KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?

Will the Original cuts of the OT get released?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by focus4chumps
bad news: george lucas edited the original negatives. so the only way it could be done would either be reverse-editing to get as close to the original as they can, or perhaps using an existing reel, though im not knowledgable enough on that sort of matter to know if its even possible to do that.

This is the bit that is hard to believe. I know Lucas said that, but frankly: no one cuts his negatives. Lucas is so obsessive about keeping and saving everything from his movies (he even has the original OT Sand trooper shoulder pads!), it is very hard to believe he has been cutting his negatives and throwing the rest away. No professional filmmaker believes someone would do that. Negatives are always kept in a safe.
So either Lucas has been lying or he's been not very smart. I'd like to know the truth about this one day. This is no way to treat movie history, especially from someone who used to fervently advocate preservation of national film heritage.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 07:36 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

There was the salt mine story too..

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 10:55 AM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
I'll let Kevin Spacey say it best, below... big grin

Fox does not own the rights to the Star Wars saga. If they did, they could have made any number of films after ROTJ in 1983 right up until TPM in 1999, and past that. George Lucas owned the rights, and just had a distribution contract with Fox for the films. They could not make a film unless he wanted to. Even before the sale with Disney, he's had The Clone Wars series running for years on a network owned by Warner Bros., not Fox, and they couldn't do anything about it. The only thing that is a hitch in Disney's ownership of Lucasfilm, is Fox has the right to distribute the old films on disc until about 2020, holding up any ultimate collection that includes future films. That's all Fox owns.

And who was getting into comparisons of what the PT grossed versus the OT? Not me. It's known that adjusting for inflation that Gone With The Wind and Star Wars are still No. 1 & 2 all time.

How about getting back to basic math?

The combined amount George Lucas spent on the three PT films - north of $350 million.

The combined worldwide gross of the three PT films - $2.5 billion.

THAT, is evidence of a blockbuster smash films series, my friend. not of a film series that NO ONE likes, as the media and certain fans keep putting it. And they all came back to buy the DVDs in huge numbers, AND again to buy the blu-rays in record numbers.
As far as George Lucas is concerned, if they films weren't popular they wouldn't keep coming back. But they have, and they still do. The perception some cranky fans still put out there after all these years, in no way reflects reality.

again, fox owns distribution rights to the existing films. this includes blu-ray. disney owns rights to the franchise. george lucas owns NOTHING. do some rudimentary research before continuing to make a spectacle of yourself.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...d-tie-up-384541

the complication in figuring out who has the rights to what in making a classic trilogy box set is between fox and disney.
george lucas is out of the picture.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Last edited by focus4chumps on Dec 5th, 2012 at 01:31 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 01:19 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Here's hoping for an OOT blu ray.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 04:29 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by focus4chumps
again, fox owns distribution rights to the existing films. this includes blu-ray. disney owns rights to the franchise. george lucas owns NOTHING. do some rudimentary research before continuing to make a spectacle of yourself.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...d-tie-up-384541

the complication in figuring out who has the rights to what in making a classic trilogy box set is between fox and disney.
george lucas is out of the picture.

Again - you said Fox owns( or owned) Star Wars, which has never been the case. If it was, they could have made the films without him. In the early 90's, when Lucas was mulling the prequels, he could have taken them to any studio to distribute, but chose ultimately to go back to Fox after they kindly footed the bill for restoration and everything that went into making the Special Editions in 1997. Distribution deals do not a franchise make. What's happening now is nothing but 'legalize' regarding the distribution of the old films to a certain date.

Anyone looking at the threads you've started in this forum sees you just live to troll all things George Lucas and the SW universe. You're just another 'fan' who continues to deny reality - the continuing successful reality of the PT and the ongoing EU. Saying it's all wrong and it shouldn't be like this doesn't change anything. I was in a theatre watching this back in 1977, and I continue to be a fan. If I didn't like what I saw, I would quit and do something else with my time rather than come on forums and complain.

Attachment: you-lost-the-argument-shut-up-and-gtfo.jpg
This has been downloaded 27 time(s).

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 06:47 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

you can thumb your nose at the fact all you wish, but it only makes you look incredibly irrational, especially your segue into yet another childish and irrelevant ad hominem attack.

since cited evidence will continue to be ignored by you and since you can provide no evidence to support your ridiculous claim i suppose this discussion has reached its conclusion. unless you would like to post some more irrelevance and a super funny meme pic as a triumphant victory march?

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 06:54 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

RoughRider:

Well Disney now own it, by your definition.
Have you seen the contracts? Do you know for sure that legally speaking that that was the exact construction of the arrangement between Lucas and Fox?

Prequels successful how..? 'Critically?' It was roasted by more critics than the previous movies due to it's stiff direction, lack of defined characters, suspense and 'live action' action, in addition to argueable lack of soul/humanity.. all of which the OT was chock full.

Commercially successful? Maybe so. But repeat box office comparing special edition box office to reshowings of the Phantom Menace should show you whats what there..

Fanwise...divided twofold. You may not like it but there are tonnes of fans that didnt like the prequels (certainly remembering how good the OT was) yet love the OT. And they might seem very inconvenient to your view, but their voices are as valid as yours.
One thing is for sure. I dont trust anyone who rates the PT above OT.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Dec 5th, 2012 at 07:04 PM

Old Post Dec 5th, 2012 07:00 PM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Fox owns the distribution rights. But I don't know how much say they have about WHAT's being distributed.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 09:05 AM