KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?

How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?
Started by: keiththegreat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (24): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Horrificus

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Horrificus
Yup. That's about 75,000 miles of ultra-dense Asgarding Serpent right there. (Yeah, I know, "that's what SHE said.") Anyway... Since ALL Asgardian matter is 3 times as dense as that of Earth, I would say we are seeing something that weighs about the same as the Earth, if not more.
(please log in to view the image)

And, this is a beauty right here. Thor's body and all matter in the immediate vicinity is suddenly generating the equivalent gravity of a Neutron Star.
Neutron Star- 1 Sugar Cube of Neutron Star Material = 1 Hundred Billion Tons. His body, plus the mass of all the matter that envelopes him...
At first, he is knocked flat. Then, he is able to stand. Then, finally, he actually throws it all off of his body and moves freely.
OK.
So, let's make it official. You guys are just deciding to ignore these on-panel feats.
Am I correct?
I just want to be clear on this. You guys have looked at the scans, statements and narration and are saying that it didn't happen, or the details given are to be ignored, etc.

I think that is FREAKING hilarious!

And, excellent ammo for future use. big grin

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:28 PM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by celeyhyga17
And? It doesn't make it less impressive. Even though it's a shared feat, he is exerting equal force to Herc which makes it much less muddled. Don't forget, Hulk's HotM indirect planet busting feat is considered one of the most incredibly impressive feats of strength in all comics. In the end it's shared since Betty was on the receiving end of that impact as was Hulk to her.

Shared feats are less accurate in assessing strength levels. Maybe to hulk fans, it was an incredible feat. Superman and Kal-L did that 5 years before pak tried that.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:30 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

OK.
So, let's make it official. You guys are just deciding to ignore these on-panel feats.
Am I correct?
I just want to be clear on this. You guys have looked at the scans, statements and narration and are saying that it didn't happen, or the details given are to be ignored, etc.

I think that is FREAKING hilarious!

And, excellent ammo for future use. big grin

One is nowhere close to being a planetary feat and other is pure silver age hyperbole. What else is being ignored here?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:32 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by abhilegend
Shared feats are less accurate in assessing strength levels. Maybe to hulk fans, it was an incredible feat. Superman and Kal-L did that 5 years before pak tried that.

No. The illustration as well as the narration clearly portray an equal amount of force. Lol for you on not being able to see that. For that scan, your shared feat statement does not carry much weight. For some shared strength feats, it's a reasonable argument to bring up. This one, not so much... Smh..

Last edited by celeyhyga17 on Dec 16th, 2012 at 07:45 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:43 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Meh! Cause one big enough earthquake and you can shift the earth's axis

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...th20110314.html

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 07:55 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by -K-M-
Meh! Cause one big enough earthquake and you can shift the earth's axis

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...th20110314.html

Yeah, but the point is the type of force they're generating must be so high that it's indirectly causing a shift on the earth's axis. It's not like they're burrowing deep inside the earth and tearing shiet up. Punching someone on their face and getting a result is way different than punching somone on their face, but getting the same result to some other poor schmuch's face who was standing 100 feet away.

Last edited by celeyhyga17 on Dec 16th, 2012 at 08:06 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:04 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

No. The illustration as well as the narration clearly portray an equal amount of force. Lol for you on not being able to see that. For that scan, your shared feat statement does not carry much weight. For some shared strength feats, it's a reasonable argument to bring up. This one, not so much... Smh..

So thor is strong enough to provide half the force to cause an earthquake like that was depicted in the comic and shift the planet's axis in a backup feature in the comic which was meant as comedy? Here is the full scene

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums...Thor_400-50.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums...Thor_400-51.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums...Thor_400-52.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums...Thor_400-53.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums...Thor_400-54.jpg

Hurray for him, I guess. He's strong enough to wipe post-crisis byrne era superman's shoes who provided more than half the force to bring earth to its proper axis while it was propelled to sun by a skyfather level entity.

Last edited by abhilegend on Dec 16th, 2012 at 08:13 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:05 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

The gravity doesnt mean a whole lot anyways, many spacefaring characters can actually fly through and around stars. Also? Where does that take place? Because the floor is entirely in-tact. The force of a nuetron stars worth of gravity forming on a planet would suddenly destroy it.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:06 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Yeah, but the point is the type of force they're generating must be so high that it's indirectly causing a shift on the earth's axis. It's not like they're burrowing deep inside the earth and tearing shiet up.

From the scans it kind of showed they were burrowing down (2nd panel) and destroyed an entire plateau. You can put pressure on top of a plate causing it to go underneath another, which can cause an earthquake

It's impressive sure, but proof that's planteary strength? I don't see it.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:09 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by abhilegend
One is nowhere close to being a planetary feat and other is pure silver age hyperbole. What else is being ignored here?
Midgard Serpent Feat- I think the reason the bottom panel is given is to show that it was a feat based in reality that actually effected the entire planet.

Neutron Star Gravity Feat- Probably caused Thor's body to become the equivalent of 2,030,000,000,000,000 tons.
Which isn't 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons of the Earth, but the material that enclosed around him would have been under the same gravity effect and who knows what that comes out to.
Either way, it's a nice feat.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:13 PM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Midgard Serpent Feat- I think the reason the bottom panel is given is to show that it was a feat based in reality that actually effected the entire planet.

Neutron Star Gravity Feat- Probably caused Thor's body to become the equivalent of 2,030,000,000,000,000 tons.
Which isn't 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons of the Earth, but the material that enclosed around him would have been under the same gravity effect and who knows what that comes out to.
Either way, it's a nice feat.

No, it wasn't. You can apply math only so far.

Like I said hyperbole.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:14 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

They're also 1960s feats for the most part, even if they are canon, Thor hasn't been written like that in a long time.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:16 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Well, I guess armwrestling must be 1989. Still 20+ years ago.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:18 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by Juntai
They're also 1960s feats for the most part, even if they are canon, Thor hasn't been written like that in a long time.

You're going too far back.
The Midgard Serpent one is from 1983 and the neutron star one is from 1979.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:20 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

The very idea that you have to search back into the 80s and 70s and earlier to find random scans to even attempt to match the stuff Superman does year in and year out should tell everyone who pays attention about the different brackets the characters are in. Their maxes, are his average.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:24 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Hulk in the last couple of years is the only one to match Superman's consistency involving big time in and out of combat feats, and it took canonically the strongest version of the character to match those averages.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:28 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

From the scans it kind of showed they were burrowing down (2nd panel) and destroyed an entire plateau. You can put pressure on top of a plate causing it to go underneath another, which can cause an earthquake

It's impressive sure, but proof that's planteary strength? I don't see it.

Whoah! I know wut ure saying, but that's a little too much reality there. Dunno bout that, but I'm simply going by what the narrator says about enough force to put the planet out of its orbit. I don't remember the narrator saying they're causing an earthquake.
Originally posted by Juntai
The very idea that you have to search back into the 80s and 70s and earlier to find random scans to match the stuff Superman does year in and year out should tell everyone who pays attention about the different brackets the characters are in. Their maxes, are his average.
But Thor is not always portrayed that way. Characters like Supes and Hulk are almost always tied to strength. Most of Thor's portrayals connect him with magic and Mjolnir. You'll get the occasional strength feat, but that's not his calling card. We can't just dismiss his strength feats because he's essentially the same character from those comics.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:30 PM
-K-M-

Wait? The arm-wrestling scan wasn't even on Earth.....

That brings up way to many questions, what's the size of the planet? what's the density of the planet? what's the gravity like? what's the tectonic plates like? etc etc

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:32 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

We can't just dismiss his strength feats because he's essentially the same character from those comics.
I didn't dismiss them, though I take anything gold/silver age/bronze age with a grain of salt. What I said involves the idea that someone can take any few years of Superman and match them to his greatest career feats.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:34 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

It's impressive sure, but proof that's planetary strength? I don't see it.
Tectonic strength? cool

---------------------------------

If a story had Thor 'benchpressing' the earth, I would not necessarily go wtf. Part of why I buy the feat with Supes is because of the scene with the benching machine, and the artwork itself. It all came together real nice.

If Thor benched the earth for six days, then I'd say Marvel was being...provocative.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:36 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote