KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD
Started by: Barker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (134): « First ... « 95 96 [97] 98 99 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It's crazy to think that the graphics from the original Crysis are that ****ing good.....because they are. Crysis 3 graphics are even better.

But there is an issue. It's still ****ing difficult to run Crysis at top settings with full AA. Crysis 3 will kill your system.

In the end, graphics can only go so far and it's taking more and more power to provide little results. I'm currently playing Company of Heroes and it's still a great looking game and it came out 9 years ago.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 03:30 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's crazy to think that the graphics from the original Crysis are that ****ing good.....because they are. Crysis 3 graphics are even better.

But there is an issue. It's still ****ing difficult to run Crysis at top settings with full AA. Crysis 3 will kill your system.

In the end, graphics can only go so far and it's taking more and more power to provide little results. I'm currently playing Company of Heroes and it's still a great looking game and it came out 9 years ago.
Exactly, games are trying too hard to produce realistic graphics, that its even hard to run certain games on the top rigs on the market.

PC's of the highest caliber are hard-pressed to play various games with mind-blowing graphics.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 03:38 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

My concern isn't so much that graphics don't look significantly better than they did 8 years so, so much as the fact that games looked that good 8 years ago, yet we're still struggling to get everything optimized and running at 60fps.

It's hard to overstate how much catering to consoles has hindered video game development.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 04:08 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Tzeentch
My concern isn't so much that graphics don't look significantly better than they did 8 years so, so much as the fact that games looked that good 8 years ago, yet we're still struggling to get everything optimized and running at 60fps.

It's hard to overstate how much catering to consoles has hindered video game development.
Console gaming is the cheap alternative and easy choice to PC Gaming.

You have to optimize your computer and such, hook up your controller, get it to work with your computer, because the mouse and keyboard rarely overtake controllers themselves in controls.

Consoles are the easy choice, for a cheaper price, no modding, and big downgrade in graphics, you can play all the awesome games you usually could.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 04:25 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I guess. I don't see that much as a problem. Some games might not look better than Crysis but there is other areas where games do look better. I believe we have much better textures, effects, lighting and all that jazz than a game like Crysis. All that crap takes power and it's hard to get to a 60fps threshold. But really, who decided that 1080p at 60fps needs to be the standard. If the game looks good, plays well and doesn't have shitty framerate, that all should matter.

In the end, gamers are fickle. Last year generation it was "it should be about gameplay" and after the new consoles hits its "I can't ****ing believe its not 1080p".

My complaint is that developers are not willing to take a chance with graphics like they used too. Crytek took a huge gamble by pushing the bar but there is no way somebody would do that now. (well except maybe Crytek)

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 12:02 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Me myself, not as much an enthusiast for 1080p like all the others. For me, trying to watch something in that resolution with 60fps (depending on what I watch) can make my eyes feel funny sometimes. I'm more a 720/1080i kind of guy these days. Keeps me more focused.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 12:12 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I believe some games benefit from 60fps (well all do but lets be realistic) but some do not need too.

Forza 6 is in 60fps and looks fantastic. As for Halo 5? I would probably like the graphics be a bit better than they are if it means sacrificing some of that 60fps.

As for a game like Crysis? Oh, I first played it a smooth sailing 27-28 fps at high but I thought it was worth it. Some games can hide the lower framerate.

EDIT: Oh and to get 27-28 fps in Crysis at high cost me about $3000 for a new computer.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 01:42 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

to get 27-28 fps in Crysis at high cost me about $3000 for a new computer.

I also heard from somebody that just trying to play Borderlands got his circuit board frying to a literal melting point IIRC. Just cooked the thing.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 06:20 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

My complaint is that developers are not willing to take a chance with graphics like they used too. Crytek took a huge gamble by pushing the bar but there is no way somebody would do that now. (well except maybe Crytek)
Well, that's kind of my point. There's no point in taking any risks or innovating because games are made for consoles, not PC's, and the ceiling for how much you can innovate a game on the console is far lower than what can be done on a PC.

The result is that the games of today are pretty much only slightly improved over games almost a decade old. This wouldn't be a problem if we weren't, allegedly, in a new gaming generation.

quote:
If the game looks good, plays well and doesn't have shitty framerate, that all should matter.
Aye, and almost every AAA game that's come out in the past two years has been riddled with bugs and frame-drops, so what does that say about the gaming industry? Are we experiencing progress, or stagnation/regression?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Oct 28th, 2015 at 06:27 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 06:23 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well, that's kind of my point. There's no point in taking any risks or innovating because games are made for consoles, not PC's, and the ceiling for how much you can innovate a game on the console is far lower than what can be done on a PC.

The result is that the games of today are pretty much only slightly improved over games almost a decade old. This wouldn't be a problem if we weren't, allegedly, in a new gaming generation.

Aye, and almost every AAA game that's come out in the past two years has been riddled with bugs and frame-drops, so what does that say about the gaming industry? Are we experiencing progress, or stagnation/regression?

I'm guessing that developers won't want to take that type of risk because the cost of doing a graphic intensive game would be incredibly high. This compounds the problem because they would need to make a console version to get the game into as many hands as possible because only a small percentage of PC gamers would have the system to play it.

As for the second comment, I'm guessing developers were not ready for new consoles and believed they could develop for it without making a huge effort using new assets and engines. Compared to last generation, new games coming out are definitely look better than the previous generation but its not the same leap as before. But the increasing fidelity of textures, animation, lighting effects and etc, it still requires a **** ton of work and I'm guessing much more money because it probably more time to do so.

Regarding the initial comment you had, it sucks but I do remember 10 years ago how PC games landscape was ****ing barren. The PC crowd might of gotten a few "exclusives" every so often but there wasn't a lot of content overall. Now, you can pretty much get any console game on the PC and it usually looks better so I'm unsure if I prefer.

Last edited by Smasandian on Oct 28th, 2015 at 06:45 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2015 06:42 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Who is in charge of manufacturing Xbox One consoles because they should be fired. Finally got to try a One out and the game I put in won't eject. I go to their support site and they recommend I should stick a ****ing paper clip inside to get it out. Day 1 and already I hate Microsoft again.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Dec 26th, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 12:57 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

^Ignore that above statement. Kept messing with what I thought was the eject button on the far left of the console but the damn thing was hiding just an inch away embarrasment

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 02:04 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I bought a One in December on impulse (literally walked into the store to buy something else entirely, saw the sick deals on One bundles and walked out of the store with one), but I'm selling it now. I spent about a grand building a PC last summer, and the console experience just really doesn't compare for me. I'm so disappointed with this generation thus far.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2016 07:42 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Nemesis X
^Ignore that above statement. Kept messing with what I thought was the eject button on the far left of the console but the damn thing was hiding just an inch away embarrasment

Hahaha.

The funny thing is that the paper clip method is used a lot for stuck DVD drives on computers.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2016 02:14 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I bought a One in December on impulse (literally walked into the store to buy something else entirely, saw the sick deals on One bundles and walked out of the store with one), but I'm selling it now. I spent about a grand building a PC last summer, and the console experience just really doesn't compare for me. I'm so disappointed with this generation thus far.

All platforms have pros and cons including PC.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2016 06:43 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Sure. Some more than others.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2016 10:51 PM
cdtm

So...

I have an analog stick with a worn tip on one side, while the other's fine, resulting in a little depression that pinches the fingers. Before ordering a stick covers or whatever, I'm looking into ghetto solutions.

Do you think a little tape over it would work? I'm thinking duct tape may not have much "traction", and may, possibly be uncomfortable..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2016 10:53 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Just play Nintendo games they are the better experience.

I'm just saying that to rile people up stick out tongue

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2016 05:51 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Hey, it's true. stick out tongue

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2016 01:33 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Left 4 Dead 2 is finally backwards compatible with the One! If you got the disc, get hyped and install that!

Old Post Mar 29th, 2016 10:52 PM