hardcore' (or whatever) gaming. I bought into the whole Wii thing because I could get something a bit different there.

I've also never been that interested in the hardcore hardware push. Games like Super Mario Galaxy (much as I got bored with it and utterly so with its sequel|) and Metroid Prime 3 proved that it's just down to getting the most out of what is there, not just lazily relying on horsepower. Not to mention the many sorts of games that don't actually need horsepower at all.

You should definitely look into Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition if you can, its a HD remake of the 3DS e-shop game, which was just as good if not better than the best retail games on the system (though obviously a lot shorter). Its a 2d puzzle-platformer.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2012 07:42 PM
TheOneOfMortis is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneOfMortis a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneOfMortis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Howdy!

Old Post Dec 10th, 2012 04:33 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Thanks for the review. I was wondering what "real" people thought about it as opposed to gaming sites. I hear from just one fella that got Black Ops II for the Wii U that FPS games feel like they were made for the Wii.

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/v...he-living-room/

Welp

Well...sounds like a console.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2012 04:38 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Eh?

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/3...uture-consoles/

If Nintendo's already planning that far ahead, makes me wonder how long the Wii U will actually last now. Was bad enough that they released it in a completely wrong time-frame (IMO) and delaying what was supposed to be its launch titles like Pikmin 3. At least Smash 4 news is confirmed for this E3 along with a couple other things but it'll need a lot more than that to sell well and make up for its horrible start, which surprisingly is even worse than the 3DS's beginning.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 07:51 AM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Nintendo announced a huge slew of popular awaited games last week to great press approval, and the Wii U is selling pretty well. You have no reason to worry.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 08:43 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I'm aware of the recent press stuff. My main concern though was them already discussing a future console and how that'll effect the Wii U, if it does.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 10:28 AM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ans your concern is unwarranted. In any case, they are a. only explaining why they are re-structuring their hardware division and b. as they are talking about a more integrated approach to handhelds and main consoles, remember that their next console would be a handheld one, not a main console, and it's not too early to be doing advance work on that.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 10:54 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I suppose. Well if it's another handheld that would make more sense.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 11:10 AM
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

PS4 looked decent. Still going to need to see Microsoft's response though.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 01:21 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Thought Sony's press conference was pretty good. They showed a lot more gameplay demos than I thought they were going to. Nothing mind blowing, but it genuinely seems like Sony is trying really hard to right the wrongs of the PS3; particularly ease of development for game developers which was a very significant knock against the PS3, and from what I've heard so far game developers seem to be sincerely excited about how easy it will be to make games.

Will have to see was MS has to say in the coming months.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 02:55 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

pc gaming forever. and ever. but still, i was delighted to see the ps4 finally seeing the light of day. no more sh*ty ports. i hope.

kinda wanted to see the physical console itself and if it supports 4k or not. and if it'll be backwards compatible or will they streamline the process via "the cloud" with older games. and the wand again, seriously. lol and bungie, seeing master chief there was the most "wtf?" moment of the conference.

killzone and watchdogs was the best part of the show. i just wanna see god of war 4, GTA5, tekken 7, mortal kombat, streetfighter 5 and good a super hero game or two on this like spiderman and superman on this.

i wish sony good luck.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 03:23 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

With these next consoles

i wonder if releasing incomplete games will continue.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 11:14 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by BackFire
Thought Sony's press conference was pretty good. They showed a lot more gameplay demos than I thought they were going to. Nothing mind blowing, but it genuinely seems like Sony is trying really hard to right the wrongs of the PS3; particularly ease of development for game developers which was a very significant knock against the PS3, and from what I've heard so far game developers seem to be sincerely excited about how easy it will be to make games.

Will have to see was MS has to say in the coming months.

Indeed. Actually, for all its poor start, Sony did sort the PS3 out eventually, and from the Slim onwards it was a very viable piece of kit- affordable and people knew how to make games for it. That's where they started with the PS2, so it's about time they planned a console from scratch on that basis again.

The new controller looks a bit gimmicky, but I like a bit of gimmick. In comparison, I'm worried about Microsoft throwing more weight behind the Kinect, which I really can't see having a long-term future.

As to whether Sony can get market dominance back... I doubt they'll ever have it on the scale the PS2 did; they blew that forever with the PS3 release coming at the same time as the Wii was riding on the broader idea of gaming. Maybe they'll win it; we have to see if Nintendo can cement something with the Wii U (as they have done with 3DS) and whether Microsoft can break into the Asian market.

I do wonder if this will be the last generation of traditional consoles though. I'd like to see a future where this is no real division between handheld and standard console. All computing should be that small; you just plug it (or wirelessly connect it) to a tv if you want to play it on a bigger screen. Nintendo's recent hardware department restructuring is a first step from them in that direction, though it's a long way off and Nintendo can be pretty slow sometimes- they've only really just got a handle on online gaming.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 11:38 AM