KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Best Comic Book Writer of All Time

Who is the best?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Alan Moore 1 4.76%
Grant Morrison 6 28.57%
Frank Miller 0 0%
Neil Gaiman 4 19.05%
Garth Ennis 0 0%
Warren Ellis 2 9.52%
Chris Claremont 1 4.76%
Ed Brubaker 0 0%
Brian Michael Bendis 2 9.52%
Other 5 23.81%
Total: 21 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Comic Book Writer of All Time
Started by: Ben "cA" Risa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ben "cA" Risa
Concession accepted. big grin

Because everything on the internet is a competition, and my original post clearly wasn't trying to just help out. Keep trolling...

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 8th, 2013 01:42 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anybody else think Brian Azzarello's a little underrated? His Wonder Woman has been right up there with Batman, Batman Incorporated, Action Comics, Swamp Thing and Animal Man as the best of DC's The New 52 and is also imo by far the best stuff there's ever been on her character, and 100 Bullets was amazing.

Ever17: The Out of Infinity

17 years of gratitude to Scythe for the as ever excellent signature and avatar!

Old Post May 8th, 2013 02:44 PM
Ben "cA" Risa is currently offline Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Anybody else think Brian Azzarello's a little underrated? His Wonder Woman has been right up there with Batman, Batman Incorporated, Action Comics, Swamp Thing and Animal Man as the best of DC's The New 52 and is also imo by far the best stuff there's ever been on her character, and 100 Bullets was amazing.

I liked his action comics, Animal Man and 100 bullets.

All I've checked out by him so far, that and some of the isues he did in Hellblazer.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 02:45 PM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by curryman
I'm not familiar with Snyder's stuff really.

Only read Batman (overrated trash imo) and American Vampire (still enjoying this).

I'm surprised you don't like Morrison's New x-men stuff though? As it's basically the only one I've read, outside of the latter New X-Men stuff, where the x-kids felt realistic. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Not enough Wolverine feats?

I don't care about feats, Wonder Woman hasn't done much of anything impressive in her New 52 solo title, but the writing and characterization (and art) make it one of DC's best books on the shelf form month to month. Morrison's run on New X-Men was disjointed, plagued by less than stellar fill in artists, terrible pacing, a truly awful twist (even before the retcon). I'm also not a fan of leather clad "realistic" X-Men. There was some great character moments, but on the whole it left me flat.

I thought Synder's run on Detective was up there as one of the greatest Batman stories of all time... his run on Batman in the New 52 is a joke. What makes it worse is critics and fans are hang off his nuts lapping at his dick for nourishment like he is a mother possum. The reveal at the end of Night of the Owls was just terrible story telling. The most hackneyed, cliched example of comic book writing I've ever seen... yet if you surf the internet people were pretending like that sophomoric nonsense was the greatest thing they've ever read. Long lost evil brother, even now I can barely joke down the bile. I'm sure a competent writer will come on the title eventually and retcon it... maybe then I'll pick the book up again.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 8th, 2013 05:36 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I remember Liefeld's twitter war with Synder.

Haven't laughed as hard as I did then for a while.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 05:39 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I remember Liefeld's twitter war with Synder.

Haven't laughed as hard as I did then for a while.

Yeah that was classic. laughing

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 8th, 2013 05:41 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I don't care about feats, Wonder Woman hasn't done much of anything impressive in her New 52 solo title, but the writing and characterization (and art) make it one of DC's best books on the shelf form month to month. Morrison's run on New X-Men was disjointed, plagued by less than stellar fill in artists, terrible pacing, a truly awful twist (even before the retcon). I'm also not a fan of leather clad "realistic" X-Men. There was some great character moments, but on the whole it left me flat.

I thought Synder's run on Detective was up there as one of the greatest Batman stories of all time... his run on Batman in the New 52 is a joke. What makes it worse is critics and fans are hang off his nuts lapping at his dick for nourishment like he is a mother possum. The reveal at the end of Night of the Owls was just terrible story telling. The most hackneyed, cliched example of comic book writing I've ever seen... yet if you surf the internet people were pretending like that sophomoric nonsense was the greatest thing they've ever read. Long lost evil brother, even now I can barely joke down the bile. I'm sure a competent writer will come on the title eventually and retcon it... maybe then I'll pick the book up again.
Lol I blocked that twist out of my mind until you brought it up again. I remember when that issue came out and everywhere you turned you saw 10/10 rankings. I remember thinking "Am I missing something, this is some soap opera bullshit"

Made by Jugg666

Old Post May 8th, 2013 07:38 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

So far, most Wonder Woman fans I've come across haven't been huge fans of the new 52 stuff.

Azzarello is a solid writer though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on May 8th, 2013 at 08:12 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2013 08:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by -Pr-
So far, most Wonder WOman fans I've come across haven't been huge fans of the new 52 stuff.

Azzarello is a solid writer though.

It's a great run he's had so far in terms of quality, but I haven't enjoyed it as much as say Perez', Rucka's, or Simone's run. Her retooled origin just doesn't sit well with me, but I can acknowledge the good writing.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 08:11 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

It's a great run he's had so far in terms of quality, but I haven't enjoyed it as much as say Perez', Rucka's, or Simone's run. Her retooled origin just doesn't sit well with me, but I can acknowledge the good writing.
I like it. The origin is very "greek mythology like" .

Made by Jugg666

Old Post May 8th, 2013 08:48 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I like it. The origin is very "greek mythology like" .

I've read some of it (not all of it mind you). I have liked it quite a bit, but then again I'm a sucker for mythology done well.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 8th, 2013 08:59 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Jim Starlin. Hands down.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 08:24 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

lol

Old Post May 10th, 2013 01:06 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

laughing out loud

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 10th, 2013 01:08 AM
quanchi112
Disney

lol
Infinity Gauntlet.

Old Post May 13th, 2013 03:07 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by quanchi112
Infinity Gauntlet.

I bought that really because it was George Perez's return to Marvel for that one. When he stopped after 3 1/2 issues, I was less interested. Starlin front loaded the crisis so early in that; the IG could kill half the universe so easily, so it was a simple matter of reversing it eventually.

Can you name just one writer, as best all time? Here is my list of the most 'influential', all time:

Stan Lee
Alan Moore
Frank Miller
Jim Starlin
Roy Thomas
Neil Gamian

Chris Claremont has a special distinction, for being the 'most important' writer of his book ever - X-Men became the long running phenomenon it is because of him.

Great writers of the 1970's - Roy Thomas, Jim Starlin, Don McGregor (the three most influential writers for Grant Morrison), Doug Moench, Archie Goodwin, Dennis O'Neil.

Great writers of the 1980's - Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Chris Claremont, J.M. Dematteis, Peter David.

Great writers of the 1990's - Frank Miller, Neil Gamian, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Peter David, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek.

Great writers of the 2000's - Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Garth Ennis, Brian Azzarello, Mark Millar, Jeph Loeb (fist half of the decade only.)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 13th, 2013 03:33 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote