KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » KMC Writer's Tournament

KMC Writer's Tournament
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

i think what people are looking for is a screenplay

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 12:19 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
cool. i disagree with you though but not for the reasons you may think. novels aren't written in script form BECAUSE they remain purely literary. like these stories will. scripts are written with the INTENT of having a visual component--and most comics (once one has become a pro or semi-pro) are written in CONJUNCTION with an artist who helps with the visual ideas. since these stories will not have either an artist to help formulate the visuals, or any hope of becoming real comics or movies, the script is very limiting in the sense that the author can't create visuals in a traditional sense. i've read (and even helped edit) a few scripts as well, and can say with all honesty that while some have been good, a good script can't equal a good book, imho. why? because a script is an unrealized creation. once the script becomes what it is SUPPOSED to be (a movie/play) well, that's a different story altogether. and if good writing is indeed good writing, then the format shouldn't really matter.

anywho, good luck with the idea. thumb up

I honestly don't agree to a point, unless I'm misunderstanding. I know that a lot of the times an artist will have input, even to a large extent, but unless they're writing the book too, the artist tends to take a back seat until the script arrives. Look at say, Geoff Johns for example. His scripts are pretty definitive in what he wants, and it's up to the artist to provide that.

I'm not saying that every writer is like that; obviously the levels of interaction are going to vary, but I honestly have no doubt that writers are able to give the reader something to visualise even without the artist's input.

Imo, in a lot of cases a comic book writer is a writer and a director at the same time.

Originally posted by psycho gundam
i think what people are looking for is a screenplay

Possibly.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 12:25 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by -Pr-
I honestly don't agree to a point, unless I'm misunderstanding. I know that a lot of the times an artist will have input, even to a large extent, but unless they're writing the book too, the artist tends to take a back seat until the script arrives. Look at say, Geoff Johns for example. His scripts are pretty definitive in what he wants, and it's up to the artist to provide that.

I'm not saying that every writer is like that; obviously the levels of interaction are going to vary, but I honestly have no doubt that writers are able to give the reader something to visualise even without the artist's input.

Imo, in a lot of cases a comic book writer is a writer and a director at the same time.

Possibly.

you could both be right on, and like i said, it's his idea so clearly if he's looking for script style prose, then that's what it is.

and i agree with you to a point as well--there is certainly SOME level of visuals produced via a script, but the details are explicit and simple--they are directions, as opposed to prose--because he's simply directing the artist what to draw, but the artist brings the writing to life. by that i mean the writer need not describe what the sky looks like beyond "it's night", and loads of other minutiae that would be required from another style. the description can afford to be sparse BECAUSE the artist will finish it. the script is an unfinished product in a movie or play is all's i'm saying.

now, to a different point--do comic writers ever USE scripts of this nature? if so, even more power to bw and his idea. but in any type of submission requirements i've ever seen, there has been no mention of script style submissions. nor was i aware of this style of writing being done pre-artistic rendering. but.....i could very well be wrong in that regard.

like i said, it's a cool idea, just not for me this style, but hopefully it garners a little attention from others.

Last edited by leonidas on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 05:59 AM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 05:56 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

you could both be right on, and like i said, it's his idea so clearly if he's looking for script style prose, then that's what it is.

and i agree with you to a point as well--there is certainly SOME level of visuals produced via a script, but the details are explicit and simple--they are directions, as opposed to prose--because he's simply directing the artist what to draw, but the artist brings the writing to life. by that i mean the writer need not describe what the sky looks like beyond "it's night", and loads of other minutiae that would be required from another style. the description can afford to be sparse BECAUSE the artist will finish it. the script is an unfinished product in a movie or play is all's i'm saying.

now, to a different point--do comic writers ever USE scripts of this nature? if so, even more power to bw and his idea. but in any type of submission requirements i've ever seen, there has been no mention of script style submissions. nor was i aware of this style of writing being done pre-artistic rendering. but.....i could very well be wrong in that regard.

like i said, it's a cool idea, just not for me this style, but hopefully it garners a little attention from others.

I agree about the level of visual cues needed differing.

Use what kind? the screenplay kind?

This is the kind I've modelled myself on for a while; it's Johns' when he wrote Green Lantern (skip to the fourth page of the pdf for the actual comic):

http://comicbookscriptarchive.com/g...eenlantern1.pdf

Here's a Grant Morrison one too:

http://comicbookscriptarchive.com/g...nvisibles_1.txt

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 06:06 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Can you write a crossover featuring multiple characters/teams?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 07:05 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Like PR posted, the comic-book script is similar but a bit different from the movie script. I remember Kirkman also released some from the first Invincible issues he did.

I'd love to throw my hat in smile

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 07:28 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by -Pr-
I agree about the level of visual cues needed differing.

Use what kind? the screenplay kind?

This is the kind I've modelled myself on for a while; it's Johns' when he wrote Green Lantern (skip to the fourth page of the pdf for the actual comic):

http://comicbookscriptarchive.com/g...eenlantern1.pdf

Here's a Grant Morrison one too:

http://comicbookscriptarchive.com/g...nvisibles_1.txt

huh. those are helpful. makes sense what bw's looking for in light of that. thanks. thumb up

still don't think that's up my alley, but i liked the second one better--a little less formal, i like that the panels are left out and there is less overall direction it seems to me. maybe i could do something in that style, but not sure that would be acceptable for this.

on a separate, but somewhat related topic--do you know why this group of forums doesn't have a fan-fic forum? i've seen other comic forums (have never joined or commented anywhere else though i don't think....) but the ones i've seen i THINK have a fan-fic section. has kmc ever considered starting one?

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 01:35 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

huh. those are helpful. makes sense what bw's looking for in light of that. thanks. thumb up

still don't think that's up my alley, but i liked the second one better--a little less formal, i like that the panels are left out and there is less overall direction it seems to me. maybe i could do something in that style, but not sure that would be acceptable for this.

on a separate, but somewhat related topic--do you know why this group of forums doesn't have a fan-fic forum? i've seen other comic forums (have never joined or commented anywhere else though i don't think....) but the ones i've seen i THINK have a fan-fic section. has kmc ever considered starting one?
To answer your question on fan-fics.

We have the General Fiction area which allows people to right stories on whatever they want which would include fan-fiction if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f53/

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 02:57 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Newjak
To answer your question on fan-fics.

We have the General Fiction area which allows people to right stories on whatever they want which would include fan-fiction if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f53/

huh. again i learn something. smile doesn't seem too oft used though. maybe if this were posted there it might bump some hits over there? i didn't even know that forum existed. laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 02:59 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

laughing out loud Leo, you have me so confused. The second example - Grant Morrison's - is almost identical to a movie script save how he has the persons name next to the dialogue and a few other minor details. In a script, the persons name is above their dialogue. But that's not that important. I also said not to include panels (mostly because we don't have artists to do anything with them). So, if you want to write in Grant Morrison's style, then go for it since it is just a slightly more lax version of what I had in mind. No one will be judging on margins or be strict on improper form. The idea was just to get as close to comic style writing as possible without worrying about artists (due to the inability to have people draw the stuff.) Thus, movie scripts seemed like the logical choice - or at least a variation of what we can do.

Just as an example of a pure movie script, here is Batman Begins:
http://media.nolanfans.com/screenpl...gins_script.pdf

Originally posted by curryman
Like PR posted, the comic-book script is similar but a bit different from the movie script. I remember Kirkman also released some from the first Invincible issues he did.

I'd love to throw my hat in smile

thumb up

So we have:
PR
Oliver North
Curry Man

Need at the very, very least two more writers.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Last edited by Blair Wind on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 04:33 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 04:21 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

huh. again i learn something. smile doesn't seem too oft used though. maybe if this were posted there it might bump some hits over there? i didn't even know that forum existed. laughing out loud
Yeah it doesn't get much attention. I was involved in a general writing tournament back a couple of years that's how I knew about it stick out tongue.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 04:38 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Blair Wind
laughing out loud Leo, you have me so confused. The second example - Grant Morrison's - is almost identical to a movie script save how he has the persons name next to the dialogue and a few other minor details. In a script, the persons name is above their dialogue. But that's not that important. I also said not to include panels (mostly because we don't have artists to do anything with them). So, if you want to write in Grant Morrison's style, then go for it since it is just a slightly more lax version of what I had in mind. No one will be judging on margins or be strict on improper form. The idea was just to get as close to comic style writing as possible without worrying about artists (due to the inability to have people draw the stuff.) Thus, movie scripts seemed like the logical choice - or at least a variation of what we can do.

Just as an example of a pure movie script, here is Batman Begins:
http://media.nolanfans.com/screenpl...gins_script.pdf

thumb up

So we have:
PR
Oliver North
Curry Man

Need at the very, very least two more writers.

yeah, i guess they are sorta the same. the one pr posted just had some pretty good between-panel writing. not fully fleshed out, but not simple direction either. i've never written anything like that before, but i may be up to give it try. it's a lot of work though. you likely don't need more than a couple writers though, do you? i mean even if you have just 2 or 3 they can still be read and judged, and that's the point, isn't it? hell, even if just ONE person wants to try their hand, at least it's something for others to read, something we wouldn't have been introduced to without this suggestion of yours.

on that note: do we have any published writers in the forum? anyone with websites that show their stuff?

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 04:58 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Yeah, we could technically do it with just the three participants we have now. I guess I just had 5 as the minimum amount of people I'd like to see doing this so everyone feels compelled to write their best - knowing others are doing the same. If no one else signs up, I'll still go through with it. thumb up

Let me know if you want to throw your hat into the ring for sure. Like Oliver said, you could write 2 pages a week and still make the minimum page count. And I'll be talking to the judges - this tournament isn't about making anyone feel bad. I don't want anyone to be overly critical of someone's writing - the point of the judging is to guide everyone to be a better writer and reward the person who's done the best overall.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 05:04 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

I think it would be more fun if we had a couple more contestants smile

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 05:07 PM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

yeah, i guess they are sorta the same. the one pr posted just had some pretty good between-panel writing. not fully fleshed out, but not simple direction either. i've never written anything like that before, but i may be up to give it try. it's a lot of work though. you likely don't need more than a couple writers though, do you? i mean even if you have just 2 or 3 they can still be read and judged, and that's the point, isn't it? hell, even if just ONE person wants to try their hand, at least it's something for others to read, something we wouldn't have been introduced to without this suggestion of yours.

on that note: do we have any published writers in the forum? anyone with websites that show their stuff?
Come on Leo I bet it would be fun for you to right some stories. I'd be interested in seeing what you cook up.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 05:41 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

gimme a couple days to think about it. i do think it would be fun, but getting the hang of the style would be tough. then, you know, there's the whole coming up with a story thing.... laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 08:58 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Can you write a crossover featuring multiple characters/teams?

Yes.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 09:44 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I realised that I have a bunch of scenes I really want to write, but no arching plot. God dammit.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2013 10:55 PM
Badabing
Karen

I thought Digi would be all over this idea. Anyone know where he is?

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 04:17 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Nope. He hasn't been on since early January.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 03:56 PM