KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Pre Vizsla, Bo-Katan vs Revan

Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Pre Vizsla, Bo-Katan vs Revan
Started by: Taay'hai

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The_Tempest

SWL, people are just now opening up to the idea of engaging you again. Don't sabotage this elusive moment of magnanimity by furiously masturbating to TOR, KotOR and its characters.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:16 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

I welcome the openness but should I just blindly concede POV in favor of PT/OT era characters to be on the good side of some PT fans?

People should stop taking Star Wars debates to heart.

Now Maul > Revan? Even some Maul fanboys do not go this far in other forums.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on May 18th, 2013 at 02:28 PM

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:25 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

No one's taking it to heart and no one's suggesting you blindly concede anything. But because this is indeed intended to be a lighthearted past time and not an excruciating chore... you may want to reconsider some things.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:27 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The_Tempest
No one's taking it to heart and no one's suggesting you blindly concede anything. But because this is indeed intended to be a lighthearted past time and not an excruciating chore... you may want to reconsider some things.

I have no interest in bashing any fellow member in these debates; I am past this stage.

However, labeling my debates as "trap" for others is not a welcome sign.

I am waiting for the moment when I gain access to BioWare forums; it is great place for Star Wars debates. Once this happens, I won't bother posting in the Star Wars section of this forum.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:32 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

And probably an environment more receptive to a predilection for all things TOR, yes?

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:36 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Fans of all Star Wars eras lurk in that forum. At least, people are not given SU call over there; you can post to your heart's fill and expect decent debate in return.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on May 18th, 2013 at 02:42 PM

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:39 PM
The_Tempest

Well I'll grant you that this place isn't worth much for a decent debate anymore. I chalk it up to recalcitrance and weariness.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 02:53 PM
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
As per Drew Karpyshyn, Revan is skilled in all forms of lightsaber combat. However, he chooses to be unorthodox in his dueling preferences so that he can be unpredictable. His precognitive abilities are exceptional by all accounts.

Feats wise, I recall two of his impressive showings:-

- Revan singlehandedly cut down a pair of Terentateks in the Tomb of Naga Sadow. His skills convinced Yuthura Ban that he was the only individual in the whole planet at that time who could help her defeat Uthar Wynn.

"Some say they are products of Sith alchemy. Others think they were simply rancors twisted with dark-side energy. Regardless, they are aggressive and deadly." (Luke Skywalker)

- During confrontation with the Imperial Guard; Revan cut down his opponent (who attempted to stop his advance) with such finesse that it is not even funny.

Learn about Imperial Guard from here: http://www.swtor-spy.com/codex/the-imperial-guard/1134/

In many ways Darth Maul was an exemplary acolyte. His loyalty was unquestionable and unshakable; Sidious knew that, if he were to command it, Maul would sacrifice his life without a second's hesitation. And his skills as a warrior were nonpareil.

-Shadow Hunter

He defeated Anoon Bondara, who according to his apprentice, had swordmanship ''unmatched'' and skills ''second to none'', defeated Qui-Gon Jinn who was called one of the best in the order, has effortlessly stomped Savage Opress who has fought as an equal with Plo Koon and Asajj Ventress, he has fought as an equal with Obi-Wan Kenobi who has fought even with (and defeated) General Grievous

Revan does not sucks in lightsaber combat. He is rather inadequately explored in this context.

Agreed. Never claimed so, though.

- Darth Malak?
- Darth Nyriss?

I meant physical strength.

Have you played SWTOR game?

No. Have read Revan though.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 04:23 PM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Skill-wise, Maul has just as good of quotes as Revan, but better feats. Force-wise, Maul has better feats as far as TK: throwing ships, ragdolling Obi Wan, collapsing cave cielings, etc...

There is nothing to indicate that Revan is better than Maul, IMO. And if he is, it's not by much.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 06:28 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ben "cA" Risa
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Well I'll grant you that this place isn't worth much for a decent debate anymore. I chalk it up to recalcitrance and weariness.

Indeed, this place used to be pretty epic with the 2000+ word responses being the norm and all of the crazy drama. I think the real reason it isn't as good as it used to be is that for the most part all of the posters that were good for the forum and livened the place up either left or stopped actively debating, in particular people like Lightsnake and strangely enough Darth Sexy lol. God I had some legendary debates with Darth Sexy back in the day.

Ever17: The Out of Infinity

17 years of gratitude to Scythe for the as ever excellent signature and avatar!

Old Post May 18th, 2013 07:35 PM
Click here to Send Ben "cA" Risa a Private Message Find more posts by Ben "cA" Risa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Aristotle posited that virtue is the mean between two extremes. The Antediluvian reign was one of perpetual mob rule and naked speculation. Now, we’re all absurd Rules Lawyers who viciously nitpick. Methodological errors either way, but it can’t be denied that this place was so much better when Gideon was in charge…

As for me, I just don’t have the patience or energy for protracted engagements anymore. I infrequently dip my toes in the water elsewhere, where stylistic discrepancies are better understood and where a world that “bristles with the dark side” is commonly interpreted as a dark side nexus. But even then, I can’t juggle three or four 12+ page debates like I used to.

Old Post May 18th, 2013 08:09 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Intrepid37
In many ways Darth Maul was an exemplary acolyte. His loyalty was unquestionable and unshakable; Sidious knew that, if he were to command it, Maul would sacrifice his life without a second's hesitation. And his skills as a warrior were nonpareil.

-Shadow Hunter

I do not underestimate Maul's skill but my argument is that he is not in the league of Revan.

"Like Revan, the Emperor understood the Force in ways Scourge never would." (SWTOR: Revan)

"It was easy to understand how Scourge could be drawn to him; Revan's command of the Force was greater than that of anyone else she had ever met." (SWTOR: Revan)

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force." (KoTOR 2)

He defeated Anoon Bondara, who according to his apprentice, had swordmanship ''unmatched'' and skills ''second to none'',

The apprentice's POV is questionable. Mace, Yoda and Dooku were better then Anoon.

defeated Qui-Gon Jinn who was called one of the best in the order,

Any quote?

has effortlessly stomped Savage Opress who has fought as an equal with Plo Koon and Asajj Ventress,

Maul was relatively better trained and more learned in the ways of the Force.

he has fought as an equal with Obi-Wan Kenobi who has fought even with (and defeated) General Grievous

Obi-Wan Kenobi is good but he is not in the league of Revan either.

---

Revan have subdued stronger opponents.

Some examples:

- Revan utterly destroyed Nyriss with his raw power; the latter individual was so powerful that she put both Scourge and Meetra to shame.

- Revan subdued Malak aboard Star Forge; the latter individual was stated to be "nearly unstoppable" at this stage.

Revan have defeated several other powerful opponents in single combat. He even came close to assassinating the mighty Sith Emperor.

Revan's combat performance (on the whole) aboard Star Forge puts Maul to shame.

Their is simply no comparison.

Agreed. Never claimed so, though.

Revan was an expert swordsman by all accounts.

I meant physical strength.

Revan packs much greater raw power. Explanation below.

No. Have read Revan though.

Well, Revan is very impressive in SWTOR. Even after enduring 3 centuries of torture, the Imperial Strike Team found Revan a force to be reckoned with. Malgus himself pointed out that the Imperial Strike Team was the only hope for the Empire to stop Revan.

Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Skill-wise, Maul has just as good of quotes as Revan, but better feats.

This statement makes no sense.

Force-wise, Maul has better feats as far as TK: throwing ships, ragdolling Obi Wan, collapsing cave cielings, etc...

These fancy TK feats do not prove much.

Consider this example:

Orgus Din collapsed a Cave entrance or possibly more in front of HoT. Not long afterwards, Bengal Morr ragdolled Orgus Din in front of HoT like a pro.

Get the memo?

Maul is simply better explored in the mythos in the context of Force powers then Revan. However, given the reputation of latter, he is likely to put Maul to shame in a showdown of Force powers. To give you an idea; Revan could collapse a building if he really wanted to with his TK abilities, as per Drew Karpyshyn.

In the Revan novel, we never got to see Revan in a situation in which he had to exert to perform a feat. He just gestured and feats happened as per his wishes. Nothing more; nothing less.

You talk about offensive capabilities?

Revan send Vitiate packing with his TK abilities; he can take good care of Maul. In addition, Revan was also a practitioner of dark side powers and very good in their use. Remember what he did to Nyriss?

There is nothing to indicate that Revan is better than Maul, IMO. And if he is, it's not by much.

Revan is logically far more powerful then Maul. You cannot make an accurate assessment of Revan's strength without a holistic examination of his power progression in his life.

As an example:

Revan packed so much raw power that when he found himself on the receiving end of Nyriss's signature FL, he literally bend it back to his opponent, utterly destroying her in the process. Do you think that Maul could survive in Revan shoes if he found himself in the same situation? No. He lacked the strength and proficiency to deal with such kind of threat; he wasn't as strong as Revan - not even close.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on May 18th, 2013 at 08:35 PM

Old Post May 18th, 2013 08:21 PM
Vensai

Since we've all agreed that the team utterly humiliates Revan:

Maul vs. Revan
Sabers: Maul - Revan's best saber feat was fighting a featless imperial guard while Maul has taken on swordsmasters like Quigon, Obiwan, etc.
Force: Maul - Revan's best feats from the novel are below Maul's feats of moving ships and ragdolling jedi; Maul has survived lightning from Sidious himself and tanked Mighella's
All-out: Maul

Seriously, Savage vs. Revan would be a better fight.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 18th, 2013 09:14 PM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Vensai

lol i c wut u did thur

Old Post May 18th, 2013 09:17 PM
Taay'hai

Why are you all centering this on a conflict between Maul and Revan? So what if Darth Maul isn't strong as Revan? He has three other powerful allies--Savage, Pre, and Bo-Katan. Their abilities are quite considerable too. I think it'd be unfair to say Maul carries the team the entire team.
I think Maul would serve as the greatest swordsman.
I think Savage would cause a lot of strain and physical pain to Revan.
I think Pre would have tons of fun throwing nades from the sky.
I think Bo-Katan could be classified as a DPS, and pack quite a punch.

Old Post May 19th, 2013 07:17 AM
Click here to Send Taay'hai a Private Message Find more posts by Taay'hai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Revans fvcked.

Old Post May 19th, 2013 07:36 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

What feats of Revan make you think he is stronger than Maul? The best feats he has off the top of my head are defeating a sith lord with her own lightning (and Maul doesn't tend to use lightning last time I checked) and beating Malak (who honestly isn't any higher on feats than Revan). What you think does not equal feats.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 19th, 2013 07:39 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Intrepid37
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do not underestimate Maul's skill but my argument is that he is not in the league of Revan.

"Like Revan, the Emperor understood the Force in ways Scourge never would." (SWTOR: Revan)

"It was easy to understand how Scourge could be drawn to him; Revan's command of the Force was greater than that of anyone else she had ever met." (SWTOR: Revan)

"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force." (KoTOR 2)

First two are opinions, last is hyperbole.

I don't doubt that he's got a good understanding of the force and huehue, but Maul has ragdolled Kenobi, collapsed a cave, manhandled a big ship, hurled soldiers with force waves and whatnot.

Simply too much for Revan to overcome.

The apprentice's POV is questionable.

Agreed, like Scourge's and Surik's.

Any quote?

Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.
Maul was relatively better trained and more learned in the ways of the Force.

-The Phantom Menace

Obi-Wan Kenobi is good but he is not in the league of Revan either.

Obi-Wan has dueling feats above Revan's. smile

- Revan utterly destroyed Nyriss with his raw power; the latter individual was so powerful that she put both Scourge and Meetra to shame.

By redirecting the lightning with his hands, not a dueling feat really.

- Revan subdued Malak aboard Star Forge; the latter individual was stated to be "nearly unstoppable" at this stage.

As if Maul wouldn't. Malak sucks.

Revan have defeated several other powerful opponents in single combat. He even came close to assassinating the mighty Sith Emperor.

He doesn't have the chance to assassinate Maul. wink

Revan's combat performance (on the whole) aboard Star Forge puts Maul to shame.

Their is simply no comparison.

Not really.

Revan was an expert swordsman by all accounts.

And Maul isn't?

Darth Maul is one of the most highly trained Sith in the history of the order.

-Episode I Visual Dictionary

The present Sith Master, Darth Sidious is the diabolically brilliant mind behind training one of the most dangerous Sith apprentices in history: the deadly Darth Maul.

-Episode I Visual Dictionary

Revan packs much greater raw power. Explanation below.

Not really. Maul's cyber-legs combined with his physical strength allowed him to handle Opress' strength like it was nothing. Pretty sure that before Opress became a Sith he stones so they received dents, and after his amp Opress flung Dooku, Anakin and Obi-Wan across rooms, broke Battledroids.

Old Post May 19th, 2013 08:10 AM
Click here to Send Intrepid37 a Private Message Find more posts by Intrepid37 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

What feats of Revan make you think he is stronger than Maul? The best feats he has off the top of my head are defeating a sith lord with her own lightning (and Maul doesn't tend to use lightning last time I checked) and beating Malak (who honestly isn't any higher on feats than Revan). What you think does not equal feats.

Well LeGeND had it straight from Drew Karpyshan that Revans TK is powerful enough to destroy a building. So thats pretty impressive if you think its valid.

Old Post May 19th, 2013 08:37 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

The Imperial Strike Team sent to kill Revan found him a force to be reckoned with. This Strike Team was made-up of bad@sses too. So what makes you think that Revan will be utterly humiliated in this hypothetical confrontation. It is rumored that Revan haven't died during his confrontation with the Imperial Strike Team. Your claim is subjective and is not a representation of POV of everybody.

Maul vs. Revan
Sabers: Maul - Revan's best saber feat was fighting a featless imperial guard while Maul has taken on swordsmasters like Quigon, Obiwan, etc.

As per canonical sources, Imperial Guard are exceptionally skilled combatants. Having feats doesn't makes you unstoppable by default. Revan have impaled many adversaries with his blade; that Imperial Guard individual was just one of the victims in a very long list.

Revan have also slain two Terentateks simultaneously in the Tomb of Naga Sadow. Does Maul have a comparable showing?

Have Maul ever cut a swath through an army?

In addition, neither Obi-Wan and nor Qui-Gon jinn have demonstrated combat performance on par with Revan.

So your subjective claim have no merit in it.

Force: Maul - Revan's best feats from the novel are below Maul's feats of moving ships and ragdolling jedi; Maul has survived lightning from Sidious himself and tanked Mighella's
All-out: Maul

Another subjective assessment from you which makes no sense at all. Since when have Maul tanked Sidious's lightning? Last time, I checked he was begging for mercy and crying in pain when Sidious tortured him with his lightning. And Mighella is supposed to be a lightning God or something? What have she done to warrant a mention in this debate?

As far as feats are concerned, Revan did not found himself in a situation during which he had to exert to perform a feat of epic proportions. It is not in his nature to leave a trail of destruction in his path without a solid reason. Revan took steps that were adequate for his objectives. A powerful Sith may think differently in his shoes; powerful Sith often tend to leave a trail of destruction in their path to intimate their opponents/surroundings, but Revan thinks differently. You should not confuse lack of feats with lack of capability; their is a clear distinction between these two.

Revan's companions have acknowledged his immense power. As an example: Meetra Surik felt that Revan's command of the Force was greater then that of everybody else's whom she have met. You know what this implies? To give you a hint, Meetra Surik have dealt with some very impressive adversaries.

Seriously, Savage vs. Revan would be a better fight.

BS

Old Post May 19th, 2013 01:35 PM