KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

The problem that Ush mentions is real though. While it could do what the Wii U controller does (as could Smartglass), developers won't give it nearly as much attention if any, if they can't be sure that everyone they target will have the device.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 09:52 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Ah, it had escaped my notice that the PS4 has no backwards compatability, there's a fact that Micro$oft can and should utilize.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 01:40 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

At least Smartglass is available on multiple device. You don't have buy another product to use the feature.

If no developers uses it, oh well, no harm done. It will only cost MS developer costs but at least they tried.

I'm a bit annoyed about not having backwards compatibility. I don't care if you can stream it because I have the damn discs beside me and I'm wasting valuable net usage.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 06:21 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The PS3 got burned, price-wise, on the backwards compatibility issue as it basically had to include much of a PS2 inside itself, a decision which they relatively soon reversed to lower costs. In comparison, the Wii was basically an upgraded Gamecube and hence could run GC games with ease. The Wii itself has been harder to emulate on the Wii U- requiring a separate boot (I am unsure if it also had to include any Wii hardware, but that stuff is cheap anyway)- but the tech is still similar enough to make it possible. It's Sony's habit of pushing the hardware envelope that is the issue. Each new PS is so radically different from the one before that it can't simply run the older games without great expense.

I can understand why backwards compatibility is not a built in feature after what happened before. But are they not offering any software emulation for older software? Maybe PS3 stuff is very hard to software emulate.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 06:32 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Oh I read somewhere that they will have some kind of emulation, but I think it was all cloud based or some such... yeah I don't remember...

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 06:43 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

You can probably thank the Cell for no PS3 backwards compatibility.

Howdy!

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 06:44 PM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The PS3 got burned, price-wise, on the backwards compatibility issue as it basically had to include much of a PS2 inside itself, a decision which they relatively soon reversed to lower costs. In comparison, the Wii was basically an upgraded Gamecube and hence could run GC games with ease. The Wii itself has been harder to emulate on the Wii U- requiring a separate boot (I am unsure if it also had to include any Wii hardware, but that stuff is cheap anyway)- but the tech is still similar enough to make it possible. It's Sony's habit of pushing the hardware envelope that is the issue. Each new PS is so radically different from the one before that it can't simply run the older games without great expense.

I can understand why backwards compatibility is not a built in feature after what happened before. But are they not offering any software emulation for older software? Maybe PS3 stuff is very hard to software emulate.

Probably is. I also wonder how important BC is to people over the long run of the console lifespan.

I would be more inclined to buy the PS4 right away if it natively played my PS3 games. I rather have one console instead of two laying around but I'm not going to buy a PS4 until a few years from now because I get the feeling that graphics won't be radically different for awhile.

And more and more games are being released on Steam.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 07:28 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
You can probably thank the Cell for no PS3 backwards compatibility.

Bingo.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 08:28 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Sales data as units sold for 7th Gen consoles (as of Feb 2013):

XBOX 360: ~76 million
PS3: ~77 million
Wii: ~99 million

I predict the same outcome will happen after the 8th Gen is over.
Nintendo will likely come on top again in per unit sold, but revenue will most likely be approximately equal to its rivals due to cheaper prices.
Microsoft will yet again generate the most revenue since their online services and options consistently improve.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Feb 23rd, 2013 at 03:10 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 03:07 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Aside from the fact that the Wii U did shit this past January, only a few months after it's release.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 04:16 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Smasandian

And more and more games are being released on Steam.

Doesn't feel that way on the Australian servers

and besides i've started getting into GOG and no DRM which is good.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 04:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Sure.

The point remains, more and more games are being released on PC.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 04:59 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

With the PS4 basically being a customised PC, and what with this talk of Valve releasing a 'Steam Box', I think we're finally seeing the start of the convergence of PCs and consoles.

In which regard I have no doubt Nintendo will be the last to go with the tide- they'll want to remain distinctive as long as they can.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 05:03 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ushgarak
With the PS4 basically being a customised PC, and what with this talk of Valve releasing a 'Steam Box', I think we're finally seeing the start of the convergence of PCs and consoles.

In which regard I have no doubt Nintendo will be the last to go with the tide- they'll want to remain distinctive as long as they can.

Well, the Wii U has a Power PC CPU I believe, so if the Xbox is also X86 based, which seems likely, your prediction will come true this year.

Perhaps there will be a surge in ARM based console gaming however. If the OUYA does incredibly fantastically well and Apple opens up the Apple TV for development.

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Sales data as units sold for 7th Gen consoles (as of Feb 2013):

XBOX 360: ~76 million
PS3: ~77 million
Wii: ~99 million

I predict the same outcome will happen after the 8th Gen is over.
Nintendo will likely come on top again in per unit sold, but revenue will most likely be approximately equal to its rivals due to cheaper prices.
Microsoft will yet again generate the most revenue since their online services and options consistently improve.

I'd bet against that. What I definitely don't think will happen is the 100 million Wii U's

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2013 11:11 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Smasandian
Sure.

The point remains, more and more games are being released on PC.

I still like PC gaming, Its just the whole thing with DRM, There's better ways of doing it

John Carmack is happy with the PS4 specs

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/wh...saturn-and-n64/

Old Post Feb 24th, 2013 07:39 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I compare Steam to be similar as a console.

As long as Steam is functional and have great selection and sales, I will use it.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2013 01:10 AM
Demonic Phoenix

About sums it up.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Feb 25th, 2013 01:34 AM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, the Wii U has a Power PC CPU I believe, so if the Xbox is also X86 based, which seems likely, your prediction will come true this year.

Well first of all, it's not just the hardware, but the design philosophy. The Wii U has PC architecture in it, but it is not really got the same sort of ultimate hardware approach.

But even if it did, my prediction will take longer than that because I was talking in rather more broad conceptual terms- an eventual point where people generally won't recognise the distinction. That won't happen this generation, it is just moving that way.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 25th, 2013 09:55 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Which is fine.

I would say it's been moving in that direction for awhile. Last generation, we had numerous exclusives for each console. This generation, you could probably count the "good" exclusives on two hands per console. The upcoming generation, I wouldn't be surprised if exclusives per console go down to one hand.

Eventually a console will be a "tablet" and you hook it up through a cable or stream it. Or maybe a console will be some software that you install on your device (PC or something else) and then you can download games to it from the Internet and play it.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2013 02:21 PM
FistOfThe North

The best explaination i've read so far concerning a ps4 / high end pc comparison ..

"Overall, if you compare ps4's hardware to what's available in today's PC landscape, the PlayStation 4 is basically powered by a low-end CPU and a midrange GPU. It even packs a mechanical hard drive in an age when many PC gamers have moved on to lightning-quick solid-state drives."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029...n-compete-.html

that's crazy. the ps4's processor "might not even trump a lowly Intel Core i3 processor". that's pathetic. mixed with a mid-ranged gpu?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Feb 25th, 2013 09:12 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote