KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great reads that no one knows about..?

Great reads that no one knows about..?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Agreed with Crossgen. As for Doom Patrol, it's absolutely mundane compared to the Peter Milligan run of Shade the Changing Man. Now that was weird.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jun 12th, 2013 12:14 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

old series called grim jack. really used to love that series. sure most have read the killing joke. planetary was one of my all-time fave reads.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2013 08:55 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
planetary was one of my all-time fave reads.

^ This. I left it out of mine because I figured it might be mainstream enough that we don't need to mention it. But we probably do. Planetary might be the best comic I've ever read.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2013 09:16 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
soopercavell
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
^ This. I left it out of mine because I figured it might be mainstream enough that we don't need to mention it. But we probably do. Planetary might be the best comic I've ever read.

Planetary is the best comic you have ever read.

"The Nazz" is an unknown gem published by DC and created by Veitch and Talbot.

In Warrior, the black and white Magazine that gave us V for Vendetta DC and Marvelman later Miracleman for Eclipse, the unfinished Father Shandor and Bojeffries saga are both very good. Shame it only lasted 26 issues.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2013 06:14 PM
soopercavell is currently offline Click here to Send soopercavell a Private Message Find more posts by soopercavell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

A few more obscure series' I've recently read and would like to mention because I thought they were quite good:
Saga
Elephantmen

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 18th, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2013 10:13 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
comicfan11
Ocean's Heaviest Hitter

JLA : Riddle of the Beast (Elseworlds, Lord of the Rings DCU style, not great per se but really interesting with amazing artwork)

JLA : Gatekeeper (three part mini, JLA goes to a magical dimension to help save one of Kyle Rayner's ex gf's, great fantasy setting with JLA=win - they even go to D&D like quests and it's not Elseworlds)

Twilight (nothing to do with sparkly vamps - it's a 4 issue mini by Howard Chaykin and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, set in the DC future with many of DC's Silver Age space characters, published in 1990)

Batman and the Monstermen & Batman and the Mad Monk (two of the best and most FUN Batman minis ever by Matt Wagner, set during the first years of Bats-also great twists)

Batman The Doom that Came to Gotham (Elseworlds Horror Batman set in previous era written and drawn by Mike Mignola - nuff said)

Last edited by comicfan11 on Oct 21st, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2013 11:05 PM
comicfan11 is currently offline Click here to Send comicfan11 a Private Message Find more posts by comicfan11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

I rarely have a good beat on what's 'mainstream' for comic readers, but I'm super enjoying Saga by Brian K Vaughan.

I also love Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina by him, worth checking out if you like Saga and are waiting for the next issues.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2013 12:37 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Y: The Last Man is incredible. thumb up

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2013 04:09 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by Galan007
^ Y: The Last Man is incredible. thumb up
This. Maybe my favourite comic ever.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2013 05:37 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I'll go ahead and endorse Y: The Last Man too. It's great, and I've ran into waaaay too many people who haven't read it.

Read it. Seriously.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2013 07:15 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I remember reading Y years ago. Can't remember if I ever finished it though. Might be worth checking into again. I enjoyed it, and would recommend it to almost anyone, but wouldn't have it in my top 5.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2013 08:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Y was good, I thought.

I enjoyed Crossed, as completely insane as it was. You just have to have the stomach for it.

I thought the series "Sex" was good, about a retired Batman-type trying to build a life.

Shi is a classic for me. Same with Kabuki, though I haven't seen new stuff of them in a while.

The Walking Dead comic is pretty good, and it surprises me how many people don't know it's a comic even now.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2013 09:08 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Legends from Darkwood by Antarctic Press.

It's a comic about a unicorn hunter, and the daughter of a town-supported-by-unicorn-hunting who hates the unicorn hunter. Oh, and a unicorn who makes a pact with a devil to gain the power to kill the humans who hunt them. It's got great art, great humor, and it's just really fun.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2013 10:13 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Zaucer of Zilk.

It is brilliantly bizarre. thumb up

Old Post Nov 12th, 2013 04:59 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

anyone read american vampire? i'm really enjoying it so far. i think the back stories by stephen king.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 12:13 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I've heard good things, but haven't read yet. Worth it?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 12:24 AM
Senor Cage

Girls by Joshua and Jonathan Luna.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2013 01:43 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I actually read some issues of Girls years ago. I don't remember why I stopped following it. I just kinda did. Might look into it again.

You ever read Ultra, Golgo? It's by the same guys.

Last edited by StyleTime on Nov 14th, 2013 at 07:51 AM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2013 07:48 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Galan007
I've heard good things, but haven't read yet. Worth it?

i'm only 6 issues in, but yeah, so far i'm really enjoying it. the idea behind it (of evolving vamps) is pretty cool. old school vamps vs new school. and the king character is typical king and quite cool.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2013 12:14 PM
maxivitopowe
Herr Universem

Saga is a Good Read

Ignore list : BoardWalker

Old Post Nov 19th, 2013 03:08 PM
maxivitopowe is currently offline Click here to Send maxivitopowe a Private Message Find more posts by maxivitopowe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote