KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » KMC Writer's Tournament

KMC Writer's Tournament
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
I expect you to enlist in this tourney

I will, I will!!!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2013 02:41 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Bardock42
I will, I will!!!
Good

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 6th, 2013 03:09 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

Sign me up

Old Post Feb 6th, 2013 04:21 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Judges
Badabing
Newjak
Galan

Participants:
PR
Oliver North
Curryman
Starscream
Gecko
Lek Kuen
Bardock - I'm assuming from "I will, I will" you enlisted.

Possibles:
Leonidas

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - VOTE

I was asked how we were going to be submitting your writing. I have two options:

1. We word dump it into a thread specifically designed for you. For example, I'd create a thread for PR and he would upload his writing there, issue by issue. However, this can affect the formatting of your writing and I know some people get very picky about this (myself included).

2. We can use Google Drive. All you would need is a Gmail account. For those who don't know, Google Drive is basically an online version of Microsoft's Office. You can write documents, spreadsheets, power point presentations, etc. You can make those documents public or private depending on your wants. In this case, everyone would make their writing public and give us the link so we can see it. This way you have control of your formatting and it's so close to Word that you shouldn't have a problem. You can even convert your Word files into Google Doc files if you want.

What do you guys prefer?

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 06:22 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

I already have a google drive sooooo

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 07:05 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'd be fine with Google Drive. But whichever, haven't got a preference.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 07:34 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Don't have a google drive, but worst case scenario I can output as a pdf or image files and upload that way.

Individual threads may be worthwhile anyways, just for organization sake. I agree with the format thing though, if that is a strict rule for the competition we should have a medium that makes it as easy as possible.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 09:01 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Oliver North
Don't have a google drive, but worst case scenario I can output as a pdf or image files and upload that way.

Individual threads may be worthwhile anyways, just for organization sake. I agree with the format thing though, if that is a strict rule for the competition we should have a medium that makes it as easy as possible.

thumb up

All you need to have Drive is a Gmail account. Once that is made you then have a Drive folder. Plus it's free, and free is free, right?

But yes, we can individual threads with links to each person's story.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 09:23 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

So, I am just assuming here, but there is no rule against asking advice about story ideas or characters? obv no obligation to provide help, but as someone without too much experience, would I be able to ask for advice about, say, writing a character of a different ethnicity without making it too steryotypical or cliche?

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 10:20 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

That would defeat the purpose of seeing who can write the best

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 11:00 PM
tsilamini

heh, u scared bro?

wink

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 11:35 PM
Gecko4lif

That your way of asking help from a superior writer?

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 11:40 PM
tsilamini

do you know one?

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 11:42 PM
Gecko4lif

In comparison to you?

Yeah, my dog is quite the poet

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 11:55 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

So, I am just assuming here, but there is no rule against asking advice about story ideas or characters? obv no obligation to provide help, but as someone without too much experience, would I be able to ask for advice about, say, writing a character of a different ethnicity without making it too steryotypical or cliche?

Are you talking about research or actual writing?

I mean, I'd do research on past stories with my character so I get a handle on their voice and then write my own story. If I needed any particular thing I might ask a fanboy of the character - but any and all writing should be done by you (and partner if you get one).

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 11:55 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I'm fine with google drive.

Also may or may not be able to stay for the whole thig since my future work is unknown but I'll be able to do the first few for sure.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 01:04 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Gecko4lif
In comparison to you?

Yeah, my dog is quite the poet

oh snap!

Originally posted by Blair Wind
Are you talking about research or actual writing?

I mean, I'd do research on past stories with my character so I get a handle on their voice and then write my own story. If I needed any particular thing I might ask a fanboy of the character - but any and all writing should be done by you (and partner if you get one).

I just meant the actual writing for a couple of secondary characters. The main chars I am really confident with. For sure, had no interest in having someone else write it for me :P

I'm way too much of a control freak for that

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 02:23 AM
Gecko4lif

I just meant the actual writing for a couple of secondary characters. The main chars I am really confident with. For sure, had no interest in having someone else write it for me :P

I'm way too much of a control freak for that

There is no distinction

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 02:35 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Google drive sounds fine to me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 03:46 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Oh, I hope so, I'll ask my British friends Neil and Alan for some help.

Though, I assume you can get feedback on your writing, right? I mean obviously not have people write for you, but for example ask your mom whether they like the story and what they don't like, right? I feel like it would be pretty unnatural to write without getting feedback, especially cause I'm pretty sure writers for Marvel or DC do get feedback (not even to talk about the aid of an editor).

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 10:18 AM