KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad
Started by: Darth Vicious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (31): « First ... « 25 26 [27] 28 29 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Didn't Jesse describe Walt as lucky as well as smart? The character isn't some god that knows all and can do anything. That would be boring. He's in enough fortuitous situations to use his intelligence and knowledge to his advantage. Luck is a big part of his success.

Not against the Nazis for the most part though. His whole scheme of mowing them down with the automated M60 was successful for the most part, and it went more or less as he planned it. Whatever minor hurdles came in the way(his key being appropriated, Jesse being revealed as a prisoner rather than a partner) were all overcome by him improvising, rather than simply being too damn lucky as he usually is in other scenarios like Gus Fring.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 10:48 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Not against the Nazis for the most part though. His whole scheme of mowing them down with the automated M60 was successful for the most part, and it went more or less as he planned it. Whatever minor hurdles came in the way(his key being appropriated, Jesse being revealed as a prisoner rather than a partner) were all overcome by him improvising, rather than simply being too damn lucky as he usually is in other scenarios like Gus Fring.
The luck part in the end came down to him getting his keys back. If the pat-down guy had just kept them and stayed outside it was all over. That's not something you can plan for ahead of time, and it almost didn't pan out. Both Jack falling for his desperate insults and getting close enough to the keys wasn't anything to do with his genius or skills. It was luck. The set-up was all him, but the opportunity for its execution, all chance.

Walt's not a master superbeing who can see into the future. If there was no element of chance in his plans, then the show would totally suck.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 11:32 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Any plan will always be subject to variables on execution.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 01:50 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

If you want to go down that road then you might as well start claiming that the Nazis not instantly mowing him down the moment he came to their place is luck. Lydia and Todd agreeing to talk with him for a couple minutes is also luck. That waitress not recognizing Walter White when he was making the 52 bacon is also luck. Nope, Walt destroying the Neo-Nazis was his brain in action for the most part, and pretty much everything was calculated.

Walt was lucky that Jesse was even able to recall Gus' connection to Hector Salamanca. Walt was further lucky that Hector decided to help him in his plan instead of trying to take revenge for Tuco's death.

Walt's victory was a lucky win. Gus was admittedly the smartest man on the show. I have series creator Vince Gillian on my side while you have your own typical fanboyish obstinacy.

True enough, but he wasn't anywhere near the cop that someone like Mike is, and a good number of the instances where his back was against the wall, and he still managed to overcome the odds are attributable to the good fortune of being related to a genius meth kingpin in the making.
Walt has been far luckier on other occasions. Walt used the information he had to lure dumb Fring to his death by the man who had tortured him in the past.

Walt is the better man. Walt was smarter in a direct contest of the two. With regards to the Neonazis he was far luckier and was vulnerable. Against Fring he played him and easily so. In two situations he had him where he wanted him. Fring luckily walked away but Walt just had to get him later.

Walt proved without a question he was greater than Fring. Again luck is a part of his powerset. Jesse referenced it. You're dead wrong like Fring.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 02:17 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I think Walt is better than Fring simply because when he was running stuff, he made near $90 million in the course of 3 months. I agree that Gus was more streetsmart, but if Walt had those streetsmarts combined with his booksmarts, he'd be pretty much unstoppable.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 04:36 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by quanchi112
Walt has been far luckier on other occasions. Walt used the information he had to lure dumb Fring to his death by the man who had tortured him in the past.

Walt is the better man. Walt was smarter in a direct contest of the two. With regards to the Neonazis he was far luckier and was vulnerable. Against Fring he played him and easily so. In two situations he had him where he wanted him. Fring luckily walked away but Walt just had to get him later.

Walt proved without a question he was greater than Fring. Again luck is a part of his powerset. Jesse referenced it. You're dead wrong like Fring.

Tuco is the only occasion where he was "far luckier" and that is primarily because Heisenberg was still in the infant stages back then, meaning Walt was still a n00b.

Walt's win over the Gus was a lucky victory. Walt's annihilation of the Neonazis was a well-planned, well-executed stratagem, all of which was powered by his classic smarts and grit.

As mentioned so many times before, series creator Vince Gillian is on my side while stubborn, annoying and fanboyish trollery is on your side. thumb up

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 06:49 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

The luck part in the end came down to him getting his keys back. If the pat-down guy had just kept them and stayed outside it was all over. That's not something you can plan for ahead of time, and it almost didn't pan out. Both Jack falling for his desperate insults and getting close enough to the keys wasn't anything to do with his genius or skills. It was luck. The set-up was all him, but the opportunity for its execution, all chance.

Walt's not a master superbeing who can see into the future. If there was no element of chance in his plans, then the show would totally suck.

The "keys being taken away during the frisking" part was an unforeseen hurdle and that much I have admitted, but what you must realize is that Walt improvised by playing on Jack's ego with that Jesse accusation. How many times had Walt interacted with people like Jack in the show? Just based on his observation of Jack's murder of Hank, he already knew Jack loved to play with his victim(who is seemingly completely helpless and in Jack's power) a bit before finishing them off when the opportunity presented itself. By that point he understood how the minds of animals like Jack functioned. Him mowing down the Nazis is clearly the full on display of Heisenberg's ruthless genius and improvisation skills.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 06:55 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah it is. But it's not the uber godlike super intelligence I've heard him made out to be. There are so many elements of chance that he's been fortuitously privy to that if they had gone wrong even slightly, he'd have died long ago. How close he came to losing, even at that end game, due to simple chance. And how much he got away with due to same.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2013 08:58 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Yeah it is. But it's not the uber godlike super intelligence I've heard him made out to be. There are so many elements of chance that he's been fortuitously privy to that if they had gone wrong even slightly, he'd have died long ago. How close he came to losing, even at that end game, due to simple chance. And how much he got away with due to same.

I certainly am not claiming that he had "uber godlike" intelligence, although it was certainly up there at the genius level at the very least. That combined with his resolve to close unfinished business back in Albuquerque, and the classic Heisenberg ruthlessness and the considerable experience he had attained throughout the series in dealing with major threats is what enabled to finish off the Aryans and Lydia. Not luck(which was involved in previous battles in varying levels).

Old Post Oct 8th, 2013 11:14 PM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

None of his plans were flawless, the degrees of success he obtained were due to little twists of luck in his favour, and that's a good thing IMO, someone who gets everything spot on is boring.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Oct 8th, 2013 11:23 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I certainly am not claiming that he had "uber godlike" intelligence, although it was certainly up there at the genius level at the very least. That combined with his resolve to close unfinished business back in Albuquerque, and the classic Heisenberg ruthlessness and the considerable experience he had attained throughout the series in dealing with major threats is what enabled to finish off the Aryans and Lydia. Not luck(which was involved in previous battles in varying levels).
Yes certainly. But he wasn't just ruthless, clever, and cunning. He was also lucky. He was always lucky. Sheer fortuitous chance saved his ass in the quickest, smallest ways that when, for all his cunning, he would have otherwise failed. Or died. See the 'key' example for reference.

Originally posted by samhain
None of his plans were flawless, the degrees of success he obtained were due to little twists of luck in his favour, and that's a good thing IMO, someone who gets everything spot on is boring.
Spot on.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2013 11:37 PM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Yes certainly. But he wasn't just ruthless, clever, and cunning. He was also lucky. He was always lucky. Sheer fortuitous chance saved his ass in the quickest, smallest ways that when, for all his cunning, he would have otherwise failed. Or died. See the 'key' example for reference.

I already admitted that luck was involved to varying degrees in previous confrontations like Tuco and Gus. What I don't believe is that luck was the key to him mowing down the Nazis. It was not. That was his intelligence, grit and resolve to avenge Hank's death and protect his family from any future advances made by the Aryan group.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2013 11:47 PM
FistOfThe North

If you want to go down that road then you might as well start claiming that the Nazis not instantly mowing him down the moment he came to their place is luck. Lydia and Todd agreeing to talk with him for a couple minutes is also luck. That waitress not recognizing Walter White when he was making the 52 bacon is also luck. Nope, Walt destroying the Neo-Nazis was his brain in action for the most part, and pretty much everything was calculated.

Walt's victory was a lucky win. Gus was admittedly the smartest man on the show. I have series creator Vince Gillian on my side while you have your own typical fanboyish obstinacy.

His brain in action? And we can go there: Walt would'nt've of gotten to the Nazi's if it weren't for luck in the first place so what does it matter? Realistically Walt should been killed a while back anyway and in more than a few scenarios. Would you like me to name some?

Look I'm not discrediting his intelligence, imo he was the smartest individual in the show, even smarter than Fring, we saw how he outsmarted him, but there were instances where Vince Gillian clearly, and for obvious reasons, tailored Walt's events in Walt's favor.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 03:08 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Lestov16
I think Walt is better than Fring simply because when he was running stuff, he made near $90 million in the course of 3 months. I agree that Gus was more streetsmart, but if Walt had those streetsmarts combined with his booksmarts, he'd be pretty much unstoppable.

I dunno. ..

Walt to me, had a bit more of a moral conscious than Fring did. He wasn't as cutthroat or sadistic, which is what you need to be, as a kingpin, in that game. You have to be completely 100% moral-less. And Walt wasn't that, unless his hand was forced to the max. I don't think he was even capable of it either, no matter the success.

Murder isn't really in Walt. Like he'd avoid if he had to unlike Fring. where he would do it anytime and it was just fine with him afterwards.

Walt would only and always be just fine as a cook. No more, no less, in my eyes. And he would've been ok. Even Mike, my fav character, said "We had a good thing.."

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 03:23 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by samhain

Yeah but with the luck he had you'd have to suspend belief a bit. Just sayin'.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 03:25 AM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
His brain in action? And we can go there: Walt would'nt've of gotten to the Nazi's if it weren't for luck in the first place so what does it matter? Realistically Walt should been killed a while back anyway and in more than a few scenarios. Would you like me to name some?

Look I'm not discrediting his intelligence, imo he was the smartest individual in the show, even smarter than Fring, we saw how he outsmarted him, but there were instances where Vince Gillian clearly, and for obvious reasons, tailored Walt's events in Walt's favor.

Yes it was. He had an elaborate plan on how to take down the Nazis in that episode, and the plan was more or less 100% successful in execution. Nope, we can't go down that road because it has nothing to do with how he mowed down the Aryans.

Never really disputed that he got lucky in a number of instances. What I truly disbelieve however is the idea that he was lucky against the Nazis while simply smarter against Fring, when it's the complete opposite based on what we saw in the show.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2013 09:23 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Both instances were Heisenberg/Walt using his head.

Fring was before he succumbed to ego and passion,
The Aryans were after his ego was shattered and he had time to reflect, and get back to using his loaf again.

He probably intended to take out ALL of the Aryans in one volley and live and escape possibly with the money they stole.
Two things that didn't go according to that plan.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2013 09:10 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I don't think Walt planned on living.

I doubt he wanted to die in jail.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 11th, 2013 10:00 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Well if he had escaped, he might not have died in jail.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2013 10:44 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Tuco is the only occasion where he was "far luckier" and that is primarily because Heisenberg was still in the infant stages back then, meaning Walt was still a n00b.

Walt's win over the Gus was a lucky victory. Walt's annihilation of the Neonazis was a well-planned, well-executed stratagem, all of which was powered by his classic smarts and grit.

As mentioned so many times before, series creator Vince Gillian is on my side while stubborn, annoying and fanboyish trollery is on your side. thumb up
Walt was lucky the entire time here and there in varying degrees.

No, that was out thinking Gus. Hardly any lucky at all just manipulating Gus.

Walt was far luckier against the Nazis. Every one else has pointed out all the reasons. You love Gus and are flat out looking ridiculous here.

The show referenced Walt's luck as a part of his powerset. He beat Gus. He is better. Case closed. The show demonstrated it and it what happened. No point in arguing against the facts.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2013 03:26 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote