KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Disney acquires Lucasfilm; Episode VII proposed for 2015

Disney acquires Lucasfilm; Episode VII proposed for 2015
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (74): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, even calling it Episode VII is weird. All the original storylines are wrapped, so it's not Episode VII, it's the first part of something entirely new, but I guess marketing has its play, along with the myth that GL had an unproduced post-ROTJ trilogy in his head (though if it used any of the ideas he originally had for films between ESB and ROTJ, that would be intriguing).

I'd be surprised if it pays any heed to the EU. We'll see.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 10:26 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, even calling it Episode VII is weird. All the original storylines are wrapped, so it's not Episode VII, it's the first part of something entirely new, but I guess marketing has its play, along with the myth that GL had an unproduced post-ROTJ trilogy in his head (though if it used any of the ideas he originally had for films between ESB and ROTJ, that would be intriguing).

I'd be surprised if it pays any heed to the EU. We'll see.

I'd be surprised to see EU mentions too, but I can hope.

At this point, I have to see the EU as a completely different entity. The Clone Wars show has already helped me make that distinction since it's been branded top-level canon and changed many things that the EU has already established.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 10:39 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gambler
Galaxy's most wanted

I hope Dark Horse keeps the license for comics.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Gambler a Private Message Find more posts by Gambler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I have very mixed feelings.

I would love to see Luke re-establish the Jedi Academy, meet Mara Jade (Luke's love) Han and Leia elope and have their three kids (the twins Jaina and Jacen, and then Anakin), Boba Fett escapes the Sarlaac Pit, and the clone of Emperor Palpatine almost seduce Luke to the Dark Side appear on film.

However, I trust Disney's integrity like a vampire giving me a blow job.

I need to research this more.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 11:31 PM
Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

God, if they try to film anything as dire and conceptually contradictory to the originals as clones of Palpatine, then I'll hope the studios burn down.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I'd also love to see the Yuuzhan Vong!

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 11:42 PM
Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

just outta curiosity, why or how would this aquisition be good news, exactly? Anyone?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 11:55 PM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

My jaw literally fell open when I saw this over at IGN

thought it was a April's fool joke... in Halloween

Not so sure what I think of this.

I like the idea of more live action movies, but I always felt like Ep VI was the end of the story. Regardless of any good post OT EU story, I always saw the EU as its own entity. Anakin brought balance to the force and that was it.

It will be weird not having Lucas as heavily involved in the SW future as he always was. I'm surprised he went ahead with the sale. He must be tired of all, but I never thought he'd let it go like this.
It can be great creatively, not having everything go through him, but it's still weird.

Besides the confirmation of a new movie, what will happen to rest of SW?
is the tv show still going to be make? what about future shows?
how is the canon going to be handle going forward?
will we get the original movies as first released? Are anymore changes going to be make?

and, though not SW:

what will happen to Indy?

about the comics: I read DH isn't sure of the comics, even though everything that's planned is still going forward. Most likely Marvel will regain the publishing rights.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Oct 30th, 2012 11:56 PM
Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well I'm dying to see Luke as a Jedi Master on screen!

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:04 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I might eventually see the upside to all this, but right now I'm just numb with shock.

Lucas put everything he got out of the first Star Wars film to build an independent film-making empire up in Northern California, taking all the merchandising rights Fox (in what proved to be a stupendously short sighted move) gave away to him in his original contract. The difference between Star Wars and all the other film series owned and beaten into the ground by other studios, was the rights were owned by one man. And he made them the way he wanted to, with no studio bureaucracy breathing down on him. It made the films special events when they came.

....And now - the empire, the rights to Star Wars - it's all owned by Disney.

no expression

The immediate up side for George Lucas - aside from pocketing a few more billion - is now all the haters who can't give up the littlest change can go complain to Disney from now on about Who Shot First etc.

If you've been wanting him gone from the saga, well congratulations. You're succeeded.
Happy now?

And does more movies put the EU canon started from Heir To The Empire in jeopardy? I really would prefer they leave the characters of Episodes I-VI alone.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:23 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh no star wars will be ruined now.

oh wait george lucas took care of that already.

ok i think they should:

1-purify the OT and rid it of lucas' "improvements"
2-reboot the PT. thats right. REBOOT.
3-leave the sith dead for the sequels.

as ush pointed out: clone palpatine was a stupid idea. it was stupid even before the PT made him a contradiction. clone palpatine was nothing more than unimaginative garbage and the poster-character for why i always hated EU.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Last edited by focus4chumps on Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:27 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Regarding the plot, my hope is that they jump about 100 years or so into the future, ala Legacy. I don't want to see cameos of old as **** Luke and Han and the gang. I really don't want these people to get the EU treatment of all their fighting in the OT being for nothing as they have to get involved in shit in their old age anyway.

I want all the people in the OT to be dead, to have died peacefully knowing that they'd changed the Galaxy for the better, and I want the characters who are alive in the current setting to see those people as "legends".

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider
I might eventually see the upside to all this, but right now I'm just numb with shock.

Lucas put everything he got out of the first Star Wars film to build an independent film-making empire up in Northern California, taking all the merchandising rights Fox (in what proved to be a stupendously short sighted move) gave away to him in his original contract. The difference between Star Wars and all the other film series owned and beaten into the ground by other studios, was the rights were owned by one man. And he made them the way he wanted to, with no studio bureaucracy breathing down on him. It made the films special events when they came.

....And now - the empire, the rights to Star Wars - it's all owned by Disney.

no expression

That's what was so great about SW, but it's also what made him one of the most hated film makers in hollywood. Pretty sad they didn't appreciate what he achieved in that way, and just how much he's brought to cinema.

The immediate up side for George Lucas - aside from pocketing a few more billion - is now all the haters who can't give up the littlest change can go complain to Disney from now on about Who Shot First etc.

If you've been wanting him gone from the saga, well congratulations. You're succeeded.
Happy now?

I can see he got fed up of SW fans hate ranting at him. I personally loved all the SW Movies he created.

The upside for me is, we can now get SW sequel movies. There was no way Lucas was going to make more.

And if the new ones suck, then like you said no one can blame Lucas for it.

We can always differentiate between Lucas's movies and any other SW Movies.

And does more movies put the EU canon started from Heir To The Empire in jeopardy? I really would prefer they leave the characters of Episodes I-VI alone.

It's safe to say all Post ROTJ Eu stuff will be thrown into the trash.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:35 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Happy now?

yes

as a battered widow might say "now you can never hurt me again"

since disney has no ego riding on 'improving' the OT, and a vested interest in doing the opposite...i think we might well soon get an unmolested OT blu ray within the year.

so yes, roughrider, i am THRILLED, actually

Last edited by focus4chumps on Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:37 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh and just f.y.i. you know this kinda means...

...supershadow was right all along wacko

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:45 AM
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

I'd like to see a Thrawn trilogy, but in all likelyhood they'll do a bunch of new ones with new characters.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Hoping they opt to jump ahead in the future and not continue with Luke, Leia, Han etc. with a new cast.

Also hoping they jump far enough ahead that all characters from Ep1-6 are long dead and we don't get some old actor playing old Luke.

Read some rumours that they're thinking of doing Han and Leia's offspring as the focus. Just rumours though.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 01:36 AM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard

Also hoping they jump far enough ahead that all characters from Ep1-6 are long dead and we don't get some old actor playing old Luke.

yeah perish the thought.
some old actor playing luke like...mark hammil.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 01:51 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

I certainly could see more movies happening, and Lucas did too, even if they weren't going to be made by him. I just thought he'd pass the baton to his successor and let them take care of it, and Lucasfilm continues as the independent it has long been. But this...this is earthshaking.

So...perhaps only something that has been shown on the big screen or the small screen can be considered canon in the future? All the EU literature and video games - off the side of the ship...?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Oct 31st, 2012 at 02:18 AM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 02:13 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by focus4chumps
yeah perish the thought.
some old actor playing luke like...mark hammil.

Yeah, lol. Keep forgetting he's 60ish. I was thinking of a much older Luke, say 80+. Also, Hamil's not a very good actor, there, I said it.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 31st, 2012 02:17 AM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote