KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » J.J. Abrams Set to Direct Next 'Star Wars' Film...?

J.J. Abrams Set to Direct Next 'Star Wars' Film...?
Started by: Dark Exile

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
The anti-Star Wars Trekkie fans are going to shit themselves. Now it is no longer "Star Trek" vs "Star Wars". It will be both.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 08:05 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

i did not see any attempt to appraise jj's fanboy loyalties.

i wouldn't waste time attempting to decipher ddm's thought process, but i'm fairly certain that his statement alluded to the likely prevalent fear of too many directoral similarities which might surface between ST and the new SW, which would severely annoy trekkies, among many others...myself included.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 09:31 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Abram's Star Trek movie was by far the best Trek movie Imo and brought the franchise back to the wider audience.

It was such a HUGE improvement after those embarrassing Next Gen movies.

Simply put Abram's made Star Trek "Cool" again.

If Abram's can do anything like that for SW then I think we will all be pretty happy.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 09:37 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

is it possible for you to enjoy a story's reincarnation without taking a big steamy dump all over its source material?

i enjoyed the new ST as well, and yes the ST-TNG films after first contact were embarrassing (as were eps 1,4,&5), but wrath of khan and undiscovered country were at least on par (im being generous toward abrams there).

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Last edited by focus4chumps on Jan 30th, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 10:23 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'd honestly rate FC and WOK as being better. The truth was that for most Trekkies, Abrams' movie wasn't Star Trek, but was a Star Trek movie, as contradictory as that might seem. The franchise needed a shot of life, and it got it. For that alone, Abrams needs to be commended.

That and Karl Urban as McCoy. Holy hell he was good in that role.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 10:43 PM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Has anyone seen Moviebobs anti-Abrams rant on the Escapist? It's kind of funny.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 10:50 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Nephthys
Has anyone seen Moviebobs anti-Abrams rant on the Escapist? It's kind of funny.

Just watched it... Honestly, man has a point.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 11:04 PM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by focus4chumps
is it possible for you to enjoy a story's reincarnation without taking a big steamy dump all over its source material? i enjoyed the new ST as well, and yes the ST-TNG films after first contact were embarrassing (as were eps 1,4,&5), but wrath of khan and undiscovered country were at least on par (im being generous toward abrams there)

Yes Star Trek's 2-4 were class. And it was a franchise that was still enjoyed by the wider audience at that time. 6 was ok. Nothing special tbh.

Next Gen movies ruined ST for the big screen though.

First Class was good, but still not the best acting or Direction.

But Abrams really has made the franchise back to the awsomeness and coolness and appeal it had a long time ago (ST 2-4 days). Of course we have to see if he keeps it up with the sequel.

Oh and btw I was always a big fan Star Trek. Really used to live Next Gen as a series. But the Next Gen films were just awful.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2013 11:27 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by -Pr-
The truth was that for most Trekkies, Abrams' movie wasn't Star Trek, but was a Star Trek movie, as contradictory as that might seem.

That's because it was more of a Star Wars movie than a Star Trek one. He is a great choice for the role and I eagerly anticipate what he will create.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2013 12:22 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by ares834
That's because it was more of a Star Wars movie than a Star Trek one. He is a great choice for the role and I eagerly anticipate what he will create.

Sure, but not what I meant. Star Trek movies have, for the most part, been a departure from the show. Large scale action pieces with the entire galaxy at stake rather than the very human, very complex stories that the show gave us.

The only problem is that with no show around, we have to rely on the movies for what makes Trek, Trek.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 31st, 2013 12:25 AM
queeq
Chaos

Hence Abrams reboot prolly, to depart from the show and create a momentum all by itself.

Personally I always liked the original series. But the movies... well, they were always kinda boring. Wrath of Khan is fine, I liked First Contact a lot, but somehow these movies always felt like extracted tv shows. The ST credo of technological advance will benefit universal peace felt overblown and pretentious in the movies. And yes I agree, Abrams made ST cool and vivid and well, better paced... More like a spectacle. Is that good or bad? I dunno, I am not a Trekkie.... but I certainly enjoyed the movie a lot more than the other ST movies.

(But maybe that was because Abrams turned ST into SW... SHHHHHHHHH... don't tell anyone. wink )

Old Post Jan 31st, 2013 08:11 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phinney6
consiglieri

Gotta say that I've grown into an Star Trek Original Series fan. Not so much the other series', but the first cast was great. I enjoyed all of the movies and I agree with what Queeq is saying about Abrams. I also hope he does get a chance to direct the new Star Wars movies.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2013 08:18 AM
Click here to Send phinney6 a Private Message Find more posts by phinney6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Looks like he does.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2013 07:28 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 07:49 AM
Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe... lens flare city.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2013 10:20 AM