KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Grant Morrison's Multiversity

Grant Morrison's Multiversity
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
i assume we are to assume that the two-faced and the quest for the artifacts was instigated by the gentry, right? and i presume the society book that followed the first multiversity issue was intended to be a 'comic' book warning to other comic characters--immortal man's reality is a 'comic' in some alternate world and that world's heroes are supposed to read it and realize it was an ACTUAL warning? and do you assume immortal man's world....died when uotan was summoned at the end?

all the meta text is cool, but trying to summarize it and really understand what is happening is a wee bit challenging.....
"The Society of Super-Heroes" book was definitely intended as a warning to the alternate worlds... We actually saw characters reading it in "The Just"(it was one of the books that made Batman understand the threat at hand):
http://i.imgur.com/6kxnUrC.jpg
And yeah, I presume Immortal Man's world was destroyed upon Nix being awakened.

Tbh, I think Multiversity is an event that won't fully 'click' until it has concluded, and we are free to sit down to read all of the issues sequentially in one sitting. You're definitely not going to catch/remember every little detail in a series with this much depth the first time around... Especially with the issues scattered monthly like they are.

I dig this concept tremendously. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 25th, 2014 at 02:48 PM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 02:34 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Galan007
"The Society of Super-Heroes" book was definitely intended as a warning to the alternate worlds... We actually saw characters reading it in "The Just"(it was one of the books that made Batman understand the threat at hand):
http://i.imgur.com/6kxnUrC.jpg
And yeah, I presume Immortal Man's world was destroyed upon Nix being awakened.

Tbh, I think Multiversity is an event that won't fully 'click' until it has concluded, and we are free to sit down to read all of the issues sequentially in one sitting. You're definitely not going to catch/remember every little detail in a series with this much depth the first time around... Especially with the issues scattered monthly like they are.

I dig this concept tremendously. thumb up

i just dl'd the just and will read it later today. the concept is very cool. i'm really curious about the gentry and who they are. hopefully we get some cool story for them and why they are apparently so utterly uber. the concept of nix is interesting. he seems to have become a villain as of the first issue. since he is a villain, i'm really curious just who is going to be powerful enough to overcome not only him, but the rest of the gentry as well. i guess as per infinite crisis, they will still use the monitor tech somehow. maybe nix or the other monitors have a contingency plan in case nix fell? i mean honestly, one random artifact--the eternal key--let two-faced destroy an entire reality. like i said, i assume the gentry are behind the villains and the artifacts that are being uncovered but i wonder why? a distraction is what lex said, but a distraction to draw away from what?

did you notice that each of the multiversity books are #1's? does that mean each will have a mini-series itself? so many questions! laughing out loud looking forward to the answers....

Old Post Oct 25th, 2014 04:10 PM
leonidas is online now! Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

I'm beginning to think that maybe the main threat (or one of them) that the Gentry will pose in this series is an attack on our very own Earth/universe. It seems that while all the other one-shots act as windows into the realities of other universes, the seventh one-shot, Ultraa Comics, is being disguised as a window into our reality but is actually rather a weapon against it and possibly a member of the Gentry?

The idea being presented so far is that there are some deadly hypnotic messages hidden within the story and that it's quite literally haunted (so maybe the spirit of one of the Gentry is tied to it) and that we shouldn't buy/read it. If we go back to the concept of the hypersigil, it could possibly represent a reality for our universe that the Gentry wish to create, and that only by reading it can we give it power over our reality.

It'll be interesting to see how such a threat would be resolved, but if Grant Morrison is going fully meta with this could it possibly end up being a commentary on comicbook sales/readership (and far less likely, on digital comics or comic piracy)?

Or what if the Gentry end up winning? If Grant Morrison is going with the hypersigil concept, it wouldn't have to completely resemble our universe but simply model it in some way, so maybe if we're presented with a really bleak reality, it might simply be a commentary about our own present day society and aspects of it that are wrong/messed up.

Probably won't be that at all but it'll be really interesting to see what Grant Morrison does with this. He describes the seventh one-shot as "the most advanced thing I've ever done. I'm so excited about this. It's just taking something that used to be done in comics and captions that they don't do anymore and turning it into a technique, a weapon, but beyond that I don't want to say. It's a haunted comic book, actually, it's the most frightening thing anyone will ever read. It's actually haunted—if you read this thing, you'll become possessed."

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 02:58 PM
appletonia is currently offline Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appletonia
major studmuffin

How do people rate/rank the issues so far out of curiosity? For me:

Opening issue - 9.5
S.O.S. - 7.6
The Just - 8.4

27/01/16 - DarthAnt66 - 91 days

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 03:02 PM
appletonia is currently offline Click here to Send appletonia a Private Message Find more posts by appletonia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by appletonia
I'm beginning to think that maybe the main threat (or one of them) that the Gentry will pose in this series is an attack on our very own Earth/universe. It seems that while all the other one-shots act as windows into the realities of other universes, the seventh one-shot, Ultraa Comics, is being disguised as a window into our reality but is actually rather a weapon against it and possibly a member of the Gentry?
Ultra Comics is the one book that has been featured/mentioned in every Multiversity issue so far--it must be of extreme significance. I think an in-universe comic featuring 'our' universe would be a brilliant move, personally. I actually hope Morrison does something innovative like that at some point during Multiversity. This series... It's a game-changer. thumb up

He describes the seventh one-shot as "the most advanced thing I've ever done. I'm so excited about this. It's just taking something that used to be done in comics and captions that they don't do anymore and turning it into a technique, a weapon, but beyond that I don't want to say. It's a haunted comic book, actually, it's the most frightening thing anyone will ever read. It's actually haunted—if you read this thing, you'll become possessed."
If that promo doesn't get you pumped, you're probably dickless. thumb up

How do people rate/rank the issues so far out of curiosity? For me:

Opening issue - 9.5
S.O.S. - 7.6
The Just - 8.4
For me:
Multiversity #1=9.0
Secret Society of Super-Heroes #1=8.8
The Just #1=8.3

I'm trying to reserve higher ratings because I have a feeling that subsequent issues will blow these out of the water.

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 30th, 2014 at 03:59 PM

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 03:57 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Multiversity #1= 10
SOS= 8
Just= 7

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 08:47 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

so, i'm still interested, and confused, with regards to how fight for the multiverse ties into multiversity.... SPOILERS:

the heroes in FftM just found nix on nil and actually....found a way to use his tech that even he couldn't. not sure how i feel about that exactly. i thought nix was the all-knowing sort, but guess not. but still--i thought nix had long ago become one of the gentry?? how the hell is he still in the overvoid?? i really can't figure out how this series ties into the main multiversity series at all. brainiac seemed like the big villain at the end of the FftM arc, but i still don't have any idea how he's involved on a more macroscopic level (ie--in relation to the gentry and the comic book and all that....) keeping fingers crossed that this all comes together in the end.

ps--gaslit luthor is great.... lol and he's gonna be a BIG problem at some point in the futire.... was it gaslit batman who fought dracula once upon a time in a graphic novel? i think it was called red rain. i have it somewhere but i'm not sure where. i recall absolutely loving that story....

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 05:28 PM
leonidas is online now! Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Tbh I'm not sure that FFTM will even tie-into Multiversity. Remember, Morrison has been working on Multiversity for YEARS now--FFTM definitely wasn't something he would have considered while writing it. /shrug

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 10:09 PM
Senor Cage

FFTM is just a digital comic. All the digital comics are in their own continuity. Like Injustice.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 10:17 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

BTW, looks like there is no end in site for FFTM. It's still continuing in January.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 10:17 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Golgo13
FFTM is just a digital comic. All the digital comics are in their own continuity. Like Injustice.
Injustice is centered in a single universe, though--we know it's non-canon to mainstream DC. Conversely, FFTM involves the entire multiverse--so if you're saying that FFTM exists entirely within its own continuity(ie. a divergent multiverse), then it makes DC-creation no less than a megaverse these days...

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 10:31 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Galan007
Injustice is centered in a single universe, though--we know it's non-canon to mainstream DC. Conversely, FFTM involves the entire multiverse--so if you're saying that FFTM exists entirely within its own continuity(ie. a divergent multiverse), then it makes DC-creation no less than a megaverse these days...

Yeah, but the universes that are involved haven't been mentioned in Morrison's map of his Multiverse, correct?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 10:45 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Golgo13
Yeah, but the universes that are involved haven't been mentioned in Morrison's map of his Multiverse, correct?
Dunno right off hand... I'd have to go back and check.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 10:52 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

so you're thinking that this fight for the multiverse has nothing to do with multiversity? hmm, seems like coincidental timing then.... i just assumed the 2 were connected. nix talking about multiversal threats? gotta say they seem tied together to me. if not, then it's really kinda....dumb, that nix has made an appearance. the series should then be set in the past, unless it was just one of his 52 doubles that the gentry captured....? that really demeans the fact that he turned though. if the 2 series' are not related, then the timing is pretty damn confusing imo....

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:06 PM
Senor Cage

Isn't FFTM made because of the VIDEO GAME that came out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infini...28video_game%29

Look at the featured universes. Seems to go hand and hand with the digital comic.

quote:
The following universes are featured in this game:

Prime Earth (Earth-0): This world is the keystone that the Multiverse resides on.

Arcane Earth (Earth-13): A world where the Shadow League (a group of twisted sorcerers) lusted for control over Earth where one of their plans ended up extinguishing their sun. Even though the sun was reignited, the Earth was forever altered by the magic that is loose on Earth.

Atomic Earth (Earth-17): A world where atomic attacks during the Cold War have vaporized 97% of all life on Earth. Although the survivors hoped that the Earth would heal, their scars from the war wouldn't.

Gaslight Earth (Earth-19): A Victorian era-themed world where society was revolutionized through steam technology.

Mecha Earth (Earth-44): A technology-enhanced world where there were no heroes until a group of scientists called the Justice Consortium created them.

Nightmare Earth (Earth-43): A world in which heroes and villains were twisted into monsters.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:29 PM
ares834

Originally posted by leonidas
so you're thinking that this fight for the multiverse has nothing to do with multiversity? hmm, seems like coincidental timing then.... i just assumed the 2 were connected. nix talking about multiversal threats? gotta say they seem tied together to me. if not, then it's really kinda....dumb, that nix has made an appearance. the series should then be set in the past, unless it was just one of his 52 doubles that the gentry captured....? that really demeans the fact that he turned though. if the 2 series' are not related, then the timing is pretty damn confusing imo....

52 doubles?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:32 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

yeah, nix split himself into 52 'other selves', one for each universe. all of them died except for the one on nil.

maybe i'm way off for thinking the 2 series' are linked. the timing just seemed....perfect and the fact that both were dealing with multiversal threats? if they really aren't linked at all it just seems pretty odd given the similarities in the problems being faced. i just assumed the gentry was behind events in FftM as i just assumed (perhaps incorrectly apparently) the 52 in the orrery were the same. if they are different that's....weird, as both are dealing with the multiverse. hrm.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 11:54 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

We might be dealing with multiple multiverses, then

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2014 08:09 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

http://rikdad.blogspot.in/2014/11/m...ty-message.html

Some very good interpretations IMO. I like this part.

quote:
In Action #17, Superdoom describes itself to Superman as, "An unstoppable killer franchise from a parallel reality. A thought that gets bigger the more you think of it. The thought of a Superman better than you! The thought of a bigger Superman. A stronger, more ruthless Superman. … powered by a simple corporate directive: Annihilate the competition! … Your replacement."

Damn, Morrison is a genius.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2014 04:53 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Jim Lee joins Morrison on Multiversity.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?...le&id=57128

Old Post Nov 17th, 2014 01:31 AM