KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Alien: Covenant

Alien: Covenant
Started by: steverules_2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (64): « First ... « 60 61 [62] 63 64 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

Forbes names it the X-Men Apocalypse of the Alien franchise:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...e-alien-series/

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:28 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ Fuck, China did save it. It's currently at $215 million worldwide.

I even read that China censored the shit out of the film, too. Wow...

Well, it'll be interesting to see what Fox does with this, because it clearly pissed off a lot of fans and didn't do nearly what it should have done financially, BUT it was still profitable thanks to the relatively cheap production budget.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:39 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Slightly Profitable, but clearly a massive box office disappointment. So If they make more they will make changes.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:42 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Well, after this abomination the series is probably irredeemable to me. And I was a pretty dedicated Alien fan. When you can enjoy the original 4 films on a certain level (yes, including Resurrection) then you're willing to put up with a lot. But Covenant was too much. Ridley has either lost sight of how to proceed with his universe, or he's lost control of it. Either way it's bankrupt... RIP Alien Franchise.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:58 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Forbes names it the X-Men Apocalypse of the Alien franchise:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...e-alien-series/
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ Fuck, China did save it. It's currently at $215 million worldwide.

I even read that China censored the shit out of the film, too. Wow...

Well, it'll be interesting to see what Fox does with this, because it clearly pissed off a lot of fans and didn't do nearly what it should have done financially, BUT it was still profitable thanks to the relatively cheap production budget.

Fox might have a hit-or-miss X-Men franchise and put Alien and Independence Day in the tank, but by-golly they've still got to make Avatar, Kingsman, and Ice Age flounder before you completely go mad, Leech laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 12:07 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

We need to see a Pred have a fight with an Engineer on screen, Its already happen with the recent comics.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 01:22 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Ridley has either lost sight of how to proceed with his universe, or he's lost control of it. Either way it's bankrupt... RIP Alien Franchise.

I still give Ridley the benefit of doubt.
I still get the impression he was given carte blanche & his intentions were pure. Then HollyWood sucker punched him with the franchise angle once production hit that point of no return.

I just watched American Gangster for the 1st time & that reinforced what a talented director he is/was.

A simple good cop taking down the bad guy plot.
But the "twist" being neither antagonist or protagonist never actually interact 'til the end was brilliant story telling & a strong form of character building.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 01:39 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Then HollyWood sucker punched him with the franchise angle once production hit that point of no return.

I'm not really sure what you mean by that...

But my take is that he did have pure intensions and even a good, mysterious angle with Prometheus, but fans bitched because there were no exact aliens. I really think it's as simple as that. He's said as much in interviews. And he thought he could turn it into some endless Star Wars-esque nostalgia train (also mentioned that in an interview). Because that's exactly what so many Alien fans wanted to see: the alien get blown out of another fucking airlock... lol

You just have to shake your head and laugh at this point, it's such a farce. laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 02:37 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I'm just saying 3 different titles meant 3 different storylines.
Juz feels like Hollywood execs were really pressuring him to come up with a franchise-able plot.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 02:59 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I'm just saying 3 different titles meant 3 different storylines.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Juz feels like Hollywood execs were really pressuring him to come up with a franchise-able plot.

That's very likely, but it's also still conjecture. We're probably not going to know for sure whether he decided himself to go in this direction just from fan direction or if the studio pushed him. But the studio did originally come to him to do something different, because they didn't want just another Alien movie.

So whether the studio coerced him or not, either way the fans bitching is what caused it.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 03:32 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Ridley went from Prometheus II to Paradise Lost to Covenant...3 titles, 3 different plots.

I can't see Ridley bowing to fan direction...more like the marketing dept trolling all the movie message boards & telling the producers & execs what direction togo with.

Ridley made so many conflicting interviews, it was like he was in constant damage control.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 06:39 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Ridley made so many conflicting interviews, it was like he was in constant damage control.

Yeah, it did sort of seem that way. But like I've said before, there really wasn't as much damage as it may have seemed, because the Prometheus haters were much louder than the ones who liked it.

Fox should have let Ridley continue what he wanted to do from the start of Prometheus, even keep the same writer(s), Spaihts and Lindelof. Because interrupting that just made a huge mess. And if it was the studio forcing Ridley (unless he was under contract and couldn't get away) he should have threatened to leave. But he's not like that apparently, he just really likes making these movies. Apparently he just doesn't care about quality anymore unfortunately.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 08:03 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Jesus, I just realized that AC is already at my cheap theater. It appeared in the cheap theater less than a month after release.

That's really bad.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2017 03:22 PM
Darth Thor

Looks like Sequel is going ahead and Engineers will return:

http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/...covenant-sequel

Old Post Jun 21st, 2017 05:04 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Thanks a lot, China. Now this abomination has to continue... lol

Old Post Jun 21st, 2017 05:14 PM
Ascendancy

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Looks like Sequel is going ahead and Engineers will return:

http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/...covenant-sequel

I can't believe how hopeful people in that post are. I have zero belief in what's to come. If somehow Scott turns it around, great, I'll be surprised, but this is one film I won't be keeping track of.

Even Prometheus had some major flaws that could have been done with out, yet Scott went straight off the deep end with Covenant. Ah well, maybe Mr. District 9 will actually get a shot one day.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2017 10:01 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Don't watch it then and spare the world your tears

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2017 11:32 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Ascendancy
Ah well, maybe Mr. District 9 will actually get a shot one day.

Read somewhere he just opened up his own production company & the sequel to D9 may be his first project.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2017 12:54 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Goddamn, looking at the reviews on IMDB it looks like 90% of the people on there were just as pissed as I was...

click

Titles like...

"WTH went wrong here?"

"Horrible movie! Super disappointing and not worth your time"

"What a joke"

"Dreadful in every way"

"Corporate product"

"Immensely Disappointing Film That shouldn't Be Praised For It's Mediocrity"

"RIP Alien"

"Insulting Piece of Idiocy"

Old Post Jun 29th, 2017 07:29 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Goddamn, looking at the reviews on IMDB it looks like 90% of the people on there were just as pissed as I was...

click

Titles like...

"WTH went wrong here?"

"Horrible movie! Super disappointing and not worth your time"

"What a joke"

"Dreadful in every way"

"Corporate product"

"Immensely Disappointing Film That shouldn't Be Praised For It's Mediocrity"

"RIP Alien"

"Insulting Piece of Idiocy"

Let it go, man.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 29th, 2017 09:34 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote