KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » KMC Writer's Tournament

KMC Writer's Tournament
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Attention all would be comic book writers!
Damn I wish this had been done a year ago. Currently I don't have the time, but this sounds like a lot of fun*. I look forward to reading what KMC ("Killer Made Comics") will produce.

* so much so that this is the first time I've ever posted in the Battlezone.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Feb 8th, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 11:56 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh, I hope so, I'll ask my British friends Neil and Alan for some help.

Though, I assume you can get feedback on your writing, right? I mean obviously not have people write for you, but for example ask your mom whether they like the story and what they don't like, right? I feel like it would be pretty unnatural to write without getting feedback, especially cause I'm pretty sure writers for Marvel or DC do get feedback (not even to talk about the aid of an editor).

that kind of stuff is totally unenforceable anyways. We sort of have to trust that none of the writers are going to call in a ringer or have someone else do their work for them.

idk, seeing as I know there are people with more writing experience than me, I was really just looking for a tip about making characters less 2 dimensional, especially because I don't want them to come of as a stereotype.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 01:08 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

Originally posted by Oliver North
that kind of stuff is totally unenforceable anyways. We sort of have to trust that none of the writers are going to call in a ringer or have someone else do their work for them.

Anyone who that big of a loser lost in life a long time ago.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 01:20 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

oh, but they would win the internets

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 02:20 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

I just meant the actual writing for a couple of secondary characters. The main chars I am really confident with. For sure, had no interest in having someone else write it for me :P

The answer is no. I obviously can't enforce it, but I trust you won't do it. Ask them for advice, don't ask them to do the actual writing even for secondary characters unless you want to include that person in as a partner.

Oh, I hope so, I'll ask my British friends Neil and Alan for some help.

Though, I assume you can get feedback on your writing, right? I mean obviously not have people write for you, but for example ask your mom whether they like the story and what they don't like, right? I feel like it would be pretty unnatural to write without getting feedback, especially cause I'm pretty sure writers for Marvel or DC do get feedback (not even to talk about the aid of an editor).

That's perfectly fine.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 12:13 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

okay, so i have a nice preliminary idea--something sorta big and 'cosmicy'. laughing out loud just trying to work out the kinks and trying to determine whether i can get it in inside the 6 issues and what-not. even if i don't get it completely down here, i like it enough that i may consider pursuing it anyway in some format or other in some place or other. hope i can get it put together for this though.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 03:18 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

What size typeface do we have to use

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 03:22 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by leonidas
okay, so i have a nice preliminary idea--something sorta big and 'cosmicy'. laughing out loud just trying to work out the kinks and trying to determine whether i can get it in inside the 6 issues and what-not. even if i don't get it completely down here, i like it enough that i may consider pursuing it anyway in some format or other in some place or other. hope i can get it put together for this though.

KMC publishing?

stick out tongue

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 03:32 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

KMC publishing?

stick out tongue

laughing out loud

THAT would be AWESOME!!!

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 03:53 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'm pretty sure I'll write a Hellblazer story (cause I'm obsessed with him). Might set it in the regular DC universe, I have a couple ideas swirling around, but I'm pretty sure that I want it to be decidedly non-cosmic.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 09:43 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Sometime this coming week I will be opening up the thread to post the finalized concept you will be writing about. We will work out a schedule for when the first issues will be due.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 10:09 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

Originally posted by Gecko4lif
What size typeface do we have to use

Old Post Feb 9th, 2013 10:29 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

I'm pretty sure I'll write a Hellblazer story (cause I'm obsessed with him). Might set it in the regular DC universe, I have a couple ideas swirling around, but I'm pretty sure that I want it to be decidedly non-cosmic.

sounds cool. loads of potential story stuff there. i'll be trying to answer a question i've been curious about for a long time but that has never really be satisfactorily, or consistently answered in comics. besides, i like big, cool, cosmicy stories. smile

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 12:28 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'll be writing a synopsis soon enough. I just hope my rather dialogue-heavy story will resonate with people.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 05:02 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

I have a question about 16-26 pages

Even if you include detailed descriptions of the panels a comic is only gonna boil down to about 3 pages of material

unless its a Moore comic in which case it is a novel

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 05:14 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

I have a question about 16-26 pages

Even if you include detailed descriptions of the panels a comic is only gonna boil down to about 3 pages of material

unless its a Moore comic in which case it is a novel

What?

A) Look at the example I gave of a script. My rules post also includes a "How to write a script" by using a script format.

Just as an example of a pure movie script, here is Batman Begins:
http://media.nolanfans.com/screenpl...gins_script.pdf

B) Look at the examples that PR gave on comic based scripts (Grant Morrison's in particular as it has no panel)

Originally posted by -Pr-
This is the kind I've modelled myself on for a while; it's Johns' when he wrote Green Lantern (skip to the fourth page of the pdf for the actual comic):
http://comicbookscriptarchive.com/g...eenlantern1.pdf

Here's a Grant Morrison one too:
http://comicbookscriptarchive.com/g...nvisibles_1.txt

You're using place establishing shots (EXT. = Exterior, INT. = Interior, DAY or NIGHT), then your prose, and then dialogue spaced out. It shouldn't boil down to 3 pages.

Also, you asked about font: Courier New or Times New Roman. Essentially not something anyone is going to hate reading.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 05:26 AM
Bardock42

I tend to write comic scripts in panels, would that be acceptable or does it have to be movie script style. I don't mind either way, I just prefer panel style for comics.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 09:40 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

What?

A) Look at the example I gave of a script. My rules post also includes a "How to write a script" by using a script format.

its really only that long because of terribly wasteful formatting

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 10:41 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

I tend to write comic scripts in panels, would that be acceptable or does it have to be movie script style. I don't mind either way, I just prefer panel style for comics.

I think it would be easier to read movie script style simply because there won't be an artist to draw out your panels visually.

its really only that long because of terribly wasteful formatting

Which is the standard for both movie scripts and comic scripts. In movies one script page tends to be one actual minute of the movie. In a comic, one actual page.

And it's easier to read for everyone involved (and in this unique case, most importantly the judges of this tournament).

Last edited by Blair Wind on Feb 10th, 2013 at 05:24 PM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 05:21 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by leonidas

thumb up

So, I'm just going to put your name down as part of the program smile

Judges
Badabing
Newjak
Galan

Participants:
PR
Oliver North
Curryman
Starscream
Gecko
Lek Kuen
Bardock
Leonidas

We currently have 8 participants. I have to say, I'm proud of all of you for throwing your hat in. I'll be opening up a thread sometime this week for you to put your general plot/story up.

I'll PM you all individually to let you know when it is up. We could do with one or two more judges if anyone knows of anyone willing to do so.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 06:34 PM