KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Ender's Game

Ender's Game
Started by: focus4chumps

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ender's Game

surprised there is no thread on this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

i just needed to post this to point out that col. graffe's (harrison ford) aide will be played by 'han soto'. not kidding.

despite card's battles with hollywood, it seems we will have to deal with post-pubescent ender wiggins. even bean will be 13. other than these inconsistencies, and assuming they proceed based on the book and not some bastardized coming-of-age crap drama, im still looking forward to it.

anyone else give a crap?

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 02:13 AM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Ender being not.. 8, or whatever age he was in the book, kind of makes sense. I'm all for accuracy to the source material, but the movie almost definitely would have performed worse if they had made Ender a little kid. Americans are very... squeamish when it comes to stuff like that, unfortunately.

Harrison Ford as Col. Graff is awesome though. Ben Kinglsey as Mazer Rackham is a really interesting choice, though.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Nov 17th, 2012 at 02:30 AM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 02:27 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Ender being not.. 8, or whatever age he was in the book, kind of makes sense. I'm all for accuracy to the source material, but the movie almost definitely would have performed worse if they had made Ender a little kid. Americans are very... squeamish when it comes to stuff like that, unfortunately.

Harrison Ford as Col. Graff is awesome though. Ben Kinglsey as Mazer Rackham is a really interesting choice, though.

i agree that ben kingsley is perfect for the role. i can easily picture it. cant picture harrison ford as an obese col graff though...but i can live with that.

however i disagree with your point about american audiences not being able to stomach child actors committing homicide...

while its unrealistic to have an 8 year old ender (especially since [iirc] he was 11 by the time he went to command school), i hoped that card would have achieved his goal of avoiding a post-pubescent actor. oh well.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 03:51 AM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

How many 8 year olds [dude] could handle the roll? I'm guessing this was a factor in the casting.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 03:58 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
How many 8 year olds [dude] could handle the roll? I'm guessing this was a factor in the casting.

i dont think anyone would suggest an 8 year old since ender is 11 by the time he gets to command school.

i was hoping for 11-12. may i remind you that both bran and arya from game of thrones were played by actors of that age in season one.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 04:07 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Not saying it can't be done, look at Haley Joel Osmet in The Sixth Sense.

But I'd suspect the pool of preteen actors who can handle and carry a lead role, isn't vast, especially one dealing with a war theme and this likely was a factor(not the only factor).

Is there an official reason why they went with a fifteen year old instead?

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 04:20 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

probably the exact reason you stated. my only disappointment since they really only needed 2 preteen actors to play ender and bean.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 04:29 AM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by focus4chumps
i agree that ben kingsley is perfect for the role. i can easily picture it. cant picture harrison ford as an obese col graff though...but i can live with that.

however i disagree with your point about american audiences not being able to stomach child actors committing homicide...

while its unrealistic to have an 8 year old ender (especially since [iirc] he was 11 by the time he went to command school), i hoped that card would have achieved his goal of avoiding a post-pubescent actor. oh well.
It's not just homicide, though. It's the nature of the violence.

People don't mind stuff like what you posted, or that little girl in True Grit. There's a difference between violence of that nature and the violence you would see in, say, Kickass, where the visceral ass-beatings Hit-Girl was involved in was a point of controversy surrounding the film (several critics even rated it lower than they would have because of it).

Watching 8 year old Ender kill someone quickly and cleanly in self-defense, or out of necessity, is one thing. Showing him violently beat the shit out of, and basically murder in cold blood, other similarly aged children, is something else. I mean the book itself received a massive amount of criticism because of the violence surrounding the kids, and books are generally held to a more forgiving standard.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Nov 17th, 2012 at 05:37 AM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2012 05:32 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Dec 7th, 2012 06:01 PM
siriuswriter

Oh my GOD! I cannot WAIT till this comes out. I've read the entire Ender's series many times over. I'm sorry that Orson Scott Card didn't get all he wanted, but I agree that if they showed Ender endlessly attacking kids his own age it would be... difficult. With that said, they can easily "camera away" and then tell what happened after the fact.
I mean, that's part of what Earth has turned into. Bean is what... two? when he joins his gang? [Different book - Ender's Shadow]

I love Scott Card's work - and the picture just potsed - it sort of looks like the bunker...? That's strange, I always imagined the bunker as a darker place. I can't wait to see their computers, the game that they play - OMG, the battles! The descriptions are well done, but still confusing. I can't wait to SEE those things!!

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2012 10:11 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I get the impression you're excited for this.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2012 05:37 AM
siriuswriter

Naw, really?

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2012 03:28 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

new image of ender and (i presume) petra.

since its a giant image i'll just url it:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-cont...ttle-School.jpg

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 06:59 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Why does future food look unappetizing so often.

Shrank it for you:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Robtard on Feb 20th, 2013 at 07:23 PM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 07:20 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

why do you insist on failing at every little thing?

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 07:39 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Watch that pretty mouth of yours, cos I can make the pic smaller.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 07:40 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

perhaps you need to internally confront this deliverance rape scene obsession in a healthy and constructive manner.

Last edited by focus4chumps on Feb 22nd, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 12:08 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

You asked for it:

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 12:13 AM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

they need to post a battleroom shot ffs.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2013 12:24 AM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post May 1st, 2013 11:01 PM