KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Orson Scott Card, outspoken anti-gay marriage gent, to write new Superman comic

Orson Scott Card, outspoken anti-gay marriage gent, to write new Superman comic
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

Re: Orson Scott Card, outspoken anti-gay marriage gent, to write new Superman comic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon

Lots of people are raging about this.

Lots of people rage about a lot of things where comic book fans are concerned. It was only a month or three ago that the writer of Spider-Man was receiving literal death threats for the stories he recently wrote.

"Asking for workplace discrimination for any reason is counterproductive for those who want to end discrimination on their own behalf."

Not sure if I agree here. There are definitely some things people have done in the past that should disqualify them from working in certain fields or on certain projects.

I ... don't think Card will sneak anything anti-gay into his work:
DC wouldn't stand for it.

Also, Card is not really anti-gay, he's anti-gay marriage.
Or I could be mistaken...and he's really a homophobe?

Much will depend on how you define "anti-gay".
Joe Kelly wrote a story where Supergirl talks about the importance of family in one of DC's annuals a few years back, for instance.
Talked of the responsibility a man has to his wife and child.
Made for a very good story, and, as far as I know, was well-received.

Could Orson Scott Card write such a story without being called "anti-gay"? Even it were virtually identical text-wise?

Some people are guaranteed to interpret his work based on what is being said about him in Internet Circles now, and likely won't even realize that they're doing so when that happens.

Yea? Nay? Bad or good?

If this thread exists, let me know. I did not want to put this in the GDF because I am more interested in the implications for Superman's character and reputation rather than a gay-marriage discussion.

I don't think DC loses anything by having controversial people on staff.
The media buzz generates interest and gets people curious.
Publicity is rarely a bad thing.

As far as Superman's character and reputation go; well, I personally never heard of O.Scott Card before this week, and I doubt the casual reader of Superman would have, either.

So how would this affect the Man of Steel, the content of the stories, at all? Superman has always been a character for family and tradition.

If Card follows his own apparent bent, it will remain that way.
It's nothing new.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2013 08:11 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Superman believes in freedom; he'd never support anything that discriminates against people. At least not in this day and age.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 13th, 2013 08:25 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SMIFF-N-WESSON

Angry

Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman believes in freedom; he'd never support anything that discriminates against people. At least not in this day and age.

You're real lucky that you typed that last sentence...

I was about to show you how racist Superman (writers) could be.

Especially with the shellacking of Asian soldiers with buck teeth or when Lois was turned Black for a day and Clark was imbrued with reticence.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 04:04 AM
SMIFF-N-WESSON is currently offline Click here to Send SMIFF-N-WESSON a Private Message Find more posts by SMIFF-N-WESSON Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SMIFF-N-WESSON

Think im lying?

Attachment: lois.jpg
This has been downloaded 24 time(s).

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 04:07 AM
SMIFF-N-WESSON is currently offline Click here to Send SMIFF-N-WESSON a Private Message Find more posts by SMIFF-N-WESSON Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Right now it occurs to me that this topic must have been explored before, but, it would be interesting to see if Superman consistently reflects the mainstream views of his day.

Characters at other companies could be counter-culture or revolutionary or tackles issues Big Blue writers would avoid.
Immediately coming to mind is how Stan Lee tackled the prevalence of drug abuse back in the 1970s in the pages of Spider-Man.
Likewise the hiring and struggle of minority groups.

I believe Lee at Marvel was the first, and, although I am certain Superman writers EVENTUALLY followed him, I am also certain such did not take place until after successful sales had "proven" it safe for DC to pursue such storylines.
Such seems to have always been the case. At least from the 1960s to the present day.

Superman may be a leader in the fictional comic hero community; unlike Spider-Man, however, he has not proven much of a leader in the real world.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2013 05:21 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote