KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great reads that no one knows about..?

Great reads that no one knows about..?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by "Id"
Spawn: Godslayer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn:_Godslayer
Seconded.

If you're a Spawn fan, that is a great mini. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 20th, 2016 12:08 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Copperhead is still good.

First issue of Cry Havoc was pretty mediocre.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2016 09:31 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by krisblaze

Uber's like 4 issues late now also?

Uber is on an announced hiatus.

I think Kieron will get back to it after he finished Mercury Heat.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2016 12:57 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

probably not the type of book the thread is intended for, but did anyone else read the lantern/star trek crossover? i got a good laugh out of it--in a good way and very much enjoyed the 6 issue mini. thumb up

Old Post Mar 19th, 2016 03:19 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Came across a little gem at the comic book store today, the Ragman miniseries from '91-92.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2016 07:29 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i read that once upon a time and remember liking it though little else about it....

Old Post Apr 4th, 2016 09:27 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Meant to mention this a few days ago: Kill Shakespeare.

Just dove into this one, and I am very pleased with it so far. thumb up

Old Post Apr 4th, 2016 09:34 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Anyone reading Unfollow and Clean Room? Two of Vertigo's best.

Old Post May 3rd, 2016 06:50 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

So I got round to reading a few new things recently, not that obscure but worth mentioning, as not sure if many people will have read them.

First it was a couple of older Morrison things- we3 and Kill Your Boyfriend. Very different, but both really good. Kill Your Boyfriend is admittedly super 90s and pop but was entertaining and funny.

we3 on the other hand was incredible- beautiful art and interesting stuff done with layouts etc. And it just makes you pretty sad at points. It's essentially Weapon X crossed with The Incredible Journey, with all that implies.

And I finally got around to reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen after wanting to for awhile- Vol 1, 2, Black Dossier and Vol.3. I found it really enjoyable, not my favourite Moore stuff but still awesome.

I think it's also one of the things that shows how mental Alan Moore is. The sheer amount of research and random references that are in those books is completely ludicrous. Especially as loads of it might not even be picked up on. Say what you will about Moore, the man is passionate and dedicated to making stuff how he wants it to be done.

That being said the whole message of Vol. 3 does make him look like a grumpy ageing old man (which I guess is true) even if I do vaguely get what he's trying to say.

Also, is anyone here reading Wicked + The Divine? Not sure if people have mentioned it but if not, worth reading. It yet another thing that pretty much confirms that Gillen and Mckelvie and some of the best at what they do.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post May 15th, 2016 11:48 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
Also, is anyone here reading Wicked + The Divine? Not sure if people have mentioned it but if not, worth reading. It yet another thing that pretty much confirms that Gillen and Mckelvie and some of the best at what they do.

I just started. I'm something like 10 issues in. It's...interesting. I really like parts of it, and another part of me thinks they're just co-opting Gaiman's Endless and giving them some baser instincts. I'll withhold judgement until I get a bit deeper and have some time to think on it.

Originally posted by Galan007
Meant to mention this a few days ago: Kill Shakespeare.

Just dove into this one, and I am very pleased with it so far. thumb up

Ha. Somewhere in this thread I may have mentioned this one. There's actually a board game based on this comic that I want to get. I'm not sure if the comic itself is great. But it's got that "crossover you never knew you wanted" appeal to it, so it gets a thumb up from me. The central love story alone is pretty hilarious to think about from a Shakespearean canon perspective. As an English nerd, it's a cheap thrill, but a thrill nonetheless.

Originally posted by leonidas
probably not the type of book the thread is intended for, but did anyone else read the lantern/star trek crossover? i got a good laugh out of it--in a good way and very much enjoyed the 6 issue mini. thumb up

Star Trek is a crossover sl*t. But it's always entertaining. One of my favorite crossovers that I have is the Doctor Who/Star Trek: TNG crossover. They fight the Cybermen and Borg; it's great fun.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 2nd, 2016 at 03:33 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2016 03:27 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

PunisherMAX is so amazing and underrated.

Sex Criminals is awesome.

Archie is so much fun to read.

Transmetropolitan, The Boys, The Invisibles, and Just a Pilgrim are so cool.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2016 02:57 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

On the Archie note, have you read "Afterlife With Archie"..?

The horror-esque overtone, in conjunction with the steller artwork, is just fantastic. thumb up

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2016 03:52 PM
Impediment
Endless

I'll definitely pick it up. Writer and artist?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2016 05:00 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Artist: Francesco Francavilla
Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

It will not disappoint you. thumb up

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2016 10:45 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Not sure this counts as "no one knows about it" but I decided to give Moore's run on Swamp Thing a read. It's one of his "iconic" runs, though perhaps behind his best known stuff like Watchmen and VfV. Years of reading DC comics means that I've already absorbed most of the backstory that, at the time, would have been much more surprising. But it's really well done. The Floronic Man (semi-origin) stuff is particularly cool. Apparently he jumps the shark later on when he becomes composed entirely of marijuana (?!?!), but fortunately this doesn't seem to include any of that nonsense.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 3rd, 2016 at 02:54 AM

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 02:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Facee
Lord of Pretty

Originally posted by krisblaze
Came across a little gem at the comic book store today, the Ragman miniseries from '91-92.

People actually go to comic book stores nowadays confused

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 06:19 AM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Used comics.

I picked up 'Ghostdancing' a week ago. Pretty darn good.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 09:24 AM
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Originally posted by Digi
Not sure this counts as "no one knows about it" but I decided to give Moore's run on Swamp Thing a read. It's one of his "iconic" runs, though perhaps behind his best known stuff like Watchmen and VfV. Years of reading DC comics means that I've already absorbed most of the backstory that, at the time, would have been much more surprising. But it's really well done. The Floronic Man (semi-origin) stuff is particularly cool. Apparently he jumps the shark later on when he becomes composed entirely of marijuana (?!?!), but fortunately this doesn't seem to include any of that nonsense.

I don't think Moore's Swamp Thing run jumps the shark at any point. it reamins a brilliant run throughout

I mean it definitely gets weird at later points, but not bad, just very different (and fairly ambitious for the time it was written) and it's still one of the best things he's ever done.

For me it's better than Watchmen, up there with VfV and From Hell.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 03:37 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Unfollow is such an awesome book

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 7th, 2016 07:37 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

What if we turned this into a list? As-in, we have title, author, and a brief description for everything, then list them in alphabetical order (or by company?) on the first page. I feel like the description is the most important part, even if we just pull a Wiki synopsis or something. I'd probably just remake the thread...this is a great thread, but it's a bit of a mess.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2016 01:26 AM