KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » KMC Writer's Tournament

KMC Writer's Tournament
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tsilamini

So, in terms of the continuity thing, how strict do we have to be with it?

Let me explain: I hadn't, until just now, read the recent Dark Avengers or latter end of Thunderbolts, where Man-Thing is featured as part of the team. In it, they don't just alter some things about his powers or abilities, but in fact, radically redefine how the character works. Prior to this change, he was a mindless monster who could only react to the emotions of others, but now he has the mind of some ancient god or some such within him.

The big issue is, the story I want to write also includes the new Hobgoblin and recent historical events in Haiti. While the Hobgoblin thing would be possible to work around, the Haitian thing wouldn't, so I can't just set the story in the past.

In this case, if I want to use Man-Thing, do I have to use this new version, or can I use the version that existed for 30+ years? I totally understand if not, it really doesn't make sense to pull characters from different time streams for no reason, just a fairly major setback to what I thought was going to be a good story.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 06:47 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Oliver North
So, in terms of the continuity thing, how strict do we have to be with it?

Let me explain: I hadn't, until just now, read the recent Dark Avengers or latter end of Thunderbolts, where Man-Thing is featured as part of the team. In it, they don't just alter some things about his powers or abilities, but in fact, radically redefine how the character works. Prior to this change, he was a mindless monster who could only react to the emotions of others, but now he has the mind of some ancient god or some such within him.

The big issue is, the story I want to write also includes the new Hobgoblin and recent historical events in Haiti. While the Hobgoblin thing would be possible to work around, the Haitian thing wouldn't, so I can't just set the story in the past.

In this case, if I want to use Man-Thing, do I have to use this new version, or can I use the version that existed for 30+ years? I totally understand if not, it really doesn't make sense to pull characters from different time streams for no reason, just a fairly major setback to what I thought was going to be a good story.

I was gonna go the Thor: Vikings route and just leave it vague

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 07:00 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Just pretend that your stories are alternate reality versions. Pick and choose the things from Marvel or DC you want to keep. It doesn't have to be in continuity, but it can be if you wish.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 07:01 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

alright, cool smile thanks

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 07:06 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'm rectonning certain things, because **** Marvel.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 11th, 2013 07:51 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

This is looking good, I'm excited to see what people post.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 11th, 2013 06:39 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by -Pr-
because **** Marvel.

amen brother

Old Post Feb 11th, 2013 07:24 PM
Bardock42

I've been getting into Marvel again recently.

I don't have anything else to add, just that.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2013 10:16 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I really don't feel confident enough to write in the tournament.... yet my idea I feel shouldn't go to waste... maybe I can give ideas to someone else.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 07:51 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Just write it dude. Not being rude; just saying, what's the worst that can happen? Some people on the internet don't like it?

Originally posted by Bardock42
I've been getting into Marvel again recently.

I don't have anything else to add, just that.

I try, every few months, to get back in to Marvel, or more specifically, X-Men.

I can sit and read Thor, Iron Man, Daredevil, Hulk and the Avengers vs the world book and feel like I'm reading a good comic. It's just hard to get over what they're doing to X-Men.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 08:09 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

The thing is I don't have an entire story planned out, and I don't think I can come up with enough material to meet the requirements.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 10:24 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

idk, I'd still say go for it. I've always wanted to write something, had some ideas kicking around, but never got around to it. having some pressure to actually come up with ideas and produce a proposal and issues has been really helpful in that way, something that may even help me get my own stories started beyond the writers tourney.

necessity being the mother of invention and all that

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 05:47 PM
Bardock42

So, what was your idea?

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 05:47 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by Endless Mike
I really don't feel confident enough to write in the tournament.... yet my idea I feel shouldn't go to waste... maybe I can give ideas to someone else.
don't be such a pu$$y

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 08:45 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Endless Mike
The thing is I don't have an entire story planned out, and I don't think I can come up with enough material to meet the requirements.
You'd be surprised at how much more you have than you realize.

Once you start typing things out, it's you might find you feel you don't have enough time or space to put down all your ideas or words.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 08:58 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I wanna judge

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 11:08 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Newjak
You'd be surprised at how much more you have than you realize.

Once you start typing things out, it's you might find you feel you don't have enough time or space to put down all your ideas or words.

Yup. It can easily happen.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 12th, 2013 11:11 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by Zack Fair
I wanna judge

thumb up

Judges
Badabing
Newjak
Galan
Zack Fair

Participants:
PR
Oliver North
Curryman
Starscream
Gecko
Lek Kuen
Bardock
Leonidas

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Feb 13th, 2013 02:23 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Shuma-Gorath invades Asgard and nearly kills Odin. Dr. Strange has an intense battle to defeat Shuma, but then the LT reveals that the balance of magical power in the omniverse is becoming disordered because an evil alternate version of Strange has been using the Staff of Polar Power to gather all of the mystic power in reality to himself, 616 Strange fights him but gets owned, then he and Thor have to team up with Galactus, gather the Infinity Gems, and try to face the evil Strange.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 13th, 2013 02:53 AM
One Big Mob
Dead

Couple questions, don't know if you answered them, but anyway:

Do you have to label panels and pages and what is happening on each one? Because this could get tedious fast for if I wanted to write something.
Or could we just let it flow, and the readers pick for themselves what happened on what pages?

And, how many characters (by this I mean the 10000 character limit) on average would your standard issue be? How many posts? 1 full post, 2 posts, etc?

And, if we finished it all, could we drop multiple issues at once, or do we have to wait? 6 months is a lot of time to wait if you're proud of your post and you want people to see it.
I understand if not though. However, what about bi-weekly, or weekly?

I'm going to write up one "issue" regardless before I officially sign up.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2013 06:33 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote