KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Great reads that no one knows about..?

Great reads that no one knows about..?
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dmills
Centurion Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I just discovered EM not too terribly long ago(maybe a year.) It really is a great series... Thoroughly enjoy it. thumb up

DL'ing Amory Wars and Nexus now... Is Nexus a 'First Comics' publication?

_______

Also, I've found that after reading some of the more enjoyable Indie series'(many of which have been mentioned in this thread), most of the mainstream titles from Marvel and DC are just, well, kind of boring in comparison.

Yep. There's 100+ issues so it's a decent amount of material to get through. Did you get a chance to read the wiki info?

Yeah, anything can happen. Something that gets lost in mainstream comics for obvious reasons. One of the reasons that Annihilation was lightning in a bottle was that they were able to take mostly b and c list characters and make a truly compelling event where everyone was up for grabs.

Last edited by dmills on Dec 8th, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Old Post Dec 8th, 2013 11:34 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

fables
Jack of fables
Fairest
Sex criminals
Brat Pack

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 02:32 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by dmills
Yep. There's 100+ issues so it's a decent amount of material to get through. Did you get a chance to read the wiki info?

Yeah, anything can happen. Something that gets lost in mainstream comics for obvious reasons. One of the reasons that Annihilation was lightning in a bottle was that they were able to take mostly b and c list characters and make a truly compelling event where everyone was up for grabs.
Yeah, read the wiki info on it. Sounds very intriguing... Will def start reading after I wrap up AV.

Couldn't agree more. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 9th, 2013 02:37 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Well, I finally finished American Vampire. Great stuff, leo... Thanks for the recommendation. thumb up

I think I'll commit to reading Nexus after I read the last few issues of Dynamite's 'The Shadow' that I fell behind in these past few months. For the record: Dynamite Comics is probably my favorite company, pound-for-pound. They are able to put an excellent modern twist on these(in some cases very) old characters/titles they've resurrected, while still managing to hold true to their original theme. 'The Shadow' is a prime example of that-- just a great all-around action story.

[edit]
Oh, and Goober recommended Marvel's 'Sleepwalker' to me. I've got it DL'd, but have never actually read it. I'd like to hear some opinion on it..?

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 13th, 2013 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 04:33 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Well, I finally finished American Vampire. Great stuff, leo... Thanks for the recommendation. thumb up

I think I'll commit to reading Nexus after I read the last few issues of Dynamite's 'The Shadow' that I fell behind in these past few months. For the record: Dynamite Comics is probably my favorite company, pound-for-pound. They are able to put an excellent modern twist on these(in some cases very) old characters/titles they've resurrected, while still managing to hold true to their original theme. 'The Shadow' is a prime example of that-- just a great all-around action story.

[edit]
Oh, and Goober recommended Marvel's 'Sleepwalker' to me. I've got it DL'd, but have never actually read it. I'd like to hear some opinion on it..?

glad you liked it. can't wait til issue 35.... sleepwalker was....meh. it had some cool ideas and elements in it, but overall it was pretty weak imo. knowing the kind of stuff you tend towards, i'd be a little surprised if you really liked it, but who knows.

have you read the wake? snyder is doing it--it's the reason he's on sabbatical from AV. i like it quite a bit. definitely engaging, and i'm really curious to see where it's going.

has anyone read the league of extraordinary gentlemen? just started it and gotta say i'm impressed with the first couple issues anyway....

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 08:57 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by leonidas
glad you liked it. can't wait til issue 35.... sleepwalker was....meh. it had some cool ideas and elements in it, but overall it was pretty weak imo. knowing the kind of stuff you tend towards, i'd be a little surprised if you really liked it, but who knows.

have you read the wake? snyder is doing it--it's the reason he's on sabbatical from AV. i like it quite a bit. definitely engaging, and i'm really curious to see where it's going.

has anyone read the league of extraordinary gentlemen? just started it and gotta say i'm impressed with the first couple issues anyway....
Yeah, from what I gather #35 is *supposed* to be released in March 2014... Although it was originally *supposed* to be released before the new year, so we'll see what happens. I've heard great things about The Wake, but haven't read it. Worthwhile?

I read LoEG years ago after the film came out. I wasn't overly fond of it, though... Hyde's rape/murder of IM was a completely unneeded 'plot-point' and soured me on the series as a whole. /shrug

Regarding Sleepwalker: thanks for the heads up. I'll put it on my 'rainy day list'. stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 09:06 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

haven't gotten far enough into lxg yet to know what you're talking about. guess i'll keep going and see what happens. if you want a fun series see if you can find grimjack anywhere. i loved that series. ostrander wrote it and tim truman drew it and both are always pretty solid. it's a fun, adventure-style read.

Last edited by leonidas on Dec 13th, 2013 at 09:29 PM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 09:26 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Whoops. Spoiler alert. embarrasment

I DL'd Grimjack after I saw you mention it earlier in this thread... Tough series to find. The problem I'm running into with this thread is that there have been SO many good recommendations that it's hard for me to keep up with them all, lol.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 09:38 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Whoops. Spoiler alert. embarrasment

I DL'd Grimjack after I saw you mention it earlier in this thread... Tough series to find. The problem I'm running into with this thread is that there have been SO many good recommendations that it's hard for me to keep up with them all, lol.

yeah, i figured digitally grimjack would be a tough find. were you able to get it? don't worry about lxg. lol

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 09:48 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Yeah, I was finally able to get the entire Grimjack run+all the minis/specials. There were only 2 people seeding the torrent, though, so it took several days for the DL to complete.

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 13th, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 10:27 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

lol that SUCKS when that happens.....you use kickass? have you read any of the series yet?

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 11:05 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

For torrents I use either Kickass or PirateBay. Haven't read any of it quite yet... I may start reading it, in tandem with Nexus, while I'm at work this weekend...

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 11:12 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

you better.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2013 11:20 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

I go back and re-read Vengeance every couple of months.

Not sure how everyone would like it, but it's probably my favorite mini

Old Post Dec 14th, 2013 08:41 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Legend of Miracle Monday.

Last Son of Krypton

Luthor's Gift.

Starwinds Howl.

All great novels from Elliot S Maggin, my second favorite writer after Grant Morrison.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2013 11:57 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Branlor Swift
I go back and re-read Vengeance every couple of months.

Not sure how everyone would like it, but it's probably my favorite mini

who put it out? when?

Old Post Dec 14th, 2013 08:52 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

Old Post Dec 14th, 2013 09:02 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

For torrents I use either Kickass or PirateBay. Haven't read any of it quite yet... I may start reading it, in tandem with Nexus, while I'm at work this weekend...
They been on a rampage for piratebay lately. Better get what you can.

Rachel Rising has been interesting. Morning Glories less so.

Made by Jugg666

Last edited by HueyFreeman on Dec 14th, 2013 at 09:40 PM

Old Post Dec 14th, 2013 09:35 PM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Branlor Swift
http://marvel.com/comics/issue/38985/vengeance_2011_1

ahhh, now i recall. i did read that and it was very good. thumb up mags has always had one of the great back stories in all of comicdom. very progressive. that's one of the reasons i've always liked him.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2013 02:13 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

has anyone else read the early elfquest books? i thought they were done really well.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2013 02:14 PM