"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."
I never thought the actors for the first FF were that bad. I always attributed everything to it being the era when people felt that in order for you to make a good comic book movie it needed lots and lots of cheesey moments and dialogue.
I really think it might be a good idea if they don't take too much creative liberties changing fundamental stuff about the fantastic four.
Here's a list of what I think was bad about the first 2 ff movies:
-Jessica Alba as Sue Richards. Latina looks can't be hid by a simple hair dying and having a brother who looks worlds apart from her doesn't help.
-Dr. Doom onboard the accident, gaining powers and being the first main villain anyway. Pure garbage.
-Mr Fantastic is dull and boring as hell. No chemistry whatsoever with Sue.
-Galactus as a cloud
-Power swapping plot is trash.
The reboot should really address these issues in order to be likeable. The first villain in FF shouldn't be Doom at all, he should be saved for a sequel and tying him up with the FF's origin plot ruins a perfectly brilliant potential for his own origins.
- I thought the casting was all right, but Jessica Alba was pretty disposable as Sue. She didn't bring anything special to the role, and the amount of time they spent making her look more Caucasian didn't help. She was a pretty vacuum.
- Doom getting powers along with the other four at the original accident, that's something we saw in the Ultimate Fantastic Four series. I thought that move made sense, rather than just having Doom as a brilliant technocrat and magic disciple. It saved lots of screen time.
- I thought Ioan Gruffudd did pretty well as the nerdy, distracted Reed. Lack of chemistry with Sue, again I think you can point to Jessica Alba.
- Galactus...I think they were guilty of wanting to hold him back too much for a future FF sequel, or a Silver Surfer spinoff movie. The teasing of his shape in cloud form, then the movie ends...not satisfying enough.
- Only Johnny got the power to swap and gain powers, because of how the Surfer affected him. I thought him having them all at once was like a homage to Super Skrull.
The first movie certainly wasn't great, but also suffered from comparison to The Incredibles, which came out just months earlier. In the exaggerated animation medium, they got to make the FF movie the live action one was trying to be. They failed with the tone, more than anything else. And Julian McMahon was a total failure as Doom (I mean, Batman And Robin scale failure!)
I don't know if being even more reverent to the source material for the reboot is the answer; they just need to be better, & more serious. Family bickering that isn't sitcom level.
"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison
Last edited by roughrider on May 1st, 2013 at 07:55 PM