KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Which Company has more Unique, Imaginative Characters?

Which Company has more Unique, Imaginative Characters?
Started by: Horrificus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
the Darkone

Thanos is a rip off of Darkseid, and this is common knowledge, even though Thanos has been written way better than Darkseid for past 15 yrs.

Superman clones:
Hyperion's
Gladiator
Kid Gladiator
Sentry
Count Nefaria
except for Blue Marvel the rest are clones, only a fanboy would say other wise.

Nova Corp - Green Lantern Corp
Deathstroke- Taskmaster/Captain America
Miracle Man- Captain Marvel
Impriex- Galactus
Aquaman-Namor
Lord Havok-Dr Doom

It's prettty safe to say both companies have copy from each other, hell that's how japnese Anime/Manga works also DBZ-Fist of the Northstar etc.

It's just that Marvel has develope their characeters better than Dc, even Thor a god can be relate able etc, as where Dc characters are god like

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 06:44 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

quote: (post)
Originally posted by the Darkone
Thanos is a rip off of Darkseid, and this is common knowledge, even though Thanos has been written way better than Darkseid for past 15 yrs.

Superman clones:
Hyperion's
Gladiator
Kid Gladiator
Sentry
Count Nefaria
except for Blue Marvel the rest are clones, only a fanboy would say other wise.

Nova Corp - Green Lantern Corp
Deathstroke- Taskmaster/Captain America
Miracle Man- Captain Marvel
Impriex- Galactus
Aquaman-Namor
Lord Havok-Dr Doom

It's prettty safe to say both companies have copy from each other, hell that's how japnese Anime/Manga works also DBZ-Fist of the Northstar etc.

It's just that Marvel has develope their characeters better than Dc, even Thor a god can be relate able etc, as where Dc characters are god like
No, but then again I'm clearly knowledgeable .

May 12, 2013 - 4 posts - 4 authors
Thanos' creator Jim Starlin, said he actually based Thanos off of Metron, not Darkseid. That's why Thanos always has a floating mobius chair.

The rest aren't clones since they are entirely different than Superman. Saying they are clones shows a lack of understanding the definition of the word clone.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 06:46 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Superman does have a lot of "clones" in terms of power sets in Marvel, but a lot of those clones are radically different in terms of characterization and their origins.

Power Girl's initial artistic designs and costumes are blatant fan service, but as far as her actual character goes, she's an incredibly well written character, especially after Infinite Crisis where her real origin is finally confirmed. Between JSA and her ongoing, Karen was probably my favorite heroine in DC behind Wonder Woman (who has had some lows in terms of writing quality, but still enjoyable for the most part).

I think DC speaks to the "hope of a better tomorrow" that most people have, hence they're godlike beings who walk among humanity and larger than life heroes. Conversely, Marvel's always been more along the lines of characters first, powers second (not saying DC doesn't have great characters because they clearly do). Stan Lee (and Kirby and Ditko among others) really helped revolutionize and humanize characters. And really, the entire X-Men mythos is such a brilliant concept that is still relevant to this day. I'm not a huge X-Men/mutant fan outside of a handful of specific characters, but they really struck a gold mine with them. After all, it's only within the past few years that the Avengers franchise finally exploded and became the main draw to the Marvel Universe.

I can't really pick which company is more unique over the other at the end of the day.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 06:53 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Oliver North
Power Girl's origin also involves the artist making her breasts larger and larger until the editor had to tell them to stop.
And I thought chest expansion was one of her powers.

cool

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 06:55 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

I cant really pick sides.

DC Space Operas, and how they build their Magical landscape is much defined than Marvel.

Marvel could write a rich Space Opera rivaling DC's , if they bring on a collaboration where the expansion Eternals, Titans, Shi'ar, Inhumans, Kree, and Skrulls.. in on going titles, instead of bringing macro titles for the sake of a big cheese event.

However Marvel's Paranormal Phenomena, and how it interacts with psychic astral realm, connecting with the mental scape of each individual is much more rich. Hell this shit, hits cosmic order when your write out the Phoenix in properly. But then again I, have always been a sucker a Psionic stories.

That, and how they tackle human evolution, and the persecution of mutants, with everyday racism being applied to the comics. Where's DC metagene, and how it applies to everyday humans is somewhat spiffy. But at least they are making an effort now in DCnU, with the whole Team 7 and the activation of Majestic.

I am picking landscape/plot themes, over characters. Because the characters themselves can not stand on their own, if the story is not properly written.

But if I had to choose. Neither Company. I would chose Image, and Valiant have more imaginative characters to my liking.

Last edited by "Id" on Jun 5th, 2013 at 07:36 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:32 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by zopzop
DC.

I was actually surprised how much Marvel "borrowed" from DC throughout the years.

Doom Patrol, Legion, Superman, Batman, Dr. Fate, The Endless, etc... All characters that Marvel has borrowed from, even if it's just the basic concept.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:33 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Lord Feron
Marvel mostly because of the fact that there are like a gazillion superman (SBP, Ultraman, superboy, Steel, Supergirl, The supermen from other earths and what not, superman dynasty i mean c'mon)/superman-like characters. It's just kinda crazy.

DC is a lot more than just flying bricks. Try some Vertigo titles for once. DC is bigger on MAGIC than flying bricks.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:35 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Originally posted by Golgo13
Batman
You might want to ask Zorro about it.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:39 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Parmaniac
You might want to ask Zorro about it.

I think Batman has had a bigger influence, no?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:40 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

If that's the case, than the X-Men have had a faaaaaaaaaar larger influence on the medium and in pop culture than the Doom Patrol. And the Fantastic Four are infinitely more well known and developed than Challengers of the Unknown.

Let's face it, without one company, the other would have likely failed a long time ago.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:42 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Originally posted by "Id"

DC Space Operas, and how they build their Magical landscape is much defined than Marvel.

Marvel could write a rich Space Opera rivaling DC's , if they bring on a collaboration where the expansion Eternals, Titans, Shi'ar, Inhumans, Kree, and Skrulls.. in on going titles, instead of bringing macro titles for the sake of a big cheese event.

Not only that, but I like Marvel's interaction with Space Gods much more than DC. From Galactus, Celestials, Proemial Gods, and the Watchers etc.. They all play a huge part in the Cosmic Consonance, and have a big impact with the lower lifeforms.

I like the designs much more than Say Imperiex Prime, Anti-Monitor, or anything that can be classified as a Space God.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:44 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
If that's the case, than the X-Men have had a faaaaaaaaaar larger influence on the medium and in pop culture than the Doom Patrol. And the Fantastic Four are infinitely more well known and developed than Challengers of the Unknown.

Let's face it, without one company, the other would have likely failed a long time ago.

I never said Doom Patrol had a larger influence, I said basic concept at the start of their appearances. However as more unique characters, I think Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison) takes the cake.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:44 PM
Bentley
Seitei

My all time favorite powerset is Jack Hawksmoor, so I'm leaning towards DC, but Marvel has more characters which is obviously a great advantage.

I mean, Batroc has savate and jumps.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:47 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I never said Doom Patrol had a larger influence, I said basic concept at the start of their appearances. However as more unique characters, I think Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison) takes the cake.

The point is that virtually every character ever has been inspired in some way by another, whether it's someone from mythology, pulp fiction stories, literature, or other comics.

Sure, DC has the virtue of having a lot of these concepts and characters published before Marvel, but Marvel's writing changed the game completely, showcasing heroes as just normal people with real life problems thrust into extraordinary events, which definitely prompted DC to change things up.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:48 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Bentley
My all time favorite powerset is Jack Hawksmoor, so I'm leaning towards DC, but Marvel has more characters which is obviously a great advantage.

I mean, Batroc has savate and jumps.

Batroc is probably the coolest Frenchman ever published in a comic.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:49 PM
Senor Cage

The point is that virtually every character ever has been inspired in some way by another, whether it's someone from mythology, pulp fiction stories, literature, or other comics.

Sure, DC has the virtue of having a lot of these concepts and characters published before Marvel, but Marvel's writing changed the game completely, showcasing heroes as just normal people with real life problems thrust into extraordinary events, which definitely prompted DC to change things up.

I know, I wasn't debating that.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:49 PM
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

I think Batman has had a bigger influence, no?

Today? Yes, back in the day when Batman was ripped off and other heros were invented? Not so much.

Accusing people/companies to rip shit off of a character while said character is a ripoff himself and then kinda blur it out with "even if it's just the basic concept" is pretty dumb actually. Both have copied certain characters over the time from each other. And probably all famous characters are based on very old stories, there are like 7 different stories to tell and everything else is just reinterpretation/retelling, origins are in the same boat.

Who ultimately came up first with everything is unclear and honestly I don't give a **** if the characters are written well.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Last edited by Parmaniac on Jun 5th, 2013 at 07:55 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 07:53 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

Superman does have a lot of "clones" in terms of power sets in Marvel, but a lot of those clones are radically different in terms of characterization and their origins.

I agree what you saying, even though Marvel Superman clones different characterization they are still clone of Superman, has for to powers, weakens and almost similar origins.

Both companies borrowed from one and another and put their spin there view of character in their eyes, like you said if they didn't one of the companies would be no more.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 08:30 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Cogito
No doubt Marvel has many women, but they aren't necessarily treated with a ton of respect.

Sue Storm is a doormat.
Emma Frost is a ho.
Jean's mentally unstable.
Storm's legit.
etc.

IMO, DC has more of the "strong, independent, & capable" women.

Diana, obviously is one of the trinity.
Power Girl lead the JSA for a time, even with established veterans like Jay and Alan on the roster
etc.

Well, I think it depends on whether you're talking pre or post boot.

Pre-boot, you had in the Batfamily, two Batgirls, huntress, batwoman, and Oracle, Oracle especially in a leadership position.

Now you've got Batwoman and Babs as Batgirl.

You also had a fair number of major B-list heroines wiped out, like Jade and Donna (who was co-leader of the JLA at the time of the reboot!).

And, say what you will about Emma, she's had a leadership role for some time. Though moving off of her, there's Carol Danvers, there's Monica Rambeau, She-Hulk... oh, and a ton of well-written teen female characters like half the Avengers Academy, 2/3rds of the Runaways, and so on.

Originally posted by Oliver North
Power Girl's origin also involves the artist making her breasts larger and larger until the editor had to tell them to stop...

good example...

That's only a myth, her breasts didn't really inflate over the course of her original series.

Last edited by Q99 on Jun 5th, 2013 at 08:35 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 08:31 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

thumb up

Old Post Jun 5th, 2013 09:14 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote