KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Are you fine if the next Storm actress won't be black?

Are you fine if the next Storm actress won't be black?
Started by: RLAAMJR.

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Time for your sensitivity training.

Of course, I am white after all.

Originally posted by KingD19
Storm has had her heritage expounded upon too much to be any color other than black.

She's descended from an ancient, centuries old line of African tribal priestesses on her mothers side, and her dad is black. You'd have to change her entire backstory to make her any other color.

As for Johnny. While he's a white guy and imo should remain a white guy, a race change on him wouldn't be as drastic since Johnny and Sue's family and backstory and lineage have never really been a big deal. They're white, they had parents. That's about as far as it goes.

Pretty much. Just ends up becoming a question of what do you do: Change Sue too, or make him adopted, or something.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Jan 18th, 2014 07:18 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I don't like changing genders or races for established characters. I really don't see the point and in the case of Storm it would ruin the credibility(at least at first) of her being african. Sure not everyone from Africa is black, but like I said I just don't see the point. I didn't care about Heimdall because he is a god from another world.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jan 21st, 2014 09:20 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW

Originally posted by -Pr-
If they decided to make Cyclops black, that wouldn't be cool, imo.

Coming soon:

• Black Cyclops

• Black Hank Pym (always beating on his white wife)

• Black Aquaman

• Black Superman

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2014 12:07 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Coming soon:

• Black Cyclops

• Black Hank Pym (always beating on his white wife)

• Black Aquaman

• Black Superman

You need help.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Jan 24th, 2014 09:08 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2014 04:06 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

You need help.

Just like a White man. Stilt starts sharing his thoughts about more Black characters and you conclude that he's obviously out of his mind and needs help. You're a monster.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Jan 25th, 2014 09:03 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

sad

Old Post Jan 25th, 2014 09:51 PM
jedi90

Re: Are you fine if the next Storm actress won't be black?

Originally posted by RLAAMJR.
[B]This is actually in connection to about getting a black actor as Human Torch. So I was thinking, if the director decides to assign an actress who isn't black to play as Storm, are you fine with it? Whether your answer is "yes" or "no", which actress who isn't black would you want to play as her?

I'll answer first.

I would say "no!" I mean a big "NO". That's pretty much not the Storm I know. Storm is a very popular black comic character, she's even the most popular black comic book character, and not getting a black actress to play as her even if the hair is white, people would be confused.

But if I can't stop them, then I would like Kelly Brook to play as Storm.

where to begin....

if you want to get technical, the last actress to play storm wasn't completely black either. In fact, Halle is half white and barely passes for black let alone african.

the only reason i would say no is because storm's background is very much wrapped around her race and nationality.

as for johnny, his race isn't critical to who he is. sue being white and johnny being black doesn't require:
1. their mother to be a whore
2. johnny being adopted

their parents could have divorced or they could be half siblings.

"I don't give them hell, I just tell them the truth and they think it's hell."

Old Post Feb 17th, 2014 11:00 PM
jedi90 is currently offline Click here to Send jedi90 a Private Message Find more posts by jedi90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jason Todd

I think its a really stupid idea to change the race of any character. If there is already an established version that is a different race to base them on ok(Nick Fury) other then that there is no need.

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Feb 18th, 2014 09:52 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stormlover

I agree with Jedi90. I believe that Storm's heritage is so integral to her character that changing her ethnicity/race would change the character completely. Johnny Storm's race doesn't necessarily dictate his character, as he seems to be more of a character-type than anything, meaning that there's room for different versions of him (not to take away from who he is though, because I know there are comic purists out there who would disagree or take offense)

Old Post Feb 27th, 2014 02:07 PM
stormlover is currently offline Click here to Send stormlover a Private Message Find more posts by stormlover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

To be honest, I think it's a bit silly to say on one hand that race shouldn't matter, and yet at the same time cast someone for the sake of "diversity".

If they picked this guy because he's the best option? Great. Looking forward to seeing it. If not... Then yeah.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2014 02:20 AM
Bardock42

I think due to a severe under representation of minorities in comic books and media in general, it is a different act to change a black character to be white as opposed to the other way around.

As such I would not like that.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 11:07 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Jordan is a great young actor though.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 11:22 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by Bardock42
I think due to a severe under representation of minorities in comic books and media in general, it is a different act to change a black character to be white as opposed to the other way around.

As such I would not like that.

Honestly, I do see that it's considered that way. I don't think that's right, as I don't believe any race has "superiority" over any other, but I realise that this isn't a perfect world.

I still stand by my previous post, though.

Jordan is a great young actor though.

I hope so. I really hope he pulls it off, and we finally get a really good F4 movie.

Last edited by -Pr- on Mar 12th, 2014 at 02:36 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 02:34 PM
KingD19

He's got the chops to pull off a Johnny type character. Check out Fruitvale Station and Chronicle. They show his acting range and his character in Chronicle is similar to Torch in a number of ways. As I said earlier in agreement. I don't think just being black makes him good for the part or that Johnny should just be black to be black. But it's a lot easier to pull off black Johnny than a no. African Storm.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 02:45 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

He's got the chops to pull off a Johnny type character. Check out Fruitvale Station and Chronicle. They show his acting range and his character in Chronicle is similar to Torch in a number of ways. As I said earlier in agreement. I don't think just being black makes him good for the part or that Johnny should just be black to be black. But it's a lot easier to pull off black Johnny than a no. African Storm.

That was him in Chronicle? He was good in that, I agree.

Storm, yes, her heritage is very much "Black African goddess". I honestly think it would be silly to try to make her white. It would never happen anyway, so to me, it doesn't really matter.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 03:02 PM
KingD19

Yeah he was Steve in Chronicle. And Steve just oozes Johnny Storm in some ways. Funny, Charismatic, Likeable, and fully in love with his powers. Plus he's not above being childish or a kid from time to time with his abilities.

Like pranking a lady by moving her car to a different spot in the parking lot, or chasing a little girl with a floating teddy bear. But at the end of the day he really cares about his friends. He literally sacrificed his life because he was worried about Andrew's deteriorating behavior.

And while it won't happen, I'm in agreement with you. Certain characters ethnicity is too deeply tied into them to be altered. People like Storm, Luke Cage, Blue Marvel, Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, Magneto, etc...

Last edited by KingD19 on Mar 12th, 2014 at 03:26 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 03:23 PM
-Pr-

From Chronicle, I think he can do the job quite well.

I just hate this idea that people should be changed because "diversity". Instead of just coming up with new characters etc.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2014 05:54 PM
Dramatic Gecko
Gypsy With Internet

From Chronicle, I think he can do the job quite well.

I just hate this idea that people should be changed because "diversity". Instead of just coming up with new characters etc.

Exactly, make black characters, not change people to them. Imagine a black Batman... or as he would called, the invisible man.

Lets start by summoning feats.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2014 03:05 AM
Dramatic Gecko is currently offline Click here to Send Dramatic Gecko a Private Message Find more posts by Dramatic Gecko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Exactly, make black characters, not change people to them. Imagine a black Batman... or as he would called, the invisible man.

But there was a Black Batman.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Mar 20th, 2014 09:50 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote