KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad
Started by: Darth Vicious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (31): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
There was nothing smart about Walt killing Mike nor was it to get the names. He killed him out of pure spite and anger over someone who he feels should respect and be grateful to him insulting him instead. If he'd really wanted the names he wouldn't have immediately shot him like he did, which would only guarantee he wouldn't get them. Like in the last episode with Hank he was walking away before thinking **** it and gives into his base impulses and emotions.

And that is why he is no Gus Fring.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 05:31 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

That wasn't the same. Gus carefully took his clothes off and put of the lab clothes and then killed Victor deliberately and brutally to make a point. He wasn't doing it out of bruised ego or frustrated anger; like everything he did he was calculated and in control of his emotions. Which is the fundamental difference between he and Walt. Walt lets his ego and emotions control his actions while Gus has insane self-control at nearly all times.

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The last thing that Mike would have expected from Walt, the man he wasn't scared of and didn't respect. He was under Mike's cosh for seasons; Smart is very dumb style sometimes and timing is everything. Walt capitalised when the tiem was 'right'.
How he got rid of almost everyone else including Gus was more classy/chessy though.

That doesn't make it smart on Walts part. He wasn't waiting for the opportunity to kill Mike and cleverly took advantage of a slip up, he lost control and offed him in a moment of vulnerability. Mike had no way to predict that Walt would senselessly murder him for no reason. Its not on Walt being smart, its on Mike for not realising just how monstrous Walt really is.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 06:14 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Nah, I'd definitely say that was down out of frustration and anger. Even Mike was shaken up by Gus there. Yes, Walt lets his ego get the better of him more than Gus, it's arguably one of his biggest flaws. But Gus still has an ego which is why he is always gloating to Hector.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 06:48 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

That wasn't the same. Gus carefully took his clothes off and put of the lab clothes and then killed Victor deliberately and brutally to make a point. He wasn't doing it out of bruised ego or frustrated anger; like everything he did he was calculated and in control of his emotions. Which is the fundamental difference between he and Walt. Walt lets his ego and emotions control his actions while Gus has insane self-control at nearly all times.

That doesn't make it smart on Walts part. He wasn't waiting for the opportunity to kill Mike and cleverly took advantage of a slip up, he lost control and offed him in a moment of vulnerability. Mike had no way to predict that Walt would senselessly murder him for no reason. Its not on Walt being smart, its on Mike for not realising just how monstrous Walt really is.

Both were ones for long term games/depthful strategy and both also had restraint and facades of cunning.
Walt probably slightly less so due to the big c feeling like a ticking clock to him, but yeah the biggest shame was that we never got to see them face off on a Chessboard.
Would have been a hell of a game.
(Gus would take it in Poker though. No reads or tells on THAT face.)

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 06:55 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ares834
Nah, I'd definitely say that was down out of frustration and anger. Even Mike was shaken up by Gus there. Yes, Walt lets his ego get the better of him more than Gus, it's arguably one of his biggest flaws. But Gus still has an ego which is why he is always gloating to Hector.

Hmm, I take it as Victor needing to be dealt with, as he'd allowed himself to be seen, overstepped his bounds by trying to cook the meth and in general ****ed up the situation. Also it was to intimidate Jesse and Walt and try to get them in line. I believe Walt speculated about his motives in a few episodes. I do think he was frustrated and angry, but he wasn't controlled by it. Recall that as well as being able to calmly change clothes, Gus had to go through the whole day after being told, just doing his usual business, again demonstrating how in control he was. In his position Walt would have blown everything off, rushed over and then thought up a weak excuse later on.

But yes, his one flaw was Hector and his past. But even then he was incredibly patient in dealing with the cartel and very careful with Hector. Again, he was mostly in control.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 07:03 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Hmm, I take it as Victor needing to be dealt with, as he'd allowed himself to be seen, overstepped his bounds by trying to cook the meth and in general ****ed up the situation. Also it was to intimidate Jesse and Walt and try to get them in line. I believe Walt speculated about his motives in a few episodes. I do think he was frustrated and angry, but he wasn't controlled by it. Recall that as well as being able to calmly change clothes, Gus had to go through the whole day after being told, just doing his usual business, again demonstrating how in control he was. In his position Walt would have blown everything off, rushed over and then thought up a weak excuse later on.

But yes, his one flaw was Hector and his past. But even then he was incredibly patient in dealing with the cartel and very careful with Hector. Again, he was mostly in control.
This.

I know people really like to think that Walt is the pinnacle of calculating master criminal genius, but the man has a host of flaws that tend to f*ck things up. In the course of a single year he's gotten himself in to many a deadly pickle that he's barely escaped from. And that's what makes him such a f*cking awesome character. He's not Gus, he's Walt. He's very, very different from than other character. And thank God he is.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 09:04 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

Yeah Walt is overcome with his Ego at times, its going to be interesting how this all pans out now.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2013 02:21 AM
Lexington is currently offline Click here to Send Lexington a Private Message Find more posts by Lexington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

But tone aside he was addressing Walt's being responsible for 515.

And Walt was smart enough to capitalise on that and kill Mike.
Something so many had tried to do before and failed.

His badassery has been seen. Have a look at the clips I provided. Not all badassery is in neccesarily in Rambo-ic form.
Well he certainly (going back to my original point) was emulating Gus when talking to Lydia last week.

Eh, let's just agree to disagree on the Jane part.

I don't believe that Walt is a Gus-level character at this point in the show, but I'll wait and see if he does things in the coming episode that put him on his level.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2013 04:35 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Walt may have had killed 10 witnesses killed, but Gus killed an entire cartel, while putting himself in the line of fire and avoiding danger.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Aug 20th, 2013 04:57 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

There was nothing smart about Walt killing Mike nor was it to get the names. He killed him out of pure spite and anger over someone who he feels should respect and be grateful to him insulting him instead. If he'd really wanted the names he wouldn't have immediately shot him like he did, which would only guarantee he wouldn't get them. Like in the last episode with Hank he was walking away before thinking **** it and gives into his base impulses and emotions.

And that is why he is no Gus Fring.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2013 06:06 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by Lestov16
Walt may have had killed 10 witnesses killed, but Gus killed an entire cartel, while putting himself in the line of fire and avoiding danger.

With Mike and Jesse saving his ass.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2013 05:36 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

I find it funny people are proclaiming Walt is no Gus Fring. They are right. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but Walt killed Gus. Walt beat him and despite an entire operation against him.

Walt>Gus. Gus died after be lost the chess game against Walt.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 03:51 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

just saw episode 510.. they really know how to end an episode.. is it sunday yet?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: do you guys think walt might use the ricin on jesse?

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 03:55 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Originally posted by super pr*xy
just saw episode 510.. they really know how to end an episode.. is it sunday yet?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: do you guys think walt might use the ricin on jesse?

At this point, I dont know. I'm thinking Lydia and Todd will force Walt to cook and that probably wont work and his family will pay the price. The M60 could be for Todd and his people. I don't want Jesse to talk but at this point is looking likely.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 05:38 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I thought the same.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 03:39 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Walt killing Jesse would always be the one irredeemable act he could do in my eyes. I'm not sure if he'd ever actually cross that line.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 03:42 PM
Darth Vicious

Walt killing Jesse would always be the one irredeemable act he could do in my eyes. I'm not sure if he'd ever actually cross that line.

Even more so than Jane? Her only crime was being a biotch to Walt and being a junkie. Jesse tends to be a biotch himself sometimes, he is a junkie and killed before.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 10:02 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

walt didn't kill jane, though.. he let her die..

i think jesse will die.. could be suicide or homicide..

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2013 04:46 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

And made the 99% pure meth she used..... Just sayin'...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2013 04:48 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Even more so than Jane? Her only crime was being a biotch to Walt and being a junkie. Jesse tends to be a biotch himself sometimes, he is a junkie and killed before.
He's gone through too much to protect Jesse and keep him close. Having the show end with him then killing him would feel... very inconsistent and unbelievable. The other way around, absolutely. But Walt killing Jesse in anything short of desperate self defence would reek of trying to hard to be momentous on the writers' parts.

And made the 99% pure meth she used..... Just sayin'...
I thought she OD'd on heroin?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2013 10:19 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote