KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Best Comic Book Writer of All Time

Who is the best?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Alan Moore 1 4.76%
Grant Morrison 6 28.57%
Frank Miller 0 0%
Neil Gaiman 4 19.05%
Garth Ennis 0 0%
Warren Ellis 2 9.52%
Chris Claremont 1 4.76%
Ed Brubaker 0 0%
Brian Michael Bendis 2 9.52%
Other 5 23.81%
Total: 21 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Comic Book Writer of All Time
Started by: Ben "cA" Risa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I voted Ellis. For me personally he has the best catalog of work to his name, and the stuff he was doing in the early 2000 at Wildstorm with Stormwatch and ultimately Authority was hugely influential on the superhero comic medium. For better of worse Ellis started the "blockbuster widescreen storytelling" that is prevalent in the medium today.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:00 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Most of those Authors had their moments where I thought they were very good. Yet, I feel like Grant Morrison shines a bit better

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:08 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Other than Marvel Boy and All Star Superman I haven't really liked anything Morrison has done that wasn't under the vertigo banner. /shrug

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:16 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Gaiman.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:22 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Also, BKV should be in the poll.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:23 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I'm the only one who voted for Alan Moore?

His Swamp Thing #50 is probably one of, if not my favorite comic book of all time.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:24 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Other than Marvel Boy and All Star Superman I haven't really liked anything Morrison has done that wasn't under the vertigo banner. /shrug

Have you checked out his Batman run? It's his best work imo and my personal favorite comic book continuing storyline ever.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:34 PM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
fc?

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:41 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

Damn never hoped to see this.

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:43 PM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

Stan the man Lee will always be my man! In fact he should be up there, and I'll vote for him damn you!

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:45 PM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

Originally posted by -Pr-
Stan Lee.
thumb up

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:46 PM
Quincy
Debaser

No Brian K Vaughn?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:52 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

I always liked Peter David, but of those choices it would be Stan Lee.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:56 PM
Jedi Sheriff is currently offline Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

Didn't even realize he wasn't up there, therefore this is stupid.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 04:58 PM
Jedi Sheriff is currently offline Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

He wasn't included in the poll for good reason, and that is because he was not a very good writer. Co-creating some interesting characters and an interesting setting means little when you cannot tell a particularly interesting story. Try reading some of his older comics, the plots were incredibly simplistic and formulaic and the dialogue was practically infantile. Comics of that time were simply nowhere near the literary medium that they are today.

Ever17: The Out of Infinity

17 years of gratitude to Scythe for the as ever excellent signature and avatar!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 05:42 PM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Ben "cA" Risa
Best based on proficiency in writing/storytelling assessed by today's standards.

I was under the impression this was usually assumed when not listing criteria and saying "best of all time" and it seems everyone else understood that clearly enough.

Still requires some disambiguation imo. As you put it, "Best based on proficiency in writing/storytelling assessed by today's standards" ...is different than "Who do I personally think is best by today's standards." I'd say Ellis to the latter, but would have to include more than just my own opinion in the former, and would probably get into range and versatility in writing styles, critical reception, etc. Exactitude is your friend.

Also, the numerous posters saying Stan show that they didn't unanimously understand your intent. A few may doggedly stick with him anyway out of reverence or nostalgia, but few would persist in that answer based on your criteria.

Originally posted by Endless Mike
I'm the only one who voted for Alan Moore?

He ushered in and popularized the idea of comics as a serious medium. However, he didn't perfect the art (imo, of course).

Last edited by Digi on May 7th, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2013 07:25 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I think Morrison is overrated. Not gonna get into it with his backers, because overrated /= bad, and I don't want to imply that. I just don't think he's as good as his reputation.

Gaiman is a close 2nd for me, but he's not as married to the genre as some comic writers. He's a brilliant writer and author, but a lot of his work is in movies, TV, stories, and novels....not comics. Most of the authors in the poll created numerous titles, characters, franchises, etc. or added greatly to them. Take away Sandman and Gaiman wouldn't even be known in comics-only circles.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 07:32 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Still requires some disambiguation imo. As you put it, "Best based on proficiency in writing/storytelling assessed by today's standards" ...is different than "Who do I personally think is best by today's standards."

Not necessarily at all and absolutely not as far as my intended message when I said that is concerned. I feel it goes without saying that what people consider the best in fields such as writing and storytelling is largely a subjective process and that rarely would somebody choose to ignore the subjective areas and focus solely on the objective merits of those disciplines. That is absolutely how I meant it, and how I feel most people would approach this topic, to the point that I feel it isn't worth making the extra effort to specify as much.

People see the word "best", their natural approach is what they personally consider the best, likewise if they see the term "of all time" usually they think of applying a universal standard. Being unnecessarily exact in these matters can be a subtle form of inefficiency.

quote:
Also, the numerous posters saying Stan show that they didn't unanimously understand your intent. A few may doggedly stick with him anyway out of reverence or nostalgia, but few would persist in that answer based on your criteria.

Not necessarily as the people who mentioned Stan Lee maintained that position after I drew the distinction between "best" and "greatest" and -PR-'s response seemed to indicate that he simply valued certain aspects of his style and methodology, and his imaginative character-building over such things as dialogue and scientific accuracy, in considering him the best.

Last edited by Ben "cA" Risa on May 7th, 2013 at 08:21 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:08 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

this is a hard question in that each had some great moments, and most had some....not so great moments. i think the best high for me was likely gaiman's sandman and related materials (but he's not a typical comicbook author, and i have read all his novels as well and loved most of them) but it's tough to look at the jla stuff morrison did and NOT say that was equally as good, just different. one was much more traditional. i think if i were to come up with an idea and had to have one author pen it for me, it would be morrison. but then, it would depend on the idea i guess. hrm. tough call.

i do agree with part of what pr said--lee was great, but i also think that by the standards of today, his early stories don't match up. but that's not his fault. he started something that others--over years and years--have had a chance to hone. comparing across eras is always tricky, but if you're mentioning lee, you really should be lumping kirby in there as well imo.

oh, an honourable mention to denny o'neill whose work with neal adams in batman pretty much redefined the character and i think sort of paved the way for miller.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:28 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Geoff Johns should be mentioned if Bendis is.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:31 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote