KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Captain Atom ( Monarch ) vs Galactus.

Captain Atom ( Monarch ) vs Galactus.
Started by: lawest9

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Galactus takes this with ease, imo.

Monarch is at the lower-end of the Skyfather tier, at best. Galactus is... Significantly above that.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:18 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Galactus takes this with ease, imo.

Monarch is at the lower-end of the Skyfather tier, at best. Galactus is... Significantly above that.

thumb up

Odin was able to warp universal scale destructive energies with a gesture in Fraction's run of Thor.

Galactus, by all rights, should no sell it outright if not absorb it.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:20 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by xJLxKing
Can you post where he takes a hit from a universal explosion?

His birth occurred in the midst of the Big Bang. It's right there in his respect thread:

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:21 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
thumb up

Odin was able to warp universal scale destructive energies with a gesture in Fraction's run of Thor.

Galactus, by all rights, should no sell it outright if not absorb it.

My thinking as well. IIRC Galactus was depicted eating a magical realm (I want to say Agamatto's realm, but I can't remember off hand).

To zopzop's point, the machinery is more efficient but it's not Galactus's only means and when pressed he can perform the task himself. It's analogous to preparing and cooking your meal versus eating it raw. Galactus has the means to regulate the flow of energy intake and contain the blast on his own.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:39 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
The Weeknd

Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Seeing how Galactus was born in the midst of the original Big Bang, I doubt that Monarch being breached is going to be a major problem for him.

Oh it will be, because unlike the time he was born into the current universe, he won't have Eternity looking out for him in this fight :
(please log in to view the image)
And I don't think that Monarch's explosion was an actual "Big Bang" creation event similar to what happened with Imperiex. It was just a universe wrecking explosion.

quote:
Even if that's not the case, Galactus can simply pull out an Odin from his arse and bfr all that excess energy to another dimension.

Assuming he knows it's coming, this is a possibility.

The Birds, Part 2.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:40 PM
zopzop is online now! Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by zopzop

I thought that was just flowery language for when Aleta transformed into Starhawk :
If you look at the panel :
a) A mother screams (Korvac's mother in labor pains)
b) A father rails (Korvac's dad fighting the GotG)
c) A universe is rent asunder and mends itself a new configuration (Aleta literally reconfiguring herself into Starhawk)
d) A child is born (Korvac's birth)

No?

Yup, after the Ancient One's (aka Dr. Strange of the year 3000) APPRENTICE, Kruegarr, owned Korvac :

Horrific showing for Korvac.

Having said that, this is a double KO. Galactus WILL breach Monarch's armor then die in the resulting explosion (along with the rest of the universe/dimension they are fighting in). [/B]
While possible, it never to my knowledge said this before. Hell, they changed a couple pages before after a while and nothing was stated:
http://i40.tinypic.com/35b8ebl.jpg

Plus with all the talk of Korvac wiping out the universe in that arc:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/comic/14.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/comic/19.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/comic/26.jpg

Plus, that's a terrible choice of words for transforming when a universe was a stake...

He put him a dimension where his powers didn't work. He didn't overpower him or anything, just put him in a dimension. Same theory as Mad Jim Jaspers' weakness with unspace. That shouldn't diminish his power, especially with Korvac' power decimating the GOTG in that arc.

And the Monarch explosion was a chain reaction that the Monitor's personal shields withstood, along with at least a plant and mountain (?), and Superboy Prime. And the Monitors were written as complete fodder getting decimated by herald level armies in that arc.
http://imageshack.us/f/98/ca4or1.jpg/

Galactus can either teleport to another dimension like he's done against the UN. Put his shields up. Probably just warp it around him. It just seemed like it was big in scope tbh since he didn't actually destroy the universe, just almost everything in it. Which doesn't include anything more durable than Galactus, and even less durable characters survived (Prime, Monitor, Plant, Rocks).

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:49 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I think it is rather foolish to assume that the only way to defeat Monarch is by ripping open his armor and releasing all of his 'universe-busting energies'.

What's stopping Galactus from containing Monarch and perpetually feasting on his energies, like he did with Hyperstorm? What's stopping Galactus from preforming mind-phuckery? What's stopping Galactus from breaching Monarch's armor and immediately teleporting him to another dimension before he completely detonates? What's stopping Galactus from simply tanking said energies like the Monitor's shields and base-level Prime did?

Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

During that period Aleta and Starhawk shared the same body, switching back and forth frequently depending which powerset was needed at the time. I don't think it was ever referred to as a universe reforming itself, as they were two entities in the same body.

I'm not specifically sure what the scan you posted was talking about, but almost certainly not about Aleta transforming back into Starhawk, imo

tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

QFT @ Galan.

Even a drastically weakened Galactus should beat Monarch as he'd be able to feed on his energies and restore some of his vitality during the fight.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:50 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Oh it will be, because unlike the time he was born into the current universe, he won't have Eternity looking out for him in this fight :
And I don't think that Monarch's explosion was an actual "Big Bang" creation event similar to what happened with Imperiex. It was just a universe wrecking explosion.

He was mortal then, and that dying Eternity merging with him is what birthed Galactus. So yeah, him being born is a fair argument for him being able to tank Monarch self-destructing.

It is a big bang. Pretty sure that's how Captain Atom's powers work.

Assuming he knows it's coming, this is a possibility.

You go out of your way to cast as many doubts over Galactus' ability as there are atoms in the sun.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:54 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by MF DELPH
My thinking as well. IIRC Galactus was depicted eating a magical realm (I want to say Agamatto's realm, but I can't remember off hand).

Mephisto's dimension.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 07:56 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

@TGK

Typically, big bangs create. Monarch's detonation only destroyed. That's why universe-51 had to be recreated by the Monitors at the end of Final Crisis. That said, I personally wouldn't refer to the aforementioned detonation as a 'big bang'. The sum total of Atom's quantum powers were released in unison, which caused a massive explosion that ultimately destroyed universe-51.

Doesn't change the outcome in the slightest, though. Galactus wins.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:01 PM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

@TGK

Typically, big bangs create. Monarch's detonation only destroyed. That's why universe-51 had to be recreated by the Monitors at the end of Final Crisis. That said, I personally wouldn't refer to the aforementioned detonation as a 'big bang'. The sum total of Atom's quantum powers were released in unison, which caused a massive explosion that ultimately destroyed universe-51.

Big Bangs create when there is nothing else in existence to destroy. The power of a big bang is such that if such an event were to be successfully replicated in the modern age, it would literally tear the whole universe asunder.

Going by your logic, Michael's Dunamis Demiurgos isn't a Big Bang either(its multiversal scale notwithstanding).

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:07 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

@TGK

Doesn't change the outcome in the slightest, though. Galactus wins.
Did it actually destroy the universe?

I thought it was just everything in it

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:07 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Originally posted by Branlor Swift

Can you destroy space ?

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:08 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

@Galan:

In fact take the most recent instance of the Big Bang being used an instrument of destruction in Fantastic Four #6, where Blastaar was condemned to die at the dawn of creation.

There is absolutely no evidence that Monarch's self-destruction produced energies aren't logically a Big Bang, while there is evidence for the opposing point of view.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:09 PM
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Can you destroy space ?

If we go into the real-life technicalities involving the complete destruction of a universe, then no fictional character ever has destroyed a universe.

But hypothetically, you can contract space into nothingness. Because it's logical that if space can expand, then it can also contract. It's simply beyond the scope of humans to do so.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:12 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

Can you destroy space ?
Happens all the time.

For example, when Hyperion tanked a double universal explosion.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 08:12 PM
Mr Master

It's either a "Big Bang" or it isn't.

In Monarch's case it's Not imo.

A/The "Big-Bang" only creates! (from nothingness)

Existing Spacial-Temporal implosion is known as the/a "Big-Crunch."

If all Monarch did was release energies that destroyed most (or all) of
the contents within that universe, (excluding space-time)
then it's neither.

That's just a powerful blast wrecking most of the Galaxies and so on of a reality.

---------------------------------------

* Galactus didn't tank the original Big Bang btw.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 09:04 PM
Mr Master is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Master a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Branlor Swift

The universal space was still there, but everything within it was destroyed.

...Except the Monitor... And Prime... And a little tree... And a tiny plot of land that the tree was growing on.

Originally posted by Mr Master
It's either a "Big Bang" or it isn't.

In Monarch's case it's Not imo.

A/The "Big-Bang" only creates! (from nothingness)

Existing Spacial-Temporal implosion is known as the/a "Big-Crunch."

If all Monarch did was release energies that destroyed most (or all) of
the contents within that universe, (excluding space-time)
then it's neither.

That's just a powerful blast wrecking most of the Galaxies and so on of a reality.

---------------------------------------

* Galactus didn't tank the original Big Bang btw.
thumb up

That makes 2 agreements in a week. We are on a roll. big grin

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 09:32 PM