KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great reads that no one knows about..?

Great reads that no one knows about..?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
I actually read some issues of Girls years ago. I don't remember why I stopped following it. I just kinda did. Might look into it again.

You ever read Ultra, Golgo? It's by the same guys.

I was gonna, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2013 08:30 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

not sure it qualifies as little known, but has anyone been following east of west...?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2013 12:21 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Rage recommended it to me. I read the first issue, and didn't stop reading until I caught up with all 7 issues.

Great series.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 1st, 2013 05:49 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Originally posted by Galan007
Rage recommended it to me. I read the first issue, and didn't stop reading until I caught up with all 7 issues.

Great series.

You're welcome. In repayment, I claim your firstborn child.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2013 01:23 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Been re-reading some old favorites. On a Batman kick this week. I knocked out Long Halloween, Year One, and Dark Knight Returns.

Since those aren't remotely obscure, I'll add another couple I enjoy from my collection:

The Masterplan, by Scott Mills. It's Sci-fi, and touches on quite a few interesting ideas in a vaguely sciency and/or philosophical way.

Also, "An Elegy for Amelia Johnson." It's not standard comic fare - it's about a girl losing a battle with cancer and nearing the end of her life. The plot is a touch contrived, but it's incredibly moving.
http://www.amazon.com/Elegy-Amelia-...n/dp/1932386831

Old Post Dec 4th, 2013 04:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Great series.

rage huh? well....i'll keep reading anyway.

you try american vampire yet? consider me an addict. can't stop reading it. love the premise, super awesome main villain (how can someone named skinner sweet NOT be cool?) and i like the artwork--works for the genre. if you've not got on it, get gettin' on!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2013 06:57 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Digi
Been re-reading some old favorites. On a Batman kick this week. I knocked out Long Halloween, Year One, and Dark Knight Returns.

Since those aren't remotely obscure, I'll add another couple I enjoy from my collection:

The Masterplan, by Scott Mills. It's Sci-fi, and touches on quite a few interesting ideas in a vaguely sciency and/or philosophical way.

Also, "An Elegy for Amelia Johnson." It's not standard comic fare - it's about a girl losing a battle with cancer and nearing the end of her life. The plot is a touch contrived, but it's incredibly moving.
http://www.amazon.com/Elegy-Amelia-...n/dp/1932386831

dark knight holds up...damn, that was good stuff. thumb up

Old Post Dec 4th, 2013 06:58 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by leonidas
you try american vampire yet? consider me an addict. can't stop reading it. love the premise, super awesome main villain (how can someone named skinner sweet NOT be cool?) and i like the artwork--works for the genre. if you've not got on it, get gettin' on!
Not yet, but I plan on starting it today or tomorrow... I'd better like it.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2013 02:51 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

embarrasment

Old Post Dec 5th, 2013 08:49 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

embarrasment
8 issues deep, and I'm hooked. Very interesting story so far.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2013 11:06 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

thumb up

Old Post Dec 6th, 2013 01:17 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

dark knight holds up...damn, that was good stuff. thumb up

Funny, I was thinking it was the most dated of the three I listed. Still damn good, as you said, it just felt a touch anachronistic at times, at least for where comics were during that era.

I'm quite certain the Superman v. Batman movie will draw from it some, though, especially since Affleck is a bit older. I'm looking forward to seeing elements of it brought to the 21st century.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2013 03:30 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Just thought of another nominee for this thread: Demon Knights.

It definitely wasn't popular or mainstream(cancelled after only 23 issues), but if you're into the Medieval/King Arthur/Merlin/Avalon/Mystic-esque genre(with several other great characters thrown in the mix), it had a damn good story. One of the better stories I've ever read pertaining to that genre, in fact. Quite brilliant.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2013 08:28 PM
Cogito

Demon Knights was one of my favorites. Consistently good week after week, even if they did tear Neil Gaiman, Mike Carey, and Lucifer a new one.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Dec 6th, 2013 09:12 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Just thought of another nominee for this thread: Demon Knights.

It definitely wasn't popular or mainstream(cancelled after only 23 issues), but if you're into the Medieval/King Arthur/Merlin/Avalon/Mystic-esque genre(with several other great characters thrown in the mix), it had a damn good story. One of the better stories I've ever read pertaining to that genre, in fact. Quite brilliant.

hmm, don't think i've heard of it. will check it out.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2013 09:35 PM
dmills
Centurion Prime

Nexus (recommended for Galan)
Elephant Men
Absolution
Planetoid
Halcyon
Alien Legion
Hypernaturals
Days Missing
Shrapnel
The Amory Wars (Also for Galan)

Last edited by dmills on Dec 7th, 2013 at 03:36 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2013 03:32 AM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by dmills
Elephant Men
HA. You're the only other person I've encountered on this site who is even familiar with this title. thumb up

I'll check out the two series' you recommended after I finish up American Vampire.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2013 06:17 PM
dmills
Centurion Prime

HA. You're the only other person I've encountered on this site who is even familiar with this title. thumb up

I'll check out the two series' you recommended after I finish up American Vampire.

Lol, yeah. I've been up on Elephant Men for about 3 years or so now. Excellent series. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Nexus has your name written all over it. Just the right amount of quirkiness, action and drama. One of the more strongly written Indy titles in its day.

Amory Wars is just, well, you'll have to read it lol.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2013 10:29 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by dmills
Lol, yeah. I've been up on Elephant Men for about 3 years or so now. Excellent series. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Nexus has your name written all over it. Just the right amount of quirkiness, action and drama. One of the more strongly written Indy titles in its day.

Amory Wars is just, well, you'll have to read it lol.
I just discovered EM not too terribly long ago(maybe a year.) It really is a great series... Thoroughly enjoy it. thumb up

DL'ing Amory Wars and Nexus now... Is Nexus a 'First Comics' publication?

_______

Also, I've found that after reading some of the more enjoyable Indie series'(many of which have been mentioned in this thread), most of the mainstream titles from Marvel and DC are just, well, kind of boring in comparison.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 8th, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Old Post Dec 8th, 2013 10:53 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

^yeah, unfortunately, that happens sometimes. erm

Old Post Dec 8th, 2013 11:11 PM